Martin

Default Slightly OT - Harbor Freight Tool Question

I realize it isn't metalworking, but also that a lot of readers here
are Harbor Freight customers.

Here's my question: A current sale flyer has an "18-gauge brad nailer
" on sale for $20 (reg $50). They also have an "18-19 gauge finish
nailer",
, for $40, not on sale. How does a "brad nailer" differ from a "finish
nailer"?

More importantly, would it really matter which one I chose for
assembling my new kitchen cabinets? Does a "finish nailer" have
something extra, maybe a rubber nose to prevent marring? BTW, it
appears that at least two part numbers of the nails fit both guns
(33206 and 33207).

thanks and regards,

Martin

Grant Erwin

All I know is, sometimes HF carries 2 products that are very similar but
vary widely in quality. For example, take their 4" angle grinders, the
el cheapos. The orange one is about $20 and lasts a couple of years, and
the blue one is about $15 and lasts a couple of hours. Better figure out
which one you *really* want. - GWE

Martin wrote:
I realize it isn't metalworking, but also that a lot of readers here
are Harbor Freight customers.

Here's my question: A current sale flyer has an "18-gauge brad nailer
" on sale for $20 (reg $50). They also have an "18-19 gauge finish
nailer",
, for $40, not on sale. How does a "brad nailer" differ from a "finish
nailer"?

More importantly, would it really matter which one I chose for
assembling my new kitchen cabinets? Does a "finish nailer" have
something extra, maybe a rubber nose to prevent marring? BTW, it
appears that at least two part numbers of the nails fit both guns
(33206 and 33207).

thanks and regards,

Martin

wmbjk

On 26 Apr 2005 11:32:40 -0700, "Martin"
wrote:

I realize it isn't metalworking, but also that a lot of readers here
are Harbor Freight customers.

Here's my question: A current sale flyer has an "18-gauge brad nailer
" on sale for $20 (reg $50). They also have an "18-19 gauge finish
nailer",
, for $40, not on sale. How does a "brad nailer" differ from a "finish
nailer"?

More importantly, would it really matter which one I chose for
assembling my new kitchen cabinets?

One is about twice as big as the other, and sometimes the longer nails
are useful.

Does a "finish nailer" have
something extra, maybe a rubber nose to prevent marring?

Nope. But the smaller gun is lighter and more maneuverable if you're
only using short nails.

BTW, it
appears that at least two part numbers of the nails fit both guns
(33206 and 33207).

There's only one solution... buy the $20 one now while it's on sale.
It'll be a bit clunky for the short nails, but the smaller model is
probably on sale in one of the three HF catalogs you'll get in the
mail this week, so you can have them both. Might as well get a stapler
too, they're nice if you're using 1/4" material for the backs.

Wayne
Jeff Sellers

In the 'real' world, a brad nailer is 18ga and a finish nailer is 15ga,
sometimes 16 ga.

The brad nailer leaves a smaller hole, but the brads may not hold as well
for some applications.

Also, the thinner brads have a bit more chance of going askew as they pass
through the wood, sometimes exiting where they are needed the least G The
longer the brad, the harder the wood, the more chance for this to occur....

Rule of thumb here is: The smaller the piece, the smaller the nail.....

Both types of gun will have a nose protector, at least the good ones do !

Good luck,

Jeff

Martin wrote:
I realize it isn't metalworking, but also that a lot of readers here
are Harbor Freight customers.

Here's my question: A current sale flyer has an "18-gauge brad nailer
" on sale for $20 (reg $50). They also have an "18-19 gauge finish
nailer",
, for $40, not on sale. How does a "brad nailer" differ from a "finish
nailer"?

More importantly, would it really matter which one I chose for
assembling my new kitchen cabinets? Does a "finish nailer" have
something extra, maybe a rubber nose to prevent marring? BTW, it
appears that at least two part numbers of the nails fit both guns
(33206 and 33207).

thanks and regards,

Martin

Andrew H. Wakefield

I have both of these nailers, or at least the two I have have the same specs
as these two, and look the same. The one on sale is, in my experience, a
better nail gun overall. I like the wide range of nails that it can take (up
to 2"). My only gripe with it is that the nose is a little too fat to get
into some tight corners. The one I bought (for $20 on sale) came with a
plastic case and included a rebuild kit for the trigger and a spare piston
(!), neither of which I have needed so far.

