Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Belt sander

On Apr 14, 7:30*am, "StephenM" wrote:
I got one of these about a year ago.http://www.toolbarn.com/makita-9920.html
It replaced a POS 3x21 craftsman wich I dumped because it had no dust
collection.

There is nothing about it that I did not like, There are a few things that I
think are particularly Good:

* the integrated dust collection appears to get 90%. That exceeded my
expectations Oddly attaching a shop vac did not seem to improve on that
much.

* Supposedly the quietest of the breed. It's certainly much quieter than my
crapsman.

* I like the extra length of a 3x24. It's easier to *not* dig in and make a
mess

*Subjective, but I find the balance and ergonomics to be quite good.

* Belt tracking is perfect.

* A long and plyable cord. *I wish vendors would either put long cords or
really short cords on a tool.

-Steve

"Max" wrote in message

My Elu 3 X 21 belt sander bit the dust, (heh-heh)
Recommendations for a replacement? *My gratitude will be undying.
(dust collection will be a significant feature)

Max

Totally agree on the 3 x 24 Makita. We work those HARD around here,
narry a hiccup. We do replace the graphite pads quite often as these
sanders are used every day.
We also jury-rigged the attachment for dust collection. Works
reasonably well.

Now what Leon mentions about using the Rotex 150 FEQ is totally valid.
For flat work there is no need for a belt-sander in 99% of the cases
and the dust collection is second to none. We do use belt sanders on
edges.