nickelpar

Default Table Saws at Costco or Sam's Club???

After doing some initial research in this group and elsewhere, I'm
convinced I would be sorry if I spend only $200 or $300 on my first
table saw. I'm new to woodworking, but don't want to make a table saw
repurchase after 2 or 3 years (if) when my skills advance.

I've seen some posts that mention some midrange deltas and jets in
stock at Costco over the past year or two. I called my local Costoc
yesterday and they told me they had a Dewalt in stock for $459, but
could not tell me the model - not sure if it is the wookworking or
portable model. I wasn't initally planning on a $500 budget, but if I
can get a great price on a better saw, I'm there.

Can anyone tell me which models and prices they've seen at the
warehouse clubs recently? I'm in the Midwest if that matters.
mel

that dewalt would have to be a portable model at that price. my advice would
be look for a used tablesaw in the want ads. you'll get more for your money
that way and when/if you decide to upgrade or quit you can sell it for what
you paid for it. a 10" delta contractors saw is fairly easy to come by used
and will do allot. If you get hooked you'll want to upgrade to something
nicer.

--
"If you are arrogant, who's going to care if you're the best?"

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 04:54:08 -0800, nickelpar wrote:

After doing some initial research in this group and elsewhere, I'm
convinced I would be sorry if I spend only $200 or $300 on my first
table saw. I'm new to woodworking, but don't want to make a table saw
repurchase after 2 or 3 years (if) when my skills advance.

I've seen some posts that mention some midrange deltas and jets in
stock at Costco over the past year or two. I called my local Costoc
yesterday and they told me they had a Dewalt in stock for $459, but
could not tell me the model - not sure if it is the wookworking or
portable model. I wasn't initally planning on a $500 budget, but if I
can get a great price on a better saw, I'm there.

Can anyone tell me which models and prices they've seen at the
warehouse clubs recently? I'm in the Midwest if that matters.

Buy the best you can afford. Period. You have already stated you are new
to woodworking. Buy the best now and enjoy your new found hobby. Buy
inferior goods and tools and soon your hobby will become ho-hum and fizzle.

Good tools are a delight to use.
Ian Dodd

About a year ago a friend of mine bought a Jet contractor saw at
Costco for $500. I tried to do the same but they were gone when I got
there. Like on of the other responders suggested, i scouted the local
classifieds and found the same Jet for sale from a guy who decided he
wasn't going to pursue woodworking. It was a year old with a couple
nice blades, a mobile base, some throat inserts, and he threw in a
couple clamps and an old Stanley #5 plane, all for $495. Don't be
afraid of letting somebody else take the depreciation and dump their
unwanted tools on you for a significant savings.

(nickelpar) wrote in message . com...
After doing some initial research in this group and elsewhere, I'm
convinced I would be sorry if I spend only $200 or $300 on my first
table saw. I'm new to woodworking, but don't want to make a table saw
repurchase after 2 or 3 years (if) when my skills advance.

I've seen some posts that mention some midrange deltas and jets in
stock at Costco over the past year or two. I called my local Costoc
yesterday and they told me they had a Dewalt in stock for $459, but
could not tell me the model - not sure if it is the wookworking or
portable model. I wasn't initally planning on a $500 budget, but if I
can get a great price on a better saw, I'm there.

Can anyone tell me which models and prices they've seen at the
warehouse clubs recently? I'm in the Midwest if that matters.

Mark

nickelpar wrote:

After doing some initial research in this group and elsewhere, I'm
convinced I would be sorry if I spend only $XXX or $XXX on my first
XXX. I'm new to woodworking,.... I wasn't initally planning on a $XXX budget, but if I
can get a great price on a better XXX, I'm there.

Hell, Man, you don't even have your first saw and your already looking
at this the 'right way'.

Check out the used stuff in Sundays paper.

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Bob

Like the majority of the posts seem to be recommending--watch the local
papers for sales, especially "estate sales"--they'll have some of the older,
but better-built machines!
I'm using an early '60's Craftsman-fine for what I need it for!

--
In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!