The other nailer is smaller and can get into some tighter corners. When it
has worked, I've gotten some good service out of it ... but the first one I
got didn't work at all and I returned it. The second one worked for a couple
of years, but has gotten to where it doesn't want to work right. The package
includes a rebuild kit for the trigger, and I'm pretty sure that's where the
problem is, so one of these days I'll rebuild it (looks to be pretty
simple). If that doesn't work, well, I only paid $15 for it on sale. One
gripe about this gun is the odd maximum size -- 1-3/16" brads are not
exactly easy to find; the more common 1-1/4" brads that you can find
everywhere definitely will not fit.

Please understand that I am strictly a hobbiest; I suspect both of these
guns would prove unsatisfactory for any sort of continuous use. But for
someone who only occasionally takes on fairly large projects, they have been
well worth the money. Yes, both of these can use some of the same nails --
any stick of 18 gauge nails in the right length will fit either gun, and you
can find them at Lowe's, Home Depot, or your local hardware store. Neither
of the guns that I have have a rubber nose; if you are working with soft
wood, you do need to be a bit careful not to let the metal nose dent the
wood.

One other thought -- make sure that 18 gauge is sufficient for what you want
to do with your kitchen cabinets. These are not very heavy nails, and they
are fairly soft. You can certainly use them to hold something in place while
glue sets up -- with the glue providing the primary holding power -- and
they are perfect for applying trim. But if you are wanting to use these as
the primary fastener for a structural joint, I'd go with screws or biscuits
or something like that instead. Even for attaching face frames, I often will
use my 16 gauge finish nailer to provide a bit more holding power.

Good luck -- and if this is your first nail gun, you will immediately be
addicted!

Andy

Martin wrote:
I realize it isn't metalworking, but also that a lot of readers here
are Harbor Freight customers.

Here's my question: A current sale flyer has an "18-gauge brad

nailer

" on sale for $20 (reg $50). They also have an "18-19 gauge finish
nailer",

, for $40, not on sale. How does a "brad nailer" differ from a

"finish
nailer"?

More importantly, would it really matter which one I chose for
assembling my new kitchen cabinets? Does a "finish nailer" have
something extra, maybe a rubber nose to prevent marring? BTW, it
appears that at least two part numbers of the nails fit both guns
(33206 and 33207).

thanks and regards,

Martin

I have the second model, it was on sale at the store for like $10 one
time, so I picked it up. It's somewhat limited on the length of nails
you can use in it, I usually use the short ones anyway. What I'm
mostly using it for is putting together CD and DVD storage crates from
thin wood slats and using the nails to hold things together while the
glue dries after I remove the finished product from the assembly jig.
I got it to help speed up assembly operations, before I was just using
a tack hammer and brads. It works but clearing jams is kind of a pain.
A lot of it is plastic, this accounts for the light weight. It's
probably durable enough for the use to which I'm putting it. As I said
at the time, you can't even get a decent tack hammer for $10...

The slight-head brads that it shoots wouldn't be suitable for much more
than light molding on kitchen cabinets. If you're looking for
something to tack face frames onto the rest of the carcase, these ain't
the items to use. If you're looking to hold molding on while glue sets
up, they might do.

Stan

Martin

Andy,

Thanks very much for the detailed and informative "road test". Yes,
this is my first nail gun.

I'd like to get one of the framing nailers later this summer, as I am
wanting to build a storage shed in the backyard. Harbor Freight has
quite a selection of those, always on sale for around $100. Not sure
how I will choose between the six or so models available there. Who
would care whether the magazine is at 28 or 32 degrees? Do these guns
use standard nails that you can get at Home Depot?

Martin

Martin

Thanks Jeff,

I will consider waiting to see if any larger-gauge nailers go on sale.

Martin

Jim Newell

I have the brad nailer, my father bought the finish nailer.

My brad nailer is/was great out of the package.

My fathers finish nailer seems to work fine as well, but it was packed, and
I mean PACKED with a clearish grease. It shot and sprayed crap everywhere.

It needed serious cleanup and proper oiling before use on any finish grade
wood.

