Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Trash day can't come soon enough

I've been thinking about building a trash can storage bin to get the trash
cans out of my garshop and outside where they belong. We live in an area
prone to heavy snowfalls, with lots of wild animals around. Does anyone
have any suggestions on how to build one of these to make it easy to handle
year-round?

My main concerns are racoons and snow right now. I might put wheels on it
to make it easy to take to the end of the driveway.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

definitely put the wheels on it. 'Everyones' Favorite HFT has 10" air
filled tire on sale often. I have got them for $3.99 before. This week
they are $5.99 in my catalog (or weekly e-mail) SKU 30900-0VGA. I use
them on the push carts I make for my kids for the 4TH of July and
playing on the sidewalks. They hold me, so they will hold lots of trash.

Mike in Ohio

Puckdropper wrote:
I've been thinking about building a trash can storage bin to get the trash
cans out of my garshop and outside where they belong. We live in an area
prone to heavy snowfalls, with lots of wild animals around. Does anyone
have any suggestions on how to build one of these to make it easy to handle
year-round?

My main concerns are racoons and snow right now. I might put wheels on it
to make it easy to take to the end of the driveway.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-02, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

My main concerns are racoons and snow right now. I might put wheels on it
to make it easy to take to the end of the driveway.

What kinda wild animals? Short of bears, you should have no problems.
A stout wood box with slanted hinged cover w/ clasp lock should keep
the smaller varmints out. All our regular dumpsters have black
plastic hinged tops, so snow accumulation is not a problem. A slick
black paint or roofing material should work.

If you have bears, it's a whole new ballgame. Our disposal company
gave us a couple bear-proof dumpsters after a rash of bear problems,
last Fall. Hell, human beings can barely get into them! They're the
child-proof caps of dumpsters.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
I've been thinking about building a trash can storage bin to get the trash
cans out of my garshop and outside where they belong. We live in an area
prone to heavy snowfalls, with lots of wild animals around. Does anyone
have any suggestions on how to build one of these to make it easy to
handle
year-round?

My main concerns are racoons and snow right now. I might put wheels on it
to make it easy to take to the end of the driveway.

Puckdropper

Last night the raccoons pulled the top off of our bird feeder (it is in our
deck rail) pulled out seed and made a mess. I am making a fence charger rail
to put on top of present railing to jolt the creatures. The rail is 15 feet
above the ground. Happy landing raccoons. ww

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 10:16*am, "WW" wrote:
"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message

I've been thinking about building a trash can storage bin to get the trash
cans out of my garshop and outside where they belong. *We live in an area
prone to heavy snowfalls, with lots of wild animals around. *Does anyone
have any suggestions on how to build one of these to make it easy to
handle
year-round?

My main concerns are racoons and snow right now. *I might put wheels on it
to make it easy to take to the end of the driveway.

Puckdropper

Last night the raccoons pulled the top off of our bird feeder (it is in our
deck rail) pulled out seed and made a mess. I am making a fence charger rail
to put on top of present railing to jolt the creatures. The rail is 15 feet
above the ground. Happy landing raccoons. ww

I like that approach. A couple of caps and an old TV flyback
transformer works nice too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote in
:

On 2010-03-02, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

My main concerns are racoons and snow right now. I might put wheels
on it to make it easy to take to the end of the driveway.

What kinda wild animals? Short of bears, you should have no problems.
A stout wood box with slanted hinged cover w/ clasp lock should keep
the smaller varmints out. All our regular dumpsters have black
plastic hinged tops, so snow accumulation is not a problem. A slick
black paint or roofing material should work.

If you have bears, it's a whole new ballgame. Our disposal company
gave us a couple bear-proof dumpsters after a rash of bear problems,
last Fall. Hell, human beings can barely get into them! They're the
child-proof caps of dumpsters.

nb

Small critters mainly. (Wild animals does evoke an image of large ones.
Poor word choice on my part.) The racoons have a reputation for being
crafty and figuring out how to get in to things, so I was wondering if
just a regular hasp (or a turning hasp) would work. If I put a lock on
it, then everyone would need a key to get inside, which means the trash
will get stuffed in my garshop anyway.

The black sloped roof makes a lot of sense, even though their intended
storage place doesn't get much sun.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael Kenefick wrote in
:

definitely put the wheels on it. 'Everyones' Favorite HFT has 10" air
filled tire on sale often. I have got them for $3.99 before. This
week they are $5.99 in my catalog (or weekly e-mail) SKU 30900-0VGA.
I use them on the push carts I make for my kids for the 4TH of July
and playing on the sidewalks. They hold me, so they will hold lots of
trash.

Mike in Ohio

That sounds like a good starting place. With 3 or 4 of them on there, it
should be quite easy to pull.

