Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Belt sander

My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement?
My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 9:22*pm, "Max" wrote:
My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? *
My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

I like my Ridgid R2720 quite a bit:

http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/Rid...derReview.html

Dust collection?

The built in ... is ... marginal, at best. I was guessing that's par
for the course.

I usually rig it up to my Shop Vac to reach acceptable levels.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I got one of these about a year ago.
http://www.toolbarn.com/makita-9920.html
It replaced a POS 3x21 craftsman wich I dumped because it had no dust
collection.

There is nothing about it that I did not like, There are a few things that I
think are particularly Good:

* the integrated dust collection appears to get 90%. That exceeded my
expectations Oddly attaching a shop vac did not seem to improve on that
much.

* Supposedly the quietest of the breed. It's certainly much quieter than my
crapsman.

* I like the extra length of a 3x24. It's easier to *not* dig in and make a
mess

*Subjective, but I find the balance and ergonomics to be quite good.

* Belt tracking is perfect.

* A long and plyable cord. I wish vendors would either put long cords or
really short cords on a tool.

-Steve

"Max" wrote in message
My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

Seriousely,
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/r...er-571536.html

It will keep up with a belt sander or do fine polishing.

I quit using a belt sander about 25 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message

My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? *My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

Totally agree on the 3 x 24 Makita. We work those HARD around here,
narry a hiccup. We do replace the graphite pads quite often as these
sanders are used every day.
We also jury-rigged the attachment for dust collection. Works
reasonably well.

Now what Leon mentions about using the Rotex 150 FEQ is totally valid.
For flat work there is no need for a belt-sander in 99% of the cases
and the dust collection is second to none. We do use belt sanders on
edges.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
On Apr 13, 9:22 pm, "Max" wrote:
My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement?
My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

I like my Ridgid R2720 quite a bit:

http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/Rid...derReview.html

Dust collection?

The built in ... is ... marginal, at best. I was guessing that's par
for the course.

I usually rig it up to my Shop Vac to reach acceptable levels.

Interesting. I'll certainly give it a close look
Thanks,

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Max" wrote in message
My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

But....But.... I have *many* 3 X 21 belts. {:-(

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robatoy" wrote

My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

Totally agree on the 3 x 24 Makita. We work those HARD around here,
narry a hiccup. We do replace the graphite pads quite often as these
sanders are used every day.
We also jury-rigged the attachment for dust collection. Works
reasonably well.

Now what Leon mentions about using the Rotex 150 FEQ is totally valid.
For flat work there is no need for a belt-sander in 99% of the cases
and the dust collection is second to none. We do use belt sanders on
edges.

Pshaw!! 2 votes for the Makita. Where can I trade some 3 X 21 belts for
the 3 X 24?

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

Seriousely,
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/r...er-571536.html

It will keep up with a belt sander or do fine polishing.

I quit using a belt sander about 25 years ago.

Dammit!! Will you guys quit with the Festool stuff? Some one here is
going to think I'm rich; buying all the fancy tools.
Now to find somewhere where I can get my hands on a Rotex.
Sigh.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Max" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

Seriousely,
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/r...er-571536.html

It will keep up with a belt sander or do fine polishing.

I quit using a belt sander about 25 years ago.

Dammit!! Will you guys quit with the Festool stuff? Some one here is
going to think I'm rich; buying all the fancy tools.
Now to find somewhere where I can get my hands on a Rotex.
Sigh.

Max

I looked up the price of the Rotex 125. $380.
When I told "someone here" how much it was she asked, "Does it come with a
Bracero?"

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

StephenM wrote:
[...]

Overall, I'll concur w/ the Makita but it's a case of there's nothing
any better rather than it being perfect...

- Will agree dust collection is good for a BS; I find the bag is in the
way more often than I would care for (altho don't know there's any real
way to avoid it in Makita's defense; certainly the PC way up in the air
is far worse)

- Agree w/ the 3x24 form factor -- problem is that unless Makita has
changed the actual production, the 3x24 is a 4x24 body w/ 3"
platen/rollers so there's an extra inch of bulk that an ideal unit would
not have; they would build a 3" unit from ground up (mine is several
years old; while I don't think they have, it is possible they have fixed
this since)

- The long cord is nice, but--there is something about the way this one
is attached and that pliability that I find the d-d tail is _always_
underfoot; I can't count the times it's gotten chewed up so far. My old
B&D w/ a stiffer cord never seemed to cause such grief...