"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I realize it isn't metalworking, but also that a lot of readers here
are Harbor Freight customers.

Here's my question: A current sale flyer has an "18-gauge brad nailer
" on sale for $20 (reg $50). They also have an "18-19 gauge finish
nailer",
, for $40, not on sale. How does a "brad nailer" differ from a "finish
nailer"?

More importantly, would it really matter which one I chose for
assembling my new kitchen cabinets? Does a "finish nailer" have
something extra, maybe a rubber nose to prevent marring? BTW, it
appears that at least two part numbers of the nails fit both guns
(33206 and 33207).

thanks and regards,

Martin

Larry Jaques

On 26 Apr 2005 11:32:40 -0700, the inscrutable "Martin"
spake:

I realize it isn't metalworking, but also that a lot of readers here
are Harbor Freight customers.

Here's my question: A current sale flyer has an "18-gauge brad nailer
" on sale for $20 (reg $50). They also have an "18-19 gauge finish
nailer",
, for $40, not on sale. How does a "brad nailer" differ from a "finish
nailer"?

The 19ga is sometimes called a pin nailer, with tiny pins vs. the
thicker brads/nails. the smaller you go, the less the nail holes
can be seen. Since most people fill the holes anyway, you could use
most any nailer. I got their 42528 on sale for $15 and it's one of
their most widely sold units. Of the two you suggested, I'd go for
the 46309 due to its longer capacity, 2". It's beefier, too, at 4.5
vs. 2.5 pounds. I suggest you look at all of them before deciding,
though. It' your arm. g

More importantly, would it really matter which one I chose for
assembling my new kitchen cabinets? Does a "finish nailer" have
something extra, maybe a rubber nose to prevent marring? BTW, it

None of the guns I've seen at HF had rubber noses. The safeties are
all metal wire.

appears that at least two part numbers of the nails fit both guns
(33206 and 33207).

Martin, I use their 40072 18ga stapler and their 42528 brad nailer
with only 1 problem: I bought 1-1/4" brads for the 42528 and it
accepts only 1-3/16" brads MAX. Luckily I have a belt sander and
it took a couple minutes to grind down a couple sticks to put my
soffit facia up. I now have more sizes and it works well from 55psi
on up to 110 with my spare 5gal portable tank.

Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services
There is no try. --Yoda * http://www.diversify.com
Thomas Kendrick

There are 3 basic framing nail groups -

20-22 degree full round head, plastic collation - Hitachi NR83A and PC
FR350 use this nail

28 degree clipped head (or D-head) - Bostich and others

30-34 degree clipped head and Roundrive - Paslode F350S, PC FC350 and
Hitachi NR90AD

Rather than get a HF framer, I recommend getting either the Paslode
F350S (for clipped head nails) or the Hitachi NR83A (for full round
head nails) from Ebay. They can be had brand-new for about what you
want to pay, are extremely durable and parts are plentiful since they
have both been around for a long time.

These nailers will outlive you and nails for either one are plentiful.

On 26 Apr 2005 15:11:42 -0700, "Martin"
wrote:

Andy,

Thanks very much for the detailed and informative "road test". Yes,
this is my first nail gun.

I'd like to get one of the framing nailers later this summer, as I am
wanting to build a storage shed in the backyard. Harbor Freight has
quite a selection of those, always on sale for around $100. Not sure
how I will choose between the six or so models available there. Who
would care whether the magazine is at 28 or 32 degrees? Do these guns
use standard nails that you can get at Home Depot?

Martin

Andrew H. Wakefield

Martin,

A framing nail gun is an awesome thing -- I have an old Duofast that I
picked up at an auction with a bad trigger for $20. I rebuilt the trigger,
spending approximately 40 cents on an o-ring; now it works fine, except that
it is really designed to run at 110 psi, and my compressor tends to drop
below that before re-starting. I have wondered whether the HF framing nail
guns work at a lower psi, but I haven't needed to use the framing nailer all
the much so far. In any case, in use it is quite heavy, and when it fires it
creates an impressive recoil ... and it punches a 3-1/4" framing nail right
through the wood.

In addition to the information Thomas provided below, I have heard that in
some areas clipped head nails are not accepted in the building code. I don't
know if that's true, but it might be a reason to choose the round-head
nailer over the others.

