Dave Baker

Default 'kin ell it's hot

According to the trusty fridge thermometer

10pm

Outside - 25c (77F)
Downstairs with all the windows open - 27c (81F)
Upstairs to where all the heat has riz - 31c (88F)

1am
Outside - 21.5c (71F)
Downstairs - 26c (79F)
Upstairs - not going back up there again after last time.

Trouble is, with the windows open there are now more moths inside the bloody
house than outside I think. I need a bat.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.
John Rumm

Dave Baker wrote:

1am
Outside - 21.5c (71F)
Downstairs - 26c (79F)
Upstairs - not going back up there again after last time.

SWMBO just informed me its 32c in the bedroom.... me thinks I might stay
hear and cuddle the aircon for a bit!

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris Oates

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
1am
Outside - 21.5c (71F)
Downstairs - 26c (79F)
Upstairs - not going back up there again after last time.

move to Cornwall - haven't seen the sun for 3 days !
bit humid daytime but nights quite pleasant

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
Trouble is, with the windows open there are now more moths inside the
bloody house than outside I think. I need a bat.

Be easier to hit them with a fly whisk.

I bought a rather nice mains LED thermometer off eBay for a couple of quid
- it's ex equipment by Digitron. Installed it in the kitchen above the
built in amplifier and drilled a hole in the outside wall for the probe.
It was hovering around 35 all day, so I suppose it's pretty accurate.
Still reading 22 even at this time. Of course it didn't occur to me until
it was fitted and fired up that you don't really need a four figure
display for the weather - yet. Wonder if I can alter it to read two digits
and oC?

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
parish

Dave Baker wrote:

According to the trusty fridge thermometer

10pm

Outside - 25c (77F)
Downstairs with all the windows open - 27c (81F)
Upstairs to where all the heat has riz - 31c (88F)

1am
Outside - 21.5c (71F)
Downstairs - 26c (79F)
Upstairs - not going back up there again after last time.

Trouble is, with the windows open there are now more moths inside the bloody
house than outside I think. I need a bat.

Here's a tip; sleep outdoors.

Yesterday I bought a sunlonger[1] and last night I slept outside on the
patio (well, the sunlounger was on the patio, I was on the sunlounger
;-) ) wearing nowt but a pair of shorts[2]; woke up at ~06:30 and it was
a tad nippy so went to bed as the bedroom had now cooled down (thanks to
SWMBO sleeping with the windows wide open).

I can see the sunlounger on the patio beckoning me as I type :-)

Sweet dreams.

[1] Initially went to Homebase who had decided that the hottest week in
the year (potentially the hottest since records began) would be a good
time to re-arrange the store, so all the outdoor stuff was piled in a
heap where it was impossible to find anything. Went to Focus instead.

[2] *NO!* I *don't* have a webcam ;-)

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
Dave Baker wrote:

1am
Outside - 21.5c (71F)
Downstairs - 26c (79F)
Upstairs - not going back up there again after last time.

SWMBO just informed me its 32c in the bedroom.... me thinks I might stay
hear and cuddle the aircon for a bit!

Here (North Hampshire) at around 1am it was:

Aug 7 00:54:35 Temperature - Outdoors 23.0
Aug 7 00:58:11 Temperature - Loft 28.0
Aug 7 00:59:23 Temperature - Bedroom 28.0
Aug 7 01:00:28 Temperature - Fridge 2.5
Aug 7 01:02:53 Temperature - Freezer -22.5
Aug 7 01:09:08 Temperature - Garage 27.5

These were a couple of highs from yesterday:

Aug 6 15:02:56 Temperature - Loft 44.0
Aug 6 16:41:49 Temperature - Outdoors 38.0

The outdoors reading is subject to overreading when sun's out,
as it isn't adequately shielded from reradiated heat from nearby
surfaces. (It's actually quite hard to measure outdoor temperature
properly.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Ed

Dave Baker wrote in message
According to the trusty fridge thermometer

10pm

Outside - 25c (77F)
Downstairs with all the windows open - 27c (81F)
Upstairs to where all the heat has riz - 31c (88F)

1am
Outside - 21.5c (71F)
Downstairs - 26c (79F)
Upstairs - not going back up there again after last time.