- Balance/ergonomics compared to most of what else is out there is
reasonable as noted; it still doesn't balance very well and the
switch/lock is very cumbersome for my hands, anyway. The lock in
particular is in such a deep recess and position that I have to poke it
w/ the forefinger of the other hand most of the time to engage it.

_IF_ they were to build it in a 24" length, I'd be very tempted to try
the 3-wheel B&D -- it's the closest thing now to my old favorite B&D of
a forgotten model # that's been out of production for 20+ years
now--I've worn out two/three and there are, unfortunately, no more new
parts (gears) available and I suspect it would be prohibitively
expensive to get them custom-made as the prime culprit is the drive gear
that is machined into the end or the motor rotor. It had the feature of
the motor being between the rollers and direct gear drive so it had low
COG and no external drive housing as virtually everything these days
does. That's what the 3-wheel design brings back, but I, like somebody
else noted, won't give up the length of the 24" belt for the motor
placement. Given its age, it lacked dust collection but that could have
been remedied and used to be one was proud of making sawdust...

All in all, it (the Makita) ain't perfect but I don't think there's a
better choice at the moment, unfortunately.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2010 3:24 PM, Max wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

Seriousely,
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/r...er-571536.html

It will keep up with a belt sander or do fine polishing.

I quit using a belt sander about 25 years ago.

Dammit!! Will you guys quit with the Festool stuff? Some one here is
going to think I'm rich; buying all the fancy tools.
Now to find somewhere where I can get my hands on a Rotex.
Sigh.

Leon's the neighborhood pusher. DAMHIKT

I bought the 5" Rotex 125 after seeing his make quick work of a couple
of _large_ kitchens' face frames after installation (we usually leave
the final FF sanding until after installation as most paint contractor's
helpers can't match the sanding we can do).

Pretty damned amazing, and even more amazing is it is virtually dust
free free with the CT22E dust extractor. You can easily use the setup in
a finished house without little regard for dust protection if need be.

On that note ... I just Section 179'ed about $2500 worth of Festool
today as I was finishing up my 2009 taxes before eFiling. Really made it
worthwhile seeing those Festool figures lower the tax liability with
each entry.

It hurts up front, but damn ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

_IF_ they were to build it in a 24" length, I'd be very tempted to try
the 3-wheel B&D -- it's the closest thing now to my old favorite B&D of
a forgotten model # ...

Sorry, the first B&D above should be DeWalt--had the old B&D on mind and
didn't catch the wrong initial reference...

If OP did have a very large supply of of 21" belts was reluctant to give
up on, it surely might make this more attractive as the 3-wheel design
gives a longer footprint for the belt length. How it actually compares,
specifically, in that regard by measurement I don't know...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Swingman" wrote

[...]

I can write off computers, cameras, vehicle mileage, and quite a bit of
misc. but my schedule C would need some explaining if I tried to write off
any of the woodworking machines. I do insurance inspections and appraisals.
The woodworking is just an expensive hobby. {:-(

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 10:22*pm, "Max" wrote:
My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? *
My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

I have a Makita 4x24 belt sander. Its a good sander I guess.
Powerful. LONG cord. OK dust collection I guess. Belt tracks well.
But of all the tools I've bought over the years, the belt sander fits
into the "I wish I would not have bought it" category. Just not all
that ueful for me. I have hand planes that can smooth a surface far
quicker and easier.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote
"Max" wrote:
My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement?
My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

I have a Makita 4x24 belt sander. Its a good sander I guess.
Powerful. LONG cord. OK dust collection I guess. Belt tracks well.
But of all the tools I've bought over the years, the belt sander fits
into the "I wish I would not have bought it" category. Just not all
that ueful for me. I have hand planes that can smooth a surface far
quicker and easier.

I have the Bosch 1276DVS 4 X 24 belt sander. It gets very little use but
when I need it, it's irreplaceable. I'm looking for a 3X21.
I find that size to be ideal when I need to take off a little end grain on
a corner of a box, etc. that didn't end up perfectly flat.
I have a 16" planer that can smooth a surface pretty good. My problem with
hand planes is sharpening them. I don't have the patience.
I have a great respect for those who can do wonders with "old fashioned"
tools but I'm not a big fan of "neander" methods.
My philosophy is "get it 'right' but get it done".

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

Seriousely,
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/r...eq-rotex-sande
r-571536.html

It will keep up with a belt sander or do fine polishing.

I quit using a belt sander about 25 years ago.