HTH,

Andy

wrote:

Andy,

Thanks very much for the detailed and informative "road test". Yes,
this is my first nail gun.

I'd like to get one of the framing nailers later this summer, as I am
wanting to build a storage shed in the backyard. Harbor Freight has
quite a selection of those, always on sale for around $100. Not sure
how I will choose between the six or so models available there. Who
would care whether the magazine is at 28 or 32 degrees? Do these guns
use standard nails that you can get at Home Depot?

Martin

Martin

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just bought the $20 brad nailer and
a pack of the 1-9/16" 18 gauge nails. In my testing, I was amazed at
how the thing works. I tried pressures from 70 to 90 psi with no
apparent sensitivity of results.

The first time, I had the work pieces pinned solidly under my foot, no
idea what might happen. When the nail struck, nothing even moved.
After a few more shots I realized the beauty of such a device. I could
actually hand-hold the pieces with only one end leaning on the floor,
and shoot a nail in while feeling almost no disturbance. Perfect for
nailing something together without disturbing the alignment.

Also, I was able to shoot brads at a slight angle to the work surface,
with the heads still being countersunk a little. Very impressive for
$20!

Martin

Larry Jaques

On 27 Apr 2005 12:05:54 -0700, the inscrutable "Martin"
spake:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just bought the $20 brad nailer and
a pack of the 1-9/16" 18 gauge nails. In my testing, I was amazed at
how the thing works. I tried pressures from 70 to 90 psi with no
apparent sensitivity of results.

The first time, I had the work pieces pinned solidly under my foot, no
idea what might happen. When the nail struck, nothing even moved.
After a few more shots I realized the beauty of such a device. I could
actually hand-hold the pieces with only one end leaning on the floor,
and shoot a nail in while feeling almost no disturbance. Perfect for
nailing something together without disturbing the alignment.

A word of caution from one who has the scar to go with it (teeny, but
a scar and a memory) keep your hand well away from the area you're
shooting. They can and do go sideways, stabbing right into your finger
or hand. Goggles are a must as well. One brad could easily take out an
eye.

Also, I was able to shoot brads at a slight angle to the work surface,
with the heads still being countersunk a little. Very impressive for
$20!

Aren't they, though? Such a deal!

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance

lionslair at consolidated dot net

Martin wrote:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just bought the $20 brad nailer and
a pack of the 1-9/16" 18 gauge nails. In my testing, I was amazed at
how the thing works. I tried pressures from 70 to 90 psi with no
apparent sensitivity of results.

The first time, I had the work pieces pinned solidly under my foot, no
idea what might happen. When the nail struck, nothing even moved.
After a few more shots I realized the beauty of such a device. I could
actually hand-hold the pieces with only one end leaning on the floor,
and shoot a nail in while feeling almost no disturbance. Perfect for
nailing something together without disturbing the alignment.

Also, I was able to shoot brads at a slight angle to the work surface,
with the heads still being countersunk a little. Very impressive for
$20!

Martin

The nice thing about them is you can build small stuff - bird houses as an example
with glue and nails that can't be built with a hammer !

The effective zero force exerted upon the wood is most useful. I've paid for my finish
nailer, used it for many a job as a tack nailer until the wood glue dries. Put in flooring
in friends house and my attic. Uses pressure not much volume.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Mike Fields

"lionslair at consolidated dot net" "lionslair at consolidated dot net"
wrote in message ...
Martin wrote:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just bought the $20 brad nailer and
a pack of the 1-9/16" 18 gauge nails. In my testing, I was amazed at
how the thing works. I tried pressures from 70 to 90 psi with no
apparent sensitivity of results.

The first time, I had the work pieces pinned solidly under my foot, no
idea what might happen. When the nail struck, nothing even moved.
After a few more shots I realized the beauty of such a device. I could
actually hand-hold the pieces with only one end leaning on the floor,
and shoot a nail in while feeling almost no disturbance. Perfect for
nailing something together without disturbing the alignment.

Yes, they are wonderful that way with no jarring impact to knock things
apart, HOWEVER, they go through hands/fingers etc even faster than
the wood when you are "hand holding" (no, I have not done that ... yet).
It is real easy to forget when you are holding something in place just how
fast they shoot that nail !!

mikey