Andrew Gabriel

Default 'kin ell it's hot

In article ,
Dave Plowman writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
The outdoors reading is subject to overreading when sun's out,
as it isn't adequately shielded from reradiated heat from nearby
surfaces. (It's actually quite hard to measure outdoor temperature
properly.)

Having just installed one with at the moment the probe simply sticking out
of the wall, any tips on the best way of both making it look as good as
possible with some form of cover which also helps the accuracy?

The temperature the met office reports is the air temperature.
Measuring that without picking up reradiated heat is difficult.
I dare say some google searching might reveal their methods.
Probably a good place to measure that would be under a canopy
of vegitation which is blocking the sunlight, and dense enough
not to allow reeradiated heat down, but open enough for free
flow of air. Also need to keep sensor dry, or you will be
measuring the wet bulb temperature when it rains.

What I was thinking of doing was placing two sensors, probably
around opposite sides of the house, and using the lowest reading
at any one time. I don't have a north facing wall -- all my walls
get sunlight at some point in the day.

Another factor you might consider is that when you walk around
outside, you do feel the effects of direct sunlight and reradiated
heat, so from some points of view, thet might be more representative
of what you actually feel. However, it won't match weather forcast
figures if you were wanting to compare with those, and you couldn't
even compare two sensors as the effects of reradiated heat would
never be the same in two different places.

--
Andrew Gabriel