I wasn't trying to help push the addiction... but the first thing I did
when I saw this thread was type in "Festool Belt Sander". Apparently, they
did make one but not for the American market.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in
:

Seriousely,
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/r...eq-rotex-sande
r-571536.html

It will keep up with a belt sander or do fine polishing.

I quit using a belt sander about 25 years ago.

I wasn't trying to help push the addiction... but the first thing I did
when I saw this thread was type in "Festool Belt Sander". Apparently,
they
did make one but not for the American market.

Puckdropper

LOL. The first thing *I* did was search for a Festool *belt* sander. If I
*could* buy one I'm convinced I *would* buy one.
Some folks are uncomfortable using a belt sander but I find them very
useful.
No one in El Paso sells Festool and I would like to get my hands on a Rotex
before I commit. I'm just not sure it would be aggressive enough.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:24:27 -0600, the infamous "Max"
scrawled the following:

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Max" wrote in message
My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

Seriousely,
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/r...er-571536.html

It will keep up with a belt sander or do fine polishing.

I quit using a belt sander about 25 years ago.

Dammit!! Will you guys quit with the Festool stuff? Some one here is
going to think I'm rich; buying all the fancy tools.
Now to find somewhere where I can get my hands on a Rotex.
Sigh.

I was Feined in the mail yesterday. They want me to buy their
HEPA-filtered vacs for lead abatement remos. I refuse to do anything
which stinks of bull****: bureaucracy, politics, lead, asbestos,
mercury, AGWK, etc.

--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:48:49 -0500, the infamous dpb
scrawled the following:

- The long cord is nice, but--there is something about the way this one
is attached and that pliability that I find the d-d tail is _always_
underfoot; I can't count the times it's gotten chewed up so far. My old
B&D w/ a stiffer cord never seemed to cause such grief...

I drape my cords over my shoulder, sometimes wrapping them around my
arm, so they never get munched. It's embarassing to saw through your
cord and blow a client's circuits, not to mention a real hassle in the
interim, until you get the cord repaired and then replaced.

- Balance/ergonomics compared to most of what else is out there is
reasonable as noted; it still doesn't balance very well and the
switch/lock is very cumbersome for my hands, anyway. The lock in
particular is in such a deep recess and position that I have to poke it
w/ the forefinger of the other hand most of the time to engage it.

I hate easy trigger locks. They've sabotaged me more than once.

--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message

LOL. The first thing *I* did was search for a Festool *belt* sander. If
I *could* buy one I'm convinced I *would* buy one.
Some folks are uncomfortable using a belt sander but I find them very
useful.
No one in El Paso sells Festool and I would like to get my hands on a
Rotex before I commit. I'm just not sure it would be aggressive enough.

Max

Many of the Festool on line dealers will ship for free. Regaudless of who
you buy from it will be the same price. Festool has a 30 day money back
guarantee. No commitment if you don't like it.
Agressive enough? I have owned a couple of belt sanders and still have one
but even my old right angle PC ROS would give the belt sander a run for the
money. My Rotex will certainly keep up.
And as mentioned before, dust is pretty much a non issue. AND way way way
quieter than a belt sander.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote

I drape my cords over my shoulder, sometimes wrapping them around my
arm, so they never get munched. It's embarassing to saw through your
cord and blow a client's circuits, not to mention a real hassle in the
interim, until you get the cord repaired and then replaced.

Remember the old Black and Decker cords? They plugged into all their tools
and came in different lengths, If you damaged one of them, you just
unplugged it and plugged in another cord. Then repair the old one. And the
could be used as extension cords too.

That was back in the day when black and decker actually made good tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" wrote

Many of the Festool on line dealers will ship for free. Regaudless of who
you buy from it will be the same price. Festool has a 30 day money back
guarantee. No commitment if you don't like it.
Agressive enough? I have owned a couple of belt sanders and still have
one but even my old right angle PC ROS would give the belt sander a run
for the money. My Rotex will certainly keep up.
And as mentioned before, dust is pretty much a non issue. AND way way way
quieter than a belt sander.

You're a helluva salesman, Leon. LOL
I have and "old" right angle PC ROS and using 80 grit, it won't compete with
a 120 belt on my Elu.
The dust issue will probably be the clincher though.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:48:49 -0500, the infamous dpb
scrawled the following:

- The long cord is nice, but--there is something about the way this one
is attached and that pliability that I find the d-d tail is _always_
underfoot; I can't count the times it's gotten chewed up so far. My old
B&D w/ a stiffer cord never seemed to cause such grief...

