Larry Jaques

On 26 Apr 2005 11:32:40 -0700, the inscrutable "Martin"
spake:

I realize it isn't metalworking, but also that a lot of readers here
are Harbor Freight customers.

Here's my question: A current sale flyer has an "18-gauge brad nailer
" on sale for $20 (reg $50). They also have an "18-19 gauge finish
nailer",
, for $40, not on sale. How does a "brad nailer" differ from a "finish
nailer"?

The 19ga is sometimes called a pin nailer, with tiny pins vs. the
thicker brads/nails. the smaller you go, the less the nail holes
can be seen. Since most people fill the holes anyway, you could use
most any nailer. I got their 42528 on sale for $15 and it's one of
their most widely sold units. Of the two you suggested, I'd go for
the 46309 due to its longer capacity, 2". It's beefier, too, at 4.5
vs. 2.5 pounds. I suggest you look at all of them before deciding,
though. It' your arm. g

More importantly, would it really matter which one I chose for
assembling my new kitchen cabinets? Does a "finish nailer" have
something extra, maybe a rubber nose to prevent marring? BTW, it

None of the guns I've seen at HF had rubber noses. The safeties are
all metal wire.

appears that at least two part numbers of the nails fit both guns
(33206 and 33207).

Martin, I use their 40072 18ga stapler and their 42528 brad nailer
with only 1 problem: I bought 1-1/4" brads for the 42528 and it
accepts only 1-3/16" brads MAX. Luckily I have a belt sander and
it took a couple minutes to grind down a couple sticks to put my
soffit facia up. I now have more sizes and it works well from 55psi
on up to 110 with my spare 5gal portable tank.

Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services
There is no try. --Yoda * http://www.diversify.com