John Laird

Default 'kin ell it's hot

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:52:16 +0100, Tim Mitchell
wrote:

In article , Andrew Gabriel

The temperature the met office reports is the air temperature.
Measuring that without picking up reradiated heat is difficult.
I dare say some google searching might reveal their methods.

I believe you put the sensor in a "screen" (a white painted cupboard
with louvred doors on all sides, on legs) which has to be a certain
height (1 metre?) above mown grass.

I'm not sure if it has to be above any particular surface, but it must be
shaded both from the sun and the wind.

Of course, what humans feel is a more "real" temperature in many senses. If
the sun is blazing down on tarmac or concrete, it will feel a darn sight
hotter than inside a shady box. My car sensor informed it was 31C above the
M6/M60 on Monday evening at 7pm. I don't much care if the Met Office only
recorded 27 in Manchester at 2pm or whatever - I was immersed in the stuff
at a muggy 31 ! I willingly sacrificed a couple of mpg to be at a dry 21C,
it has to be said...

--
John