In my dad's gaff, a couple of rooms are like one of those old night storage
heaters. The (south-facing!) bricks heat up and it's like an oven in there
for at least 3 hours after everyone else's place has cooled down a few
degrees.

RichardS

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
According to the trusty fridge thermometer

10pm

Outside - 25c (77F)
Downstairs with all the windows open - 27c (81F)
Upstairs to where all the heat has riz - 31c (88F)

1am
Outside - 21.5c (71F)
Downstairs - 26c (79F)
Upstairs - not going back up there again after last time.

Trouble is, with the windows open there are now more moths inside the

bloody
house than outside I think. I need a bat.

We've been feeling pretty smug about the decision to fit ceiling fans in the
bedrooms a couple of years ago...

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
The outdoors reading is subject to overreading when sun's out,
as it isn't adequately shielded from reradiated heat from nearby
surfaces. (It's actually quite hard to measure outdoor temperature
properly.)

Having just installed one with at the moment the probe simply sticking out
of the wall, any tips on the best way of both making it look as good as
possible with some form of cover which also helps the accuracy?

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

AndyC the WB

"RichardS" == RichardS noaccess@invalid writes:
RichardS We've been feeling pretty smug about the decision to fit
RichardS ceiling fans in the bedrooms a couple of years ago...

One of the best bits of work I ever did.

|Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk |
| http://www.cunningham.me.uk/rangie - Everything you wanted to know |
| about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |
"The world has gone crazy: The best rapper is a white guy, the best
golfer is a black guy, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and
Germany doesn't want to go to war." -- Anon
N. Thornton

parish parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote in message t...
Dave Baker wrote:

Downstairs with all the windows open - 27c (81F)
Upstairs to where all the heat has riz - 31c (88F)

Just what did the temp hit yesterday? It was 30C indoors, and I know
outside was much hotter.... just how hot is hell?

Regards, NT
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Dave Plowman writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
The outdoors reading is subject to overreading when sun's out,
as it isn't adequately shielded from reradiated heat from nearby
surfaces. (It's actually quite hard to measure outdoor temperature
properly.)

Having just installed one with at the moment the probe simply sticking out
of the wall, any tips on the best way of both making it look as good as
possible with some form of cover which also helps the accuracy?

The temperature the met office reports is the air temperature.
Measuring that without picking up reradiated heat is difficult.
I dare say some google searching might reveal their methods.
Probably a good place to measure that would be under a canopy
of vegitation which is blocking the sunlight, and dense enough
not to allow reeradiated heat down, but open enough for free
flow of air. Also need to keep sensor dry, or you will be
measuring the wet bulb temperature when it rains.

What I was thinking of doing was placing two sensors, probably
around opposite sides of the house, and using the lowest reading
at any one time. I don't have a north facing wall -- all my walls
get sunlight at some point in the day.

Another factor you might consider is that when you walk around
outside, you do feel the effects of direct sunlight and reradiated
heat, so from some points of view, thet might be more representative
of what you actually feel. However, it won't match weather forcast
figures if you were wanting to compare with those, and you couldn't
even compare two sensors as the effects of reradiated heat would
never be the same in two different places.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Tim Mitchell

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Dave Plowman writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
The outdoors reading is subject to overreading when sun's out,
as it isn't adequately shielded from reradiated heat from nearby
surfaces. (It's actually quite hard to measure outdoor temperature
properly.)

Having just installed one with at the moment the probe simply sticking out
of the wall, any tips on the best way of both making it look as good as
possible with some form of cover which also helps the accuracy?

The temperature the met office reports is the air temperature.
Measuring that without picking up reradiated heat is difficult.
I dare say some google searching might reveal their methods.

