John Laird

Default 'kin ell it's hot

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 12:59:06 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Very handy for the sensitive skinned. I often wonder how much more UV
there is at +1400' compared to 0'. After all the Dead Sea is only
-1000' and that extra 1000' of air acts as a very good UV filter.

UV levels increase by about 10% for 1000m altitude. I don't think you could
save much sunscreen by dropping 1/3 of that.

I believe the rich mineral soup in the Dead Sea produces an atmosphere above
it which blocks UV far more effectively than normal fresh air.

--
John