I drape my cords over my shoulder, sometimes wrapping them around my
arm, so they never get munched. ...

That's ok for the saw and some things, generally a nuisance w/ belt
sander, at least for my habits...

In general, I don't find them a problem, much...this particular one is
particularly perverse for some reason--I think it has to do w/ it comes
off at a downward angle too low to the surface and that it is so pliable
it almost immediately is on the surface and is directly in line w/ the
sander. Since it is _so_ pliable, when pulling the sander back towards
one, it doesn't push the cord ahead but it grabs/sticks on the surface
being sanded and before ya' know it, you've caught it. The point at
which one has to hold it is so close to the sander that it makes
free-flowing movement w/ the sander a pita.

I keep saying I'm going to rig up a spring holder or something but never
do...

- Balance/ergonomics compared to most of what else is out there is
reasonable as noted; it still doesn't balance very well and the
switch/lock is very cumbersome for my hands, anyway. The lock in
particular is in such a deep recess and position that I have to poke it
w/ the forefinger of the other hand most of the time to engage it.

I hate easy trigger locks. They've sabotaged me more than once.

_I_ hate stuff I can't reach easily when I want to...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote

I drape my cords over my shoulder, sometimes wrapping them around my
arm, so they never get munched. It's embarassing to saw through your
cord and blow a client's circuits, not to mention a real hassle in the
interim, until you get the cord repaired and then replaced.

Remember the old Black and Decker cords? They plugged into all their
tools and came in different lengths, If you damaged one of them, you just
unplugged it and plugged in another cord. Then repair the old one. And the
could be used as extension cords too.

That was back in the day when black and decker actually made good tools.

I was getting B&D back in the 60's, when the detachable cords came out I
saw "that" as beginning of the decline... ;~(

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote

I drape my cords over my shoulder, sometimes wrapping them around my
arm, so they never get munched. It's embarassing to saw through your
cord and blow a client's circuits, not to mention a real hassle in the
interim, until you get the cord repaired and then replaced.

Remember the old Black and Decker cords? They plugged into all their
tools and came in different lengths, If you damaged one of them, you
just unplugged it and plugged in another cord. Then repair the old one.
And the could be used as extension cords too.

That was back in the day when black and decker actually made good tools.

I was getting B&D back in the 60's, when the detachable cords came out I
saw "that" as beginning of the decline... ;~(

Oh yeah, they definitely went through a decline.

But back in the day, when I was young and poor, they did good work for me.
I used to go to the factory service center and buy the reconditioned tools.
Big bang for the buck. I still have one or two of those tools in my garage,
almost 40 years later.

I used to build a lot of rustic furniture. I needed to drill lots of holes
and sand those planks down. I was buying drills and sanders for $10 - $25.
And they would last for a couple years or so.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

My first B&D drill and jigsaw, saber saw then, were Christmas presents when
I was 11. I got rid of the jig saw but still have the drill for a dedicated
set up. 8 years later I bought a B&D router, age 19, which I still have.
About 4~5 years later I bought my last 2 B&D finish sanders and a belt
sander. I don't know when I got rid of the finish sanders 20 or so years
ago, but still have the belt sander which gets used about once every 10
years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 14, 8:09*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 13, 10:22*pm, "Max" wrote:

My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? *
My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

I have a Makita 4x24 belt sander. *Its a good sander I guess.
Powerful. *LONG cord. *OK dust collection I guess. *Belt tracks well.
But of all the tools I've bought over the years, the belt sander fits
into the "I wish I would not have bought it" category. *Just not all
that ueful for me. *I have hand planes that can smooth a surface far
quicker and easier.

Russell-

But ... DO you wear a helmet, when using your belt sander ?

Sorry. Your name was familiar from the bicycling forums ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2010 12:32 PM, Leon wrote:
"Lee wrote in message

wrote in message

"Lee wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote

[...]

I have a B&D router that I got some time in the '70s. Somewhere along
the way I put it in a Porter-Cable plunge base. Would still be working
if the armature hadn't grabbed my former ponytail (I now have a #3 buzz
cut) through the air vents. I suspect that if I tear it down and pull
the hair out it will still work fine, but I needed a working router to
finish a job that day so went out and got a new Dewalt and haven't felt
the urge to tear the old one down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 15, 12:08*pm, Neil Brooks wrote:
On Apr 14, 8:09*pm, "

wrote:
On Apr 13, 10:22*pm, "Max" wrote:

My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? *
My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

I have a Makita 4x24 belt sander. *Its a good sander I guess.
Powerful. *LONG cord. *OK dust collection I guess. *Belt tracks well.
But of all the tools I've bought over the years, the belt sander fits
into the "I wish I would not have bought it" category. *Just not all
that ueful for me. *I have hand planes that can smooth a surface far
quicker and easier.

