Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight Multi-tool Video Demonstration

I picked up the HF multi-tool for 35 bucks and made this video
demonstrating the cutters and scraper.

Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it
doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads,
but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it
doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads,
but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw

--

-MIKE-

I have a concern about not cutting your skin. Does that make it useless for
carving a turkey?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it
doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads,
but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw

I have a concern about not cutting your skin. Does that make it useless for
carving a turkey?

I can't tell if you're being serious or kiddin around, Ed.

I honestly don't know. These tools count on the the fact that whatever
being cut is hard and unmovable. So it may not do so well with meat.

Personally, I find the $10 electric carving knives pretty darn good for
turkey.
Or a *sharp* knife.... which none of us have any excuses for not having.
:-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it
doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads,
but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw

I have a concern about not cutting your skin. Does that make it useless
for carving a turkey?

I can't tell if you're being serious or kiddin around, Ed.

I honestly don't know. These tools count on the the fact that whatever
being cut is hard and unmovable. So it may not do so well with meat.

Actually the material can be soft but as you stated it has to remain
stationary and not move with the blade.

..com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 May 2009 22:16:56 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

I have a concern about not cutting your skin. Does that make it useless for
carving a turkey?

Always use the proper tool for the job.

Sawzall.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the video, Mike. I was surprised that the tool cut as well
as it did.

Years ago I had a bad, bad lust for a Fein, but the one I wanted was
$500, or something like that. It had all manner of cutters, a
scraper, tile tool, etc and a cool metal box all in a kit. But it was
$500.

Almost every time I install a new door and jamb I wish I had a
multitool from somebody. Looking at that thing buzz through the piece
of wood you cut with the flat blade makes me think that at $35 I would
be silly not to buy one for cutting jambs and trims away from existing
flooring. I am sure I would find other uses for it if I had it.

So do tell; it is as miserable a sanding device as the Fein? I used a
Fein on a project and it was great for small, flat details. As a
sander, it sucked at just about everything else I tried it on.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

I can't tell if you're being serious or kiddin around, Ed.

Then I did my job well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 13, 7:45*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
I picked up the HF multi-tool for 35 bucks and made this video
demonstrating the cutters and scraper.

Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it
doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads,
but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. *Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

I also tried mine and was really impressed with how well it cut. Just
like with a sawzall if the wood isn't clamped or otherwise secured it
won't cut well. The tool also feels very solid and doesn't vibrate
like you might think. So to answer comments in the other thread I
doubt it would be useful in the nightstand drwaer.

Didn't try the sander yet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
I picked up the HF multi-tool for 35 bucks and made this video
demonstrating the cutters and scraper.

Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it
doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads,
but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw

If you turn the 270° blade over, it will have a flush face. You can then use
it for under-cutting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 13, 10:16*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

I have a concern about not cutting your skin. Does that make it useless for
carving a turkey?

Hell no! Just remember to slice up the turkey while it's frozen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Thanks for the video, Mike. I was surprised that the tool cut as well
as it did.

Me, too. And I suppose if it takes the other brands' blades, it would
cut even better. I noticed it got a little faster one it wore off the
powder-coat paint job.

Years ago I had a bad, bad lust for a Fein, but the one I wanted was
$500, or something like that. It had all manner of cutters, a
scraper, tile tool, etc and a cool metal box all in a kit. But it was
$500.

Almost every time I install a new door and jamb I wish I had a
multitool from somebody. Looking at that thing buzz through the piece
of wood you cut with the flat blade makes me think that at $35 I would
be silly not to buy one for cutting jambs and trims away from existing
flooring. I am sure I would find other uses for it if I had it.

Robert, get it. Now. Why are you still reading this? Go to HF and get
it.
At $35, this is a "kick me" tool. As in, "please kick me for not buying
it."

I'm guessing you try to make at least $35/hr, so this thing would pay
for itself in time savings by the second or third door. Even if this is
slow for a multi-tool, it's immeasurably faster and easier than hand
cutting.

So do tell; it is as miserable a sanding device as the Fein? I used a
Fein on a project and it was great for small, flat details. As a
sander, it sucked at just about everything else I tried it on.

Robert

I videoed some sanding, but ran out of memory on the card and it didn't
record.