I believe you put the sensor in a "screen" (a white painted cupboard
with louvred doors on all sides, on legs) which has to be a certain
height (1 metre?) above mown grass.
--
Tim Mitchell
jerrybuilt

Andrew McKay wrote:
Dave Baker wrote:

Trouble is, with the windows open there are now more moths
inside the bloody house than outside I think. I need a bat.

Get one of those camping lamps which attract flying things and
stick it on a pole in the garden.

It won't stop the moths coming in the house but you will get a
certain amount of satisfaction from hearing the pops as his
brothers and sisters get fried out in the garden.

Alternatively, to avoid frying possible rarities and in any
event to avoid such unfriendliness to wildlife, frame up some
screens to put in your windows!

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Chris Hodges

tony sayer wrote:
FWIW and off topic,

Never stopped anyone yet
but anyone notice more butterflies than usual this
year?..

Apparently higher numbers have been recorded this year (source=wife,
don't know her source though)

--
Chris
-----

Essjay001

Dave Baker wrote:

Downstairs with all the windows open - 27c (81F)
Upstairs to where all the heat has riz - 31c (88F)

Just what did the temp hit yesterday? It was 30C indoors, and I know
outside was much hotter.... just how hot is hell?

That's easy 50 degs. I worked Mar/Oct of 2001 in Kuwait 50 was not unusual
in the middle of summer, but then it always summed there. Kuwait is the
hottest permanently inhabited place on earth, so I have been informed.

Steve R
--
"Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect
for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you

John Laird

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:52:16 +0100, Tim Mitchell
wrote:

In article , Andrew Gabriel

The temperature the met office reports is the air temperature.
Measuring that without picking up reradiated heat is difficult.
I dare say some google searching might reveal their methods.

I believe you put the sensor in a "screen" (a white painted cupboard
with louvred doors on all sides, on legs) which has to be a certain
height (1 metre?) above mown grass.

I'm not sure if it has to be above any particular surface, but it must be
shaded both from the sun and the wind.

Of course, what humans feel is a more "real" temperature in many senses. If
the sun is blazing down on tarmac or concrete, it will feel a darn sight
hotter than inside a shady box. My car sensor informed it was 31C above the
M6/M60 on Monday evening at 7pm. I don't much care if the Met Office only
recorded 27 in Manchester at 2pm or whatever - I was immersed in the stuff
at a muggy 31 ! I willingly sacrificed a couple of mpg to be at a dry 21C,
it has to be said...

--
John

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Chris Hodges wrote:
Yeah - hard wire the LEDs on the 3rd and 4th digits. Could be fun if
the only way to do it is mod a surface-mount board though.

No - it's not surface mount, thank god.

--
*Can atheists get insurance for acts of God? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Ian Clowes

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message ...

We've been feeling pretty smug about the decision to fit ceiling fans in the
bedrooms a couple of years ago...

Hi

Us too. Extremely good value to fit and run c.f. a/c.

IanC
Andrew McKay

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:47:03 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

FWIW and off topic, but anyone notice more butterflies than usual this
year?..

Yep. I've had red admirals in my study and also in my garage, both
with the windows open.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
N. Thornton

tony sayer wrote in message ...

FWIW and off topic, but anyone notice more butterflies than usual this
year?..

Dont they melt in this weather?

35C - thats 95F. ****.

Regards, NT
parish

AndyC the WB wrote:

I was in Death Valley, California, earlier this year. 46degrees C in
the shade - so it was still relatively cool by their standards. They

It was about that (115F) when we visited the Dead Sea years ago but,
because of the low humidity it was bearable. Probably not the best
holiday destination nowadays but, if you get the chance, it's worth
going; floating on the Dead Sea still rates as one of the wierdest
experiences I've ever had. As a bonus, the atmosphere there blocks
nearly all UV in the sunlight.

regularly see peak temperatures in the mid 50's:

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/MichaelLevin.shtml

So now I've visited the driest place in the Western Hemisphere (also
Death Valley), the Wettest place in the world, the hottest place in
the word, and you can keep the coldest!