Ever seen the hitch/handle that some wagons have? It's a standard T
handle that can be twisted out of the way to connect to a standard
mower/ATV hitch if you don't want to pull the load yourself. I sure
wouldn't mind having one of those.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/02/2010 09:37 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:16 am, wrote:
[...]

I'm gonna sick PETA on you guys. Raccoons have feelings too!

--
"Once upon a time, The END."
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-02, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

just a regular hasp (or a turning hasp) would work. If I put a lock on
it, then everyone would need a key to get inside....

The bear proof dumpsters use turning hasps PLUS an old-fashion steel keychain
slide clip attached to a chain. A good carbiner type clip might work, too.

http://tinyurl.com/ydtrp3r
http://images.solidcactus.com/autoba...p-keychain.jpg

Another thought. I'm no woodworker, but seems to me putting lengths
of 1"x1" or 1"x2" around the inside edges of the hinged lid would not
only make it stiffer, but would further obstruct those "handy"
racoons.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
Michael Kenefick wrote in
:

definitely put the wheels on it. 'Everyones' Favorite HFT has 10" air
filled tire on sale often. I have got them for $3.99 before. This
week they are $5.99 in my catalog (or weekly e-mail) SKU 30900-0VGA.
I use them on the push carts I make for my kids for the 4TH of July
and playing on the sidewalks. They hold me, so they will hold lots of
trash.

Mike in Ohio

That sounds like a good starting place. With 3 or 4 of them on there, it
should be quite easy to pull.

If these don't have inner tubes I'd get something else. You have to keep
the pressure up in tubeless tires or one day you discover you have a sled
rather than a wagon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote in
news
On 2010-03-02, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

just a regular hasp (or a turning hasp) would work. If I put a lock
on it, then everyone would need a key to get inside....

The bear proof dumpsters use turning hasps PLUS an old-fashion steel
keychain slide clip attached to a chain. A good carbiner type clip
might work, too.

http://tinyurl.com/ydtrp3r
http://images.solidcactus.com/autoba...p-keychain.jpg

Another thought. I'm no woodworker, but seems to me putting lengths
of 1"x1" or 1"x2" around the inside edges of the hinged lid would not
only make it stiffer, but would further obstruct those "handy"
racoons.

nb

The keychain slide clip is a great idea. It'd require the 'coon to use
both paws and remove it, the hasp, and finally open the lid/door.
Sometimes security is not about preventing access, just making the small
fish look more appealing.

I like the 1x frame idea. A reasonably secure fit on the lid might serve
to keep the bugs out as well. (If the base has a lip, then the lip on
the lid could fit inside it (maybe loose T&G?) while still allowing for
expansion and contraction.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in
m:

If these don't have inner tubes I'd get something else. You have to
keep the pressure up in tubeless tires or one day you discover you
have a sled rather than a wagon.

They do have inner tubes, the hub bolts together and the tube is required
to get an air tight seal. In fact, the HF item page has a link in the
upper corner pointing to a replacement inner tube.

It appears they're the only place around here that carries the 10" tube
with 4" rim, however. I went all over town once looking for a replacement
tube, and didn't find one. Walked in to HF a few days later, and there
they were.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message

They do have inner tubes, the hub bolts together and the tube is required
to get an air tight seal. In fact, the HF item page has a link in the
upper corner pointing to a replacement inner tube.

Yeah, I saw the ad for the tubes but I still wanted to suggest making sure
these ones have tubes. I'm good about keeping car tires properly inflated,
but I didn't pay the same attention to my hand-cart and last time we went to
use it the pressure in the tires had become low enough that the tires had
lost their seal on the rims. *Now* there are inner-tubes in those tires.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
I've been thinking about building a trash can storage bin to get the trash
cans out of my garshop and outside where they belong. We live in an area
prone to heavy snowfalls, with lots of wild animals around. Does anyone
have any suggestions on how to build one of these to make it easy to
handle
year-round?

My main concerns are racoons and snow right now. I might put wheels on it
to make it easy to take to the end of the driveway.

Puckdropper

Last night the raccoons pulled the top off of our bird feeder (it is in our
deck rail) pulled out seed and made a mess. I am making a fence charger rail
to put on top of present railing to jolt the creatures. The rail is 15 feet
above the ground. Happy landing raccoons. ww

If your deck railing is metal and well grounded this should work.
Otherwise you will need to provide a ground rail in addition to the hot
rail.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Yes those little rascals can be inventiveG.

I remember, taking the trash out one night, confronting an enormous racoon
sitting on top of one of my garbage cans. He made it very clear that that
was his garbage can and I would get hurt if I got any closer. I made a hasty
retreat.

