Dave Liquorice

Default 'kin ell it's hot

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:43:06 +0100, Dave Plowman wrote:

Having just installed one with at the moment the probe simply
sticking out of the wall, any tips on the best way of both making it
look as good as possible with some form of cover which also helps
the accuracy?

A Stephenson screen at the corfect distance from the mown grass and
other objects would get you close to the Met Office readings but it is
generally accepted that they can overread by a couple of degrees C
under certain conditions (basically sunny and still).

My AWS external temperature probe is under the exteneded northfacing
gable eave of the shed roof. Inside it's white plastic shield, it's
good enough for my use, though will over read due to the hot air
coming off the adjacent shed roof.

If the wall your probe is sticking out off is north facing, try and
get the sensor a foot or so from the wall enclosed in something that
will keep direct sunlight of it but still allow free flow of air. I
used an 8" length of 40mm white waste pipe mounted vertically and the
sensor in the middle for a while. That produced acceptable results on
a east facing wall.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail