Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Belt sander

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:48:49 -0500, the infamous dpb
scrawled the following:

- The long cord is nice, but--there is something about the way this one
is attached and that pliability that I find the d-d tail is _always_
underfoot; I can't count the times it's gotten chewed up so far. My old
B&D w/ a stiffer cord never seemed to cause such grief...

I drape my cords over my shoulder, sometimes wrapping them around my
arm, so they never get munched. ...

That's ok for the saw and some things, generally a nuisance w/ belt
sander, at least for my habits...

In general, I don't find them a problem, much...this particular one is
particularly perverse for some reason--I think it has to do w/ it comes
off at a downward angle too low to the surface and that it is so pliable
it almost immediately is on the surface and is directly in line w/ the
sander. Since it is _so_ pliable, when pulling the sander back towards
one, it doesn't push the cord ahead but it grabs/sticks on the surface
being sanded and before ya' know it, you've caught it. The point at
which one has to hold it is so close to the sander that it makes
free-flowing movement w/ the sander a pita.

I keep saying I'm going to rig up a spring holder or something but never
do...

- Balance/ergonomics compared to most of what else is out there is
reasonable as noted; it still doesn't balance very well and the
switch/lock is very cumbersome for my hands, anyway. The lock in
particular is in such a deep recess and position that I have to poke it
w/ the forefinger of the other hand most of the time to engage it.

I hate easy trigger locks. They've sabotaged me more than once.

_I_ hate stuff I can't reach easily when I want to...