The sanding worked pretty well. It seemed to "skate" on the paint until
the gloss wore off, then it started to bite really well and was fairly
aggressive, getting down to wood fairly quickly. I may record some more
video and post it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

I tried mine out and am impressed. Cuts like it should with little
vibration. A tad too noisy, but for $35 it's a steal. Lent it to my son
as he had to tweak the bottom of a prehung door we installed. The
idiots who put up the studs and boards in his basement retreat (that's
us) made it impossible to hang the damn door properly G

SWMBO now says I have no excuse for ripping out the tile in the bathroom.

Larry

HeyBub wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
I picked up the HF multi-tool for 35 bucks and made this video
demonstrating the cutters and scraper.

Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it
doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads,
but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw

If you turn the 270° blade over, it will have a flush face. You can then use
it for under-cutting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
I picked up the HF multi-tool for 35 bucks and made this video
demonstrating the cutters and scraper.

Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it
doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads,
but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw

If you turn the 270° blade over, it will have a flush face. You can then use
it for under-cutting.

Yeah, I noticed the little round sections on the flat edge sort of act
as guides.
I'll recored that if I make another video.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have a concern about not cutting your skin. Does that make it useless
for
carving a turkey?

Always use the proper tool for the job.

Sawzall.

If you use a cutting torch, you can save all of that time cooking it before
cutting it...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cool, it's off to HF I guess.

I suppose you had an off-screen assistant that unplugged the tool
while you changed the blade and then quickly plugged it back in for
the second cutting demo? You are safety concious right? ;^)

On May 13, 4:45*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
I picked up the HF multi-tool for 35 bucks and made this video
demonstrating the cutters and scraper.

Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it
doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads,
but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. *Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
I picked up the HF multi-tool for 35 bucks and made this video
demonstrating the cutters and scraper.

Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it
doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads,
but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw

Mike, I noticed in the video that you did not use much of a back and forth
mothion. Fein informed me that the Multimaster will cut faster if you work
it back and forth like you are slicing a piece of bread with a knife, yup he
was right.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Cool, it's off to HF I guess.

I suppose you had an off-screen assistant that unplugged the tool
while you changed the blade and then quickly plugged it back in for
the second cutting demo? You are safety concious right? ;^)

Foot switch. I use it on just about everything.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Mike, I noticed in the video that you did not use much of a back and forth
mothion. Fein informed me that the Multimaster will cut faster if you work
it back and forth like you are slicing a piece of bread with a knife, yup he
was right.

Thank you, makes perfect sense! I will try that on the next "finger"
test. :-)

If you've ever read a HF "manual," you will know they leave a lot to be
desired.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 14, 10:02*am, -MIKE- wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
I picked up the HF multi-tool for 35 bucks and made this video
demonstrating the cutters and scraper.

Plus, I push my finger and hand against the blades to show that it
doesn't cut the skin.

I thought I recorded myself using the sanding pads,
but I ran out of memory and didn't know it. *Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw

If you turn the 270° blade over, it will have a flush face. You can then use
it for under-cutting.

Yeah, I noticed the little round sections on the flat edge sort of act
as guides.
I'll recored that if I make another video.

The HF tool isn't variable speed, is it? The variable speed on the
Fein makes a _big_ difference. Your point to Robert about payback
time is a good one, and for anyone who earns money with the thing,
wants to keep from burning out blades prematurely, and values their
time, the same point can be made for a $250 tool.

'course, for my brother's birthday I'll get him the cheap one. I've
been telling him for a while now that he should get a multitool, but
he's just not listening.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
The HF tool isn't variable speed, is it? The variable speed on the
Fein makes a _big_ difference. Your point to Robert about payback
time is a good one, and for anyone who earns money with the thing,
wants to keep from burning out blades prematurely, and values their
time, the same point can be made for a $250 tool.

No variable seed.

You're right about spending the $250. But for 35 bucks with a great
return policy, it's a no-brainer for someone who still has the jury out
on the matter. And heck, if you decide you want to $250 one, keep the HF
as a spare or a "dedicated blade" machine.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 14, 3:34*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
The HF tool isn't variable speed, is it? *The variable speed on the
Fein makes a _big_ difference. *Your point to Robert about payback
time is a good one, and for anyone who earns money with the thing,
wants to keep from burning out blades prematurely, and values their
time, the same point can be made for a $250 tool.

No variable seed.

You're right about spending the $250. But for 35 bucks with a great
return policy, it's a no-brainer for someone who still has the jury out
on the matter. And heck, if you decide you want to $250 one, keep the HF
as a spare or a "dedicated blade" machine.

