Bill

Default Roll Away Tool Chest question

I have purchased a rather nice Craftsman Roll-Away tool cabinet with a
matching tool chest on top. Stands about as tall as me.

I want to put it in my garage, but I don't want some theifs to "roll it
away". I know it has keyed lockes, but how can I prevent someone from
rolling it into a truck?

Is there a way to temporarily lock/disable the caster wheels, allwoing to
remain in one place? The obvious anser is to NOT install the wheels, but
then I won't be able to move it either.

Ideas appreciated.

Randd01

If they want it they will get it no matter what. Keep an itemized list of all
your tools and your homeownes insurance will cover the theft.
Randd01

If they want it they will get it no matter what. Keep an itemized list of all
your tools and your homeownes insurance will cover the theft.
Bubba

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:12:00 GMT, "Bill" wrote:

I have purchased a rather nice Craftsman Roll-Away tool cabinet with a
matching tool chest on top. Stands about as tall as me.

I want to put it in my garage, but I don't want some theifs to "roll it
away". I know it has keyed lockes, but how can I prevent someone from
rolling it into a truck?

Is there a way to temporarily lock/disable the caster wheels, allwoing to
remain in one place? The obvious anser is to NOT install the wheels, but
then I won't be able to move it either.

Ideas appreciated.

Lock your garage?
Fasten a bar or loop to the chest with a reinforcing plate on the
inside of the chest. Use tamper proof screws and secure it to the
garage with a cable and lock?

Bubba

jim

Bill wrote:

I have purchased a rather nice Craftsman Roll-Away tool cabinet with a
matching tool chest on top. Stands about as tall as me.

I want to put it in my garage, but I don't want some theifs to "roll it
away". I know it has keyed lockes, but how can I prevent someone from
rolling it into a truck?

Is there a way to temporarily lock/disable the caster wheels, allwoing to
remain in one place? The obvious anser is to NOT install the wheels, but
then I won't be able to move it either.

Ideas appreciated.

i got one also, about 15 yrs. now and it has really served me well....
how about looking at the wheels..... to top someone from rolling it off
you can drill a hole in one of the metal part of the wheels and get one
of those locks that they put on bicycles through the spokes... this will
stop the wheels from rolling,, but if i wanted your unit i would back up
the pickup truck next to it and just shove it over.. so stoping the
rolling will do no good.. how about a cable coming out form the back
then locked onto an eye bolt screwed into the garage wall???? drill a
hole in the back of the cabinet and chest and then put a cable into the
hole and attache it to a metal place or use a longer cable and make two
holes (one on each side)....

Tom

"Bill" wrote in message
I have purchased a rather nice Craftsman Roll-Away tool cabinet with a
matching tool chest on top. Stands about as tall as me.

I want to put it in my garage, but I don't want some theifs to "roll it
away". I know it has keyed lockes, but how can I prevent someone from
rolling it into a truck?

Is there a way to temporarily lock/disable the caster wheels, allwoing to
remain in one place? The obvious anser is to NOT install the wheels, but
then I won't be able to move it either.

Ideas appreciated.

Install a cage around it like you see in the back room of retail stores

where the really expensive small stuff is kept. Or build a small closet
around it with steel plate on the inside of the walls and steel door on
front with multiple deadbolts. Or simply install a steel door with multiple
dead bolts and reinforced door jamb on the garage and make sure nobody can
figure out the code for your garage door opener.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Bubba wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:12:00 GMT, "Bill" wrote:

I have purchased a rather nice Craftsman Roll-Away tool cabinet with
a matching tool chest on top. Stands about as tall as me.

I want to put it in my garage, but I don't want some theifs to "roll
it away". I know it has keyed lockes, but how can I prevent someone
from rolling it into a truck?

Load it up with tools. I've got one and it weighs a ton. I seldom move it at
all and only then with great reluctance.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Kroetsch's

Typically when they get moved from shop to shop, it takes a wrecker with a
tilit-and-load deck because they weigh so much when filled with tools. I
would assume that unless your garage is in a real remote location, that
people rolling a toolbox down the street or having a truck idling in your
driveway may cause some concerns to your neighbours and especially you if
are home. Do you typically leave your garage unlocked?

"Bill" wrote in message
I have purchased a rather nice Craftsman Roll-Away tool cabinet with a
matching tool chest on top. Stands about as tall as me.