Incidentally, if you're complaining about the amount of rainfall in
the UK, Mount Wei'ale'ale on Kauai, the smallest of the 4 main
Hawaiian islands, has a long term average of 450 inches of rainfall a
year (or almost 1.25" per day), and a record of over 650" in a year.

AndyC

Chris Holmes

Someone asked how hot hell is?

This may shed some light.....

SOME INTELLECTUAL HUMOR
Is Hell exothermic or Endothermic
===================================

This is a true story.........(Well they always are aren't they!)

A thermodynamics professor had written a take-home exam for his graduate
students. It had one question.

Is hell exothermic or endothermic? Support your answer with a proof.
(exothermic is when something releases heat and endothermic is when
something generates heat)

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law or
some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

"First, we postulate that if souls exist, they must have some mass. If
they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are
souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving" I think that
we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave.
Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering hell, let's look
at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their
religion, you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these
religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can
project that all people and all souls go to hell. With birth and death
rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase
exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states
that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same,
the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant.

#1 So, if hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which
souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will
increase until all hell breaks loose.

#2 Of course, if hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of
souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell
freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given me by Jennifer Smith
during Freshman year, and take into account the fact that I still have
not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then #2 cannot be
true, and hell is exothermic."

The student got an A

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
(Chris Holmes) writes:
Someone asked how hot hell is?

This may shed some light.....

SOME INTELLECTUAL HUMOR

That reminded me of some less intellectual humor which came
round our office...

After being nearly snowbound for two weeks last winter, a Seattle Man
departed for his vacation in Miami Beach, where he was to meet his wife the
next day at the conclusion of her business trip to Minneapolis. They
were looking forward to pleasant weather and a nice time together.
Unfortunately, there was some sort of mix up at the boarding gate, and
the man was told he would have to wait for a later flight. He tried to
appeal to a supervisor
but was told the airline was not responsible for the problem and it
would do no good to complain.

Upon arrival at the Miami hotel the next day, he discovered that Miami
Beach was having a heat wave, and its weather was almost as
uncomfortably hot as
Seattle was cold. The desk clerk gave him a message that his wife would
arrive as planned. He could hardly wait to get to the pool area to cool
off, and quickly sent his wife an e-mail, but due to his haste, he made
an error in the address.

His message therefore arrived at the home of an elderly preachers wife
whose even older husband had died only the day before. When the grieving
widow opened her e-mail, she took one look at the monitor, let out an
anguished scream, and fell to the floor dead. Her family rushed to her
room where they saw this message on the screen:

Dearest wife,
Departed yesterday as you know. Just now got checked in. Some confusion
at the gate. Appeal was denied. Received confirmation of your arrival
tomorrow.
Your loving husband.

P.S. Things are not as we thought. You are going to be surprised at how
hot it is down here.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 14:02:22 +0000, parish wrote:

It was about that (115F) when we visited the Dead Sea years ago

Only 43C (109F) at Eilat but that was to damn hot. Thought I'd go for
a walk to the old town from the modern hotel. I got about 50yards
agross the carpark in full sun (so proably 50C) before deciding it
was a silly idea and retreating to the cool 43C shade of a tree before
braving full sun to get back to the airconed hotel...

if you get the chance, it's worth going; floating on the Dead Sea
still rates as one of the wierdest experiences I've ever had.

Agreed, most odd when you feet lift off the bottom when you only in
water up to you knees. Just don't get the stuff in your eyes if hurts,
and hurts a lot and you can't rub your eyes as your hands have the
water on them. You just have to stick it out until your tears wash the
concentrated salt solution out.

As a bonus, the atmosphere there blocks nearly all UV in the
sunlight.

