jbclem

Default How to install new drive belt...Ryobi BE-321 3x21 belt sander

I have a new drive belt for my Ryobi 3x21 belt sander and there is no obvious way to
loosen or move either of the two pulleys it fits over. I'm not sure if it's a matter of
push and shove or if I need to disassemble/remove a pulley. Both pulleys seem to be on
straight shafts with no provision for adjusting one of them.

Any suggestions?

John

Lee DeRaud

On Mon, 30 May 2005 15:00:29 -0700, "jbclem"
wrote:

I have a new drive belt for my Ryobi 3x21 belt sander and there is no obvious way to
loosen or move either of the two pulleys it fits over. I'm not sure if it's a matter of
push and shove or if I need to disassemble/remove a pulley. Both pulleys seem to be on
straight shafts with no provision for adjusting one of them.

Any suggestions?

Uh, "tension release lever"? (On the 3x18 model, it's right side,
between the pulleys, pull out to release, push in to retension.)

Lee
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote:

I have a new drive belt for my Ryobi 3x21 belt sander and there is no
obvious way to
loosen or move either of the two pulleys it fits over. I'm not sure if
it's a matter of
push and shove or if I need to disassemble/remove a pulley. Both pulleys
seem to be on
straight shafts with no provision for adjusting one of them.

Any suggestions?

Uh, "tension release lever"? (On the 3x18 model, it's right side,
between the pulleys, pull out to release, push in to retension.)

Lee

I'm confused. The OP asks about a drive belt but gives a description that
sounds much like a sanding belt. You give instruction for the sanding belt.
Just what is being replaced? When I hear the term "drive belt" I think of
a belt from the motor pulley to the wheel pulley.

CW

Keyword: DRIVE belt.

"Lee DeRaud" wrote in message

Uh, "tension release lever"? (On the 3x18 model, it's right side,
between the pulleys, pull out to release, push in to retension.)

Lee

SouthForkSam

When I changed my belt on the same model, I pulled the washer and nut
off of the main drive pulley, aligned the teeth with the cogs and
worked it on. Then I put the washer and bolt back on. Does that make
sense?

Lobby Dosser

"jbclem" wrote:

I have a new drive belt for my Ryobi 3x21 belt sander and there is no
obvious way to loosen or move either of the two pulleys it fits over.
I'm not sure if it's a matter of push and shove or if I need to
disassemble/remove a pulley. Both pulleys seem to be on straight
shafts with no provision for adjusting one of them.

Any suggestions?

John

Well, the manual is no help and nether is the Ryobi site. Try looking at
the parts diagram he

http://m-and-d.com/ryobi_tools.html Box in center of the page will lead
you to the proper parts diagram. You might have a better chance of
figuring it out.

My manual has instructions for idiots in four languages, but no parts
diagram. Please post results!

LD.
jbclem

You are right Sam. I took off the alignment washer and nut and also the main drive
pulley. Then I fit the belt over both pulleys (the main pulley being loose still), and
to be able to work the main pulley back on the shaft I had to push the shaft/roller down
out of position so that when I pushed the main drive pulley(and the belt) back over the
shaft the main pulley was partially descended into the hole the roller occupied. That
was the angle of least resistance and was the easiest way to get the pulley (pulled
tight by the belt) back onto the shaft. Once the main pulley was partway onto the shaft
I then knocked the other end of the shaft/roller and that pushed the shaft all the way
into and through the main pulley. Then the alignment washer and nut and bingo!

Didn't take but 5 minutes, next time will only take 2.

John

"SouthForkSam" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I changed my belt on the same model, I pulled the washer and nut
off of the main drive pulley, aligned the teeth with the cogs and
worked it on. Then I put the washer and bolt back on. Does that make
sense?

Lee DeRaud

wrote:

I have a new drive belt for my Ryobi 3x21 belt sander and there is no
obvious way to
loosen or move either of the two pulleys it fits over. I'm not sure if
it's a matter of
push and shove or if I need to disassemble/remove a pulley. Both pulleys
seem to be on
straight shafts with no provision for adjusting one of them.

Any suggestions?

Uh, "tension release lever"? (On the 3x18 model, it's right side,
between the pulleys, pull out to release, push in to retension.)

Lee

I'm confused. The OP asks about a drive belt but gives a description that
sounds much like a sanding belt. You give instruction for the sanding belt.

Yeah, he confused me too. Ignore all after.

Lee