I want to put it in my garage, but I don't want some theifs to "roll it
away". I know it has keyed lockes, but how can I prevent someone from
rolling it into a truck?

Is there a way to temporarily lock/disable the caster wheels, allwoing to
remain in one place? The obvious anser is to NOT install the wheels, but
then I won't be able to move it either.

Ideas appreciated.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Kroetsch's wrote:
Typically when they get moved from shop to shop, it takes a wrecker
with a tilit-and-load deck because they weigh so much when filled
with tools. I would assume that unless your garage is in a real
remote location, that people rolling a toolbox down the street or
having a truck idling in your driveway may cause some concerns to
your neighbours and especially you if are home. Do you typically
leave your garage unlocked?

That was my feeling as well. I have a gravel driveway and I assure you my box
won't roll anywhere out there. Hell, it'll hardy roll inside the garage. I
know it weighs more than any ten guys could lift without dropping their
testicles on the floor.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Tony Hwang

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Kroetsch's wrote:

Typically when they get moved from shop to shop, it takes a wrecker
with a tilit-and-load deck because they weigh so much when filled
with tools. I would assume that unless your garage is in a real
remote location, that people rolling a toolbox down the street or
having a truck idling in your driveway may cause some concerns to
your neighbours and especially you if are home. Do you typically
leave your garage unlocked?

That was my feeling as well. I have a gravel driveway and I assure you my box
won't roll anywhere out there. Hell, it'll hardy roll inside the garage. I
know it weighs more than any ten guys could lift without dropping their
testicles on the floor.

Hi,
You, RN? My wife is. You, RN working on machines, not human patient?,
LOL! My tool chest(Snap on) is not that big or heavy but cahined to
garage wall.
Tony

Kroetsch's

If your not going to fill with any tools (you can send it to me and I will)
,but in that case then I would to agree with the some of the others in
securing it to a wall in your garage with either cable or chain. I would be
led to drill a hole in the bottom of the cabinet and bolting some chain to
the bottom and the locking the other end to an eye bolt attached to the
garage wall. This way you are not drilling into a visable part of the tool
box. You will have to watch out that if you do move it you watch you length
and not push over the entire unit.

"Bill" wrote in message
Kroetsch's wrote:

Typically when they get moved from shop to shop, it takes a wrecker with

tilit-and-load deck because they weigh so much when filled with tools.

Who said anything about tools?

SteveB

"Bill" wrote in message
I have purchased a rather nice Craftsman Roll-Away tool cabinet with a
matching tool chest on top. Stands about as tall as me.

I want to put it in my garage, but I don't want some theifs to "roll it
away". I know it has keyed lockes, but how can I prevent someone from
rolling it into a truck?

Is there a way to temporarily lock/disable the caster wheels, allwoing

remain in one place? The obvious anser is to NOT install the wheels,

but
then I won't be able to move it either.

Ideas appreciated.

If you have the type of cabinets that has takeout drawers, take them out.
Put a chain around a stud, or make a plate that goes on the stud. Then put
a padlocking assembly in the back that is only accessible through the front
when the drawers are taken out. Do not make the chain long enough so
someone can pull it away from the wall to work on the chain. Put one on
each cabinet. If there is not enough room inside the cabinet for the
drawers to be put back after the locking assembly is in, put a plate on the
backside of the box and lock that to the stud. You may have to make an
access hole in the back of the toolbox.

Someone would be able to pull the thing off the stud with a truck, but, hey,
except for burying it in a concrete vault, you will have SOME risk.

Steve

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
You, RN? My wife is. You, RN working on machines, not human patient?,
LOL! My tool chest(Snap on) is not that big or heavy but cahined to
garage wall.

I was working on cars and around the house long before I became a nurse. The
older I get, the more tools I own. After all, he who dies with the most toys
wins.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
You, RN? My wife is. You, RN working on machines, not human patient?,
LOL! My tool chest(Snap on) is not that big or heavy but cahined to
garage wall.

I was working on cars and around the house long before I became a nurse. The
older I get, the more tools I own. After all, he who dies with the most toys
wins.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

A question for anyone who has made a rotary tool shank. John Doe Metalworking 13 February 16th 04 03:07 AM
Just got a QC tool post, have a question. Cuezilla Metalworking 6 November 6th 03 11:59 PM
#413 Classic Tool Chest Chris S Woodturning 1 October 16th 03 07:07 PM
Musings on Tool Sets (Apologies to Arch) George Woodturning 4 August 30th 03 12:14 AM