I've been offloading superseded tools to the next generation. They're
setting up apartments and such, and such a tool is way safer and much
more versatile than most any other cutting tool. And I give them ear
plugs!

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Cool, it's off to HF I guess.

I suppose you had an off-screen assistant that unplugged the tool
while you changed the blade and then quickly plugged it back in for
the second cutting demo? You are safety concious right? ;^)

Foot switch. I use it on just about everything.

giggle, wink-wink

I actually do use it on a lot of things.
But, I'm really not too worried about something that oscillates
like 4 whole millimeters at the tool edge.

And besides, what's it gonna do, cut my finger. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Cool, it's off to HF I guess.

I suppose you had an off-screen assistant that unplugged the tool
while you changed the blade and then quickly plugged it back in for
the second cutting demo? You are safety concious right? ;^)

Foot switch. I use it on just about everything.

giggle, wink-wink

I actually do use it on a lot of things.
But, I'm really not too worried about something that oscillates
like 4 whole millimeters at the tool edge.

And besides, what's it gonna do, cut my finger. :-)

Surgeons use a radially reciprocating saw to cut skin and bone. You can
almost never cut yourself on the bone blade but don't even think about
putting your finger on the skin blade. It gives a new meaning to slice
and dice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 14, 5:11*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

I actually do use it on a lot of things.
But, I'm really not too worried about something that oscillates
like 4 whole millimeters at the tool edge.

And besides, what's it gonna do, cut my finger. * :-)

Never underestimate a power tool. More injuries come from "How could
_that_ possibly hurt me?" than "That thing scares the crap out of me."

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
And besides, what's it gonna do, cut my finger. :-)

Never underestimate a power tool. More injuries come from "How could
_that_ possibly hurt me?" than "That thing scares the crap out of me."

I'm pastor of that church, R, but did you see the video?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-14, David G. Nagel wrote:

Surgeons use a radially reciprocating saw to cut skin and bone. You can
almost never cut yourself on the bone blade but don't even think about
putting your finger on the skin blade. It gives a new meaning to slice
and dice.

Hmmm... brings back memories. Ever had a plaster-of-paris cast, the kind
they used forever? I was shocked when it came time to remove mine, and the
horrifying saw they came at me with turned out to be strictly vibratory
rather than skilsawish in nature. Kinda makes you wonder what took them so
long to adapt the same technology to multi-tools.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 14, 6:08*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

Never underestimate a power tool. *More injuries come from "How could
_that_ possibly hurt me?" than "That thing scares the crap out of me."

I'm pastor of that church, R, but did you see the video?

Yep. Did you ever see the tip of my finger? A plate joiner jumped
and bit me. Definitely one of the safer tools considering the blade
is not exposed, still bit me. I've also had my skin cut with my Fein
- not bad, but it broke the skin. At no point should you ever think,
"Ah, how could this thing hurt me?" Healthy respect for tools is the
best way to stay healthy and whole.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-14, David G. Nagel wrote:

Surgeons use a radially reciprocating saw to cut skin and bone. You
can almost never cut yourself on the bone blade but don't even think
about putting your finger on the skin blade. It gives a new meaning
to slice and dice.

Hmmm... brings back memories. Ever had a plaster-of-paris cast, the
kind they used forever? I was shocked when it came time to remove
mine, and the horrifying saw they came at me with turned out to be
strictly vibratory rather than skilsawish in nature. Kinda makes you
wonder what took them so long to adapt the same technology to
multi-tools.

Fein's 17-year (renewable) patent.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-14, David G. Nagel wrote:

Surgeons use a radially reciprocating saw to cut skin and bone. You
can almost never cut yourself on the bone blade but don't even think
about putting your finger on the skin blade. It gives a new meaning
to slice and dice.

Hmmm... brings back memories. *Ever had a plaster-of-paris cast, the
kind they used forever? *I was shocked when it came time to remove
mine, and the horrifying saw they came at me with turned out to be
strictly vibratory rather than skilsawish in nature. *Kinda makes you
wonder what took them so long to adapt the same technology to
multi-tools.

Fein's 17-year (renewable) patent.

Depending on when it was issued, patents are 20 years (from date of
file). Patents are not renewable past that time. They must be
periodically renewed during the 20 years, however.