Russell-

But ... DO you wear a helmet, when using your belt sander ?

Sorry. *Your name was familiar from the bicycling forums ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Earplugs and safety glasses. You have to fit the safety equipment to
the task. Probably should wear some kind of breathing gear too since
you do create dust with the belt sander.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 06:55:40 -0600, the infamous "Max"
scrawled the following:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
.. .
"Leon" wrote in
:

Seriousely,
http://www.festoolusa.com/products/r...eq-rotex-sande
r-571536.html

It will keep up with a belt sander or do fine polishing.

I quit using a belt sander about 25 years ago.

I wasn't trying to help push the addiction... but the first thing I did
when I saw this thread was type in "Festool Belt Sander". Apparently,
they
did make one but not for the American market.

Puckdropper

LOL. The first thing *I* did was search for a Festool *belt* sander. If I
*could* buy one I'm convinced I *would* buy one.
Some folks are uncomfortable using a belt sander but I find them very
useful.
No one in El Paso sells Festool and I would like to get my hands on a Rotex
before I commit. I'm just not sure it would be aggressive enough.

I wonder if they even _sell_ 32-grit boulder paper for them thangs.

In any case, a planah is what you need, not a belt sandah.

--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:32:17 -0500, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

Ditto. An old B&D jigsaw and belt sandah sit on my shelf, ready for
use. If you need a shop shelf, cut the board with an axe or B&D
jigsaw, shorten to length with the sandah, and put 'em up.

And my old B&D 7614 is a 1/4", 1.5hp, rack&pinion/micrometer fed
routah which I can adjust to within a RCH. I've always loved that old
beastie.

But I keep the B&D 3/8 VSR drill (now with HF 1/2" keyed chuck) in the
truck for the times I need to drill lags for ledgerboards, or when I
run out of batteries.

--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:32:17 -0500, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

Ditto. An old B&D jigsaw and belt sandah sit on my shelf, ready for
use. If you need a shop shelf, cut the board with an axe or B&D
jigsaw, shorten to length with the sandah, and put 'em up.

My old jig saw was all metal and no tilt shoe. The drill frame is metal
with a plastic handle, single speed, 1/4", keyed chuck, and forward only.

And my old B&D 7614 is a 1/4", 1.5hp, rack&pinion/micrometer fed
routah which I can adjust to within a RCH. I've always loved that old
beastie.

Mine be earlier as it only has 3/4" hp and is all metal except for the
plastic handles and bottom of the base. I was never very fond of the rack
and pinion on my model as it used a wing nut to fix the adjustment but
unfortunately tightening the wing nut would readjust the depth. It is my go
to router for triming laminate. where the bottom bearing laminate bit is not
so fussy about depth settings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:05:42 -0500, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:32:17 -0500, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

Ditto. An old B&D jigsaw and belt sandah sit on my shelf, ready for
use. If you need a shop shelf, cut the board with an axe or B&D
jigsaw, shorten to length with the sandah, and put 'em up.

My old jig saw was all metal and no tilt shoe. The drill frame is metal
with a plastic handle, single speed, 1/4", keyed chuck, and forward only.

Both considerably older than mine. My jigsaur has a custome plastique
body and I don't think the shoe is -designed- to tilt, anyway.

And my old B&D 7614 is a 1/4", 1.5hp, rack&pinion/micrometer fed
routah which I can adjust to within a RCH. I've always loved that old
beastie.

Mine be earlier as it only has 3/4" hp and is all metal except for the
plastic handles and bottom of the base. I was never very fond of the rack
and pinion on my model as it used a wing nut to fix the adjustment but
unfortunately tightening the wing nut would readjust the depth.

Mine has an eccentric lever for lock. It doesn't change the setting.
http://fwd4.me/83z item 55

It is my go
to router for triming laminate. where the bottom bearing laminate bit is not
so fussy about depth settings.

I think I'll try the little Griz H7791 trim-routah for laminate the
next time I cut'n'trim some. A lighter routah is better for precision
like that.

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong