Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Trash day can't come soon enough

notbob wrote in
news
On 2010-03-02, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

just a regular hasp (or a turning hasp) would work. If I put a lock
on it, then everyone would need a key to get inside....

The bear proof dumpsters use turning hasps PLUS an old-fashion steel
keychain slide clip attached to a chain. A good carbiner type clip
might work, too.

http://tinyurl.com/ydtrp3r
http://images.solidcactus.com/autoba...p-keychain.jpg

Another thought. I'm no woodworker, but seems to me putting lengths
of 1"x1" or 1"x2" around the inside edges of the hinged lid would not
only make it stiffer, but would further obstruct those "handy"
racoons.

nb

The keychain slide clip is a great idea. It'd require the 'coon to use
both paws and remove it, the hasp, and finally open the lid/door.
Sometimes security is not about preventing access, just making the small
fish look more appealing.

I like the 1x frame idea. A reasonably secure fit on the lid might serve
to keep the bugs out as well. (If the base has a lip, then the lip on
the lid could fit inside it (maybe loose T&G?) while still allowing for
expansion and contraction.)

Puckdropper