I came back later and cleaned up the mess. I started putting bungee cords
on all my cans after that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:16:55 -0700, the infamous "WW"
scrawled the following:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
.. .
I've been thinking about building a trash can storage bin to get the trash
cans out of my garshop and outside where they belong. We live in an area
prone to heavy snowfalls, with lots of wild animals around. Does anyone
have any suggestions on how to build one of these to make it easy to
handle
year-round?

My main concerns are racoons and snow right now. I might put wheels on it
to make it easy to take to the end of the driveway.

Puckdropper

Last night the raccoons pulled the top off of our bird feeder (it is in our
deck rail) pulled out seed and made a mess. I am making a fence charger rail
to put on top of present railing to jolt the creatures. The rail is 15 feet
above the ground. Happy landing raccoons. ww

Install motion-sensor-activated lights and camera so you can show us
the fun, please.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 10:16 am, wrote:
[...]

Please Eat The Animals... Is that what PETA stands for??? (grin) WW
--
"Once upon a time, The END."
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:19:08 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

On Mar 2, 10:16 am, wrote:
"Puckdropper"puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message

Last night the raccoons pulled the top off of our bird feeder (it is in our
deck rail) pulled out seed and made a mess. I am making a fence charger rail
to put on top of present railing to jolt the creatures. The rail is 15 feet
above the ground. Happy landing raccoons. ww

I like that approach. A couple of caps and an old TV flyback
transformer works nice too.

I'm gonna sick PETA on you guys. Raccoons have feelings too!

What do the People for the Eating of Tasty Animals have to do with
this, Steve?

Raccoons have feelings too!

Yeah, they'll feel that "This diner hurts too much to enjoy. Let's go
somewhere else, QUICK!"

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 11:40:33 -0800, the infamous "DGDevin"
scrawled the following:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
.. .

They do have inner tubes, the hub bolts together and the tube is required
to get an air tight seal. In fact, the HF item page has a link in the
upper corner pointing to a replacement inner tube.

Yeah, I saw the ad for the tubes but I still wanted to suggest making sure
these ones have tubes. I'm good about keeping car tires properly inflated,
but I didn't pay the same attention to my hand-cart and last time we went to
use it the pressure in the tires had become low enough that the tires had
lost their seal on the rims. *Now* there are inner-tubes in those tires.

Those 10" wheels and tires, with tubes, will be on sale for $3.79 each
between March 12-14 at HF. http://fwd4.me/0Mm page 2.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
WW wrote:

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
On 03/02/2010 09:37 AM, Robatoy wrote:

[[.. sneck ..]]

I like that approach. A couple of caps and an old TV flyback
transformer works nice too.

I'm gonna sick PETA on you guys. Raccoons have feelings too!

Please Eat The Animals... Is that what PETA stands for??? (grin)

Often rendered as "People Eating Tasty Animals", actually,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 18:27:24 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Last night the raccoons pulled the top off of our bird feeder (it is in our
deck rail) pulled out seed and made a mess. I am making a fence charger rail
to put on top of present railing to jolt the creatures. The rail is 15 feet
above the ground. Happy landing raccoons. ww

Install motion-sensor-activated lights and camera so you can show us
the fun, please.

Lordy I love the attitude in this newsgroup.

Not raccoons, but similar entertainment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBb7KReY6Eg&NR=1
squirrel launcher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIp7V7VcCX8
Twirl-a-Squirrel bird feeder attachment
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:45:31 -0600, the infamous Roy
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 18:27:24 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Last night the raccoons pulled the top off of our bird feeder (it is in our
deck rail) pulled out seed and made a mess. I am making a fence charger rail
to put on top of present railing to jolt the creatures. The rail is 15 feet
above the ground. Happy landing raccoons. ww

Install motion-sensor-activated lights and camera so you can show us
the fun, please.

Lordy I love the attitude in this newsgroup.

Not raccoons, but similar entertainment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBb7KReY6Eg&NR=1
squirrel launcher

Yeah, I love that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIp7V7VcCX8
Twirl-a-Squirrel bird feeder attachment

Hey, pretty cool. I saw a few of these and one lady had a ton
of squirrels in her yard. I pity her.

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote in
:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...helter--Plan-N
o-340.aspx

That's the basic idea. A little larger with a space for the bi-weekly
recycling bins.

Puckdropper

trash can? Nate Nagel Home Repair 8 August 27th 07 05:52 AM
When is a cutoff just trash? damian penney Woodworking 27 March 11th 07 08:39 PM
keep or trash: hot tub and deck? peter Home Repair 7 April 24th 06 05:09 AM
ENOUGH with the OT trash Rick Soulsby Woodworking 7 January 13th 06 03:22 PM
Trash Wood? Oregon Woodworking 7 May 28th 04 12:36 PM