Gnube

Default 'kin ell it's hot

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:11:38 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

A Stephenson screen at the corfect distance from the mown grass and
other objects would get you close to the Met Office readings but it is
generally accepted that they can overread by a couple of degrees C
under certain conditions (basically sunny and still).

Trying to get my head around this; we are saying that the Met Office
can be a couple of degrees higher than reality?

And how would we know that?

And assuming we do know that, then why wouldn't the Met Office use the
same method used to determine the (correct) temp, which we used to
decide the Met Office is wrong, and then they too would end up with
the correct temp?

mystified

I don't doubt it's as you say, but can't think of a reason it is
allowed to continue, given there must be an alternative (or we could
not know there is an error!).

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}