Very handy for the sensitive skinned. I often wonder how much more UV
there is at +1400' compared to 0'. After all the Dead Sea is only
-1000' and that extra 1000' of air acts as a very good UV filter.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:43:06 +0100, Dave Plowman wrote:

Having just installed one with at the moment the probe simply
sticking out of the wall, any tips on the best way of both making it
look as good as possible with some form of cover which also helps
the accuracy?

A Stephenson screen at the corfect distance from the mown grass and
other objects would get you close to the Met Office readings but it is
generally accepted that they can overread by a couple of degrees C
under certain conditions (basically sunny and still).

My AWS external temperature probe is under the exteneded northfacing
gable eave of the shed roof. Inside it's white plastic shield, it's
good enough for my use, though will over read due to the hot air
coming off the adjacent shed roof.

If the wall your probe is sticking out off is north facing, try and
get the sensor a foot or so from the wall enclosed in something that
will keep direct sunlight of it but still allow free flow of air. I
used an 8" length of 40mm white waste pipe mounted vertically and the
sensor in the middle for a while. That produced acceptable results on
a east facing wall.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Gnube

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:11:38 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

A Stephenson screen at the corfect distance from the mown grass and
other objects would get you close to the Met Office readings but it is
generally accepted that they can overread by a couple of degrees C
under certain conditions (basically sunny and still).

Trying to get my head around this; we are saying that the Met Office
can be a couple of degrees higher than reality?

And how would we know that?

And assuming we do know that, then why wouldn't the Met Office use the
same method used to determine the (correct) temp, which we used to
decide the Met Office is wrong, and then they too would end up with
the correct temp?

mystified

I don't doubt it's as you say, but can't think of a reason it is
allowed to continue, given there must be an alternative (or we could
not know there is an error!).

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:52:07 +0100, Gnube wrote:

Trying to get my head around this; we are saying that the Met Office
can be a couple of degrees higher than reality?

Yes.

... then why wouldn't the Met Office use the same method used to
determine the (correct) temp, which we used to decide the Met Office
is wrong, and then they too would end up with the correct temp?

Standards and models. The measurement of the atmosphere is governed by
international standards which are based on best available technology
from many years ago, there have been changes but not many. If you
change the data entering the model it won't come up with the "correct"
answer unless you change the model as well (ie the forcasts are even
less accurate).

Then there is all the old data (used to build/check models or
theories) using such "standard" measurements going back hundreds of
years in some cases.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Gnube

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:48:37 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:52:07 +0100, Gnube wrote:

Trying to get my head around this; we are saying that the Met Office
can be a couple of degrees higher than reality?

Yes.

... then why wouldn't the Met Office use the same method used to
determine the (correct) temp, which we used to decide the Met Office
is wrong, and then they too would end up with the correct temp?

Standards and models. The measurement of the atmosphere is governed by
international standards which are based on best available technology
from many years ago, there have been changes but not many. If you
change the data entering the model it won't come up with the "correct"
answer unless you change the model as well (ie the forcasts are even
less accurate).

I don't think anyone in their right might should expect forecasts to
be totally accurate! They're way too general to mean anything concrete
at all for a start.

Then there is all the old data (used to build/check models or
theories) using such "standard" measurements going back hundreds of
years in some cases.

I'm sure you're right, but to me this sounds like an upmarket version
of "it's always been that way"! That has to be the worst possible
reason for lack of action! You know it's been a long time since we had
the courage to correct our major mistakes, The Gregorian calendar as a
fairly recent example! ;O)

If there's to be any real hope for us as a species, we simply have to
work that one out and swallow our pride before we choke on it!

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
John Laird

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 12:59:06 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Very handy for the sensitive skinned. I often wonder how much more UV
there is at +1400' compared to 0'. After all the Dead Sea is only
-1000' and that extra 1000' of air acts as a very good UV filter.

UV levels increase by about 10% for 1000m altitude. I don't think you could
save much sunscreen by dropping 1/3 of that.

I believe the rich mineral soup in the Dead Sea produces an atmosphere above
it which blocks UV far more effectively than normal fresh air.

--
John