Ed

Default Bosch 1278VS mini belt sander belt problems

I purchased a Bosch 1278VS sander and am having problems with the
Bosch Sanding belts. The belts overheat, the glue on the belt weakens
and they break. This happens after just a few min of use and renders
the belt useless even though they are nowhere near being used up. The
cost quickly adds up.

It seems that just the friction of the belt on the sander is enough to
heat it up to the breaking point. I'm not sure if this is a defect in
the sander or the belts but the tool is almost useless to me like
this.

Are there any belts out there that will work on this piece of...
equipment?
Preston Andreas

I am wondering if there are so few sanders sold that the sanding belts rest
on the shelves too long and the glue is no longer viable. Any sanding belts
that are too old will come apart at the glue line with just a little use.
Maybe there is someway to check the date of production on the sanding belts.
Perhaps contact Bosch to find out if there is a code on the box.

My brother has this sander and has not commented on such a problem. He is
the only person I know that has this sander. That is why I wondered if the
belts sit too long.

Preston

"Ed" wrote in message
om...
I purchased a Bosch 1278VS sander and am having problems with the
Bosch Sanding belts. The belts overheat, the glue on the belt weakens
and they break. This happens after just a few min of use and renders
the belt useless even though they are nowhere near being used up. The
cost quickly adds up.

It seems that just the friction of the belt on the sander is enough to
heat it up to the breaking point. I'm not sure if this is a defect in
the sander or the belts but the tool is almost useless to me like
this.

Are there any belts out there that will work on this piece of...
equipment?

Bridger

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:34:43 GMT, "Preston Andreas"
wrote:

I am wondering if there are so few sanders sold that the sanding belts rest
on the shelves too long and the glue is no longer viable. Any sanding belts
that are too old will come apart at the glue line with just a little use.
Maybe there is someway to check the date of production on the sanding belts.
Perhaps contact Bosch to find out if there is a code on the box.

My brother has this sander and has not commented on such a problem. He is
the only person I know that has this sander. That is why I wondered if the
belts sit too long.

Preston

"Ed" wrote in message
. com...
I purchased a Bosch 1278VS sander and am having problems with the
Bosch Sanding belts. The belts overheat, the glue on the belt weakens
and they break. This happens after just a few min of use and renders
the belt useless even though they are nowhere near being used up. The
cost quickly adds up.

It seems that just the friction of the belt on the sander is enough to
heat it up to the breaking point. I'm not sure if this is a defect in
the sander or the belts but the tool is almost useless to me like
this.

Are there any belts out there that will work on this piece of...
equipment?

3m makes good belts. the purple ones are pricy, but very good quality.

klingspoor makes a good belt for a bit less money.
Ed

"Ed" wrote in message
. com...
I purchased a Bosch 1278VS sander and am having problems with the
Bosch Sanding belts. The belts overheat, the glue on the belt weakens
and they break. This happens after just a few min of use and renders
the belt useless even though they are nowhere near being used up. The
cost quickly adds up.

It seems that just the friction of the belt on the sander is enough to
heat it up to the breaking point. I'm not sure if this is a defect in
the sander or the belts but the tool is almost useless to me like
this.

Are there any belts out there that will work on this piece of...
equipment?

3m makes good belts. the purple ones are pricy, but very good quality.

klingspoor makes a good belt for a bit less money.

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately it looks like Bosch is the
only supplier for belts this size. I saw on Amazon.com two reviews of
the belts that mentioned the exact same problem. I wrote Bosch and
have yet to get a reply. I'll let you know if they have a solution but
if they don't I'd probably advise against purchasing this product...
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Ed, Mugen wrote:
Ed I have the same problem it didnt matter new old those suckers ripped every
time. The work around that helps is dont clamp down all the way with the
lever. Youll find the belts last 20x longer

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ms-208529-.htm