Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Noise reducing headphones for hearing protection?

I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

jeffgee wrote:
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for

Depends what you're willing to spend. $150 gets you some Etymotic hf5
earbuds, which have 35-42dB of passive isolation.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jeffgee" wrote in message
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

I have a pair of noise canceling head phones. When turned on you adjust for
normal hearing. When there is a loud noise they shut off instantly. If I
clap my hands loudly in a small room I can only hear the echo of the clap
after they return to normal status.

If you buy "today" at Rockler's Deal of the Day site.,,

http://www.rockler.com/promotion/DealOfTheDay.cfm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news

I have a pair of noise canceling head phones. When turned on you adjust
for normal hearing. When there is a loud noise they shut off instantly.
If I clap my hands loudly in a small room I can only hear the echo of the
clap after they return to normal status.

If you buy "today" at Rockler's Deal of the Day site.,,

http://www.rockler.com/promotion/DealOfTheDay.cfm

Might I add that mine are strictly hearing protection and have no radio
built in.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 2:35*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
jeffgee wrote:
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for

Depends what you're willing to spend. *$150 gets you some Etymotic hf5
earbuds, which have 35-42dB of passive isolation.

Chris

I wasn't looking to spend that much initially, but it's nice to know
there's something out there that will do the trick. thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 3:38*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

news

I have a pair of noise canceling head phones. *When turned on you adjust
for normal hearing. *When there is a loud noise they shut off instantly.
If I clap my hands loudly in a small room I can only hear the echo of the
clap after they return to normal status.

If you buy "today" at Rockler's Deal of the Day site.,,

http://www.rockler.com/promotion/DealOfTheDay.cfm

Might I add that mine are strictly hearing protection and have no radio
built in.

thanks! I notice you very often weigh in with thoughtful and
informative answers. I appreciate your time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jeffgee" wrote in message
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

I've got Sony MDR NC60 noise cancelling headphones which are intended for
use with audio devices rather than just noise reduction. I use them while
watching TV on my computer, while traveling by train, and in the car on the
highway to cut the wind, fan and road noise. They work great for that. I
hadn't tried them as "hearing protection" in the shop until reading your
inquiry. As such I just went into the shop and tried them! I was surprised
to find that they offer about the same level of noise reduction as my
Silencio Magnum hearing muffs that are rated at 29db reduction. Based on
this informal "test" I'd think you'd be OK using comparable noise cancelling
headphones as long as the cable is secured so it isn't a hazard.

Note that the Sony MDR NC60 is about $125 on Amazon and the specs show they
are significantly better than the NC40 model that sells for about $70... I
looked at a lot of noise canceling headphones and the NC60 seemed to offer
very good value and performance.

I wouldn't expect the $30-$50 noise cancelling muffs to be adequate compared
to something like the Silencio Magnum muffs which I use with high powered
rifles and magnum handguns (e.g., 3" .44 magnum) as well as in the shop but
the NC 60 seem adequate.

John
....done with his informal testing for the evening!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 4:35*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
jeffgee wrote:
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for

Depends what you're willing to spend. *$150 gets you some Etymotic hf5
earbuds, which have 35-42dB of passive isolation.

Chris

35 to 42 dB of isolation from an earbud? MAYbe at one specific
frequency. Even then I have my doubts. Let me rephrase that: Naaaaa.
The entry to the ear canal is only a part of the sound detection our
ears give us. A lot of sound will get by those plugs from the outside
of the ear shell, through the mouth and transconductance through the
skull.
Those big humongous muffs that the boys on the flight deck wear, are
nowhere near 42 dB. More like -27dB.
-27dB muffs are good muffs. -30dB would be a whole magnitude better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 2:40*pm, jeffgee wrote:
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

Sound reaches and damages the structure of the ear in two ways -
through the ear, and transmitted up from the body. The way you
control noise is through distance, density, and dampening. I just
wrote those two lines of BS just to say I recomend these
http://www.stratfords.com/earplugs/e...osizedown.html.
They are not muffs, but plugs. They are the most comfortable plugs
you'll ever wear. They are basicly a thin plastic "plug" filled with
down. Noise attenuation up to 39 dB. We did a research study on
similar models and they are very effective for industrial noise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote those two lines of BS just to say I recomend thesehttp://www.stratfords.com/earplugs/earplugs_bilsom_twosizedown.html.
They are not muffs, but plugs. *They are the most comfortable plugs
you'll ever wear. *They are basicly a thin plastic "plug" filled with
down. *

Noise attenuation up to 39 dB. *We did a research study on
similar models and they are very effective for industrial noise.

The noise woodworking machinery generates is most energetic below that
8 KHz attenuation of -39dB.
Those plugs have a listed SNR of 27 dB. Period.

BUT!! Wearing plugs or muffs is absolutely essential in a woodworking
shop where powertools are used.
I just get miffed at the 'specs race'. Those -XdB claims are mostly
suspect and based on junk science.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jeffgee" wrote in message
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

I have a pair of ear muffs with the built in radio, I bellive they are work
mates, I find they work as well as regular ear muffs for sound dampening and
do a good job as radio. I can easly hear the radio on low volume even when
running a saw or planner, and the noise from the machine is just enough to
know it is on. When using a FM transmitter I can listen to my mp-3 player
or a book tape on the player. Like regular ear muffs they do let people
slip up on you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 2:40*pm, jeffgee wrote:

[...]

Well, we did a test. We measured the hearing response of some workers
in an industrial setting (campus power plant). One group wore over-
the-ear muff-type protectors, one set wore Bilsum "bubblegum" ear
plugs, one set wore some like I mentioned (actually product #5036 -
rated at 26 dB - I still have/use some), and the last set wore no
protection. At the end of the experiment, the muffs protected the
best *when the men wore them*. When fitted properly, the bubble gum
plugs were as good as the muffs, but a lot of men had problems
(strangely [or maybe not] one ear canal was larger/smaller than the
opposite side). The Bilsom plugs were comfortable, fit everyone, and
gave good protection. I'm not pushing their brand, I have no
affiliation with them. It's just this particular design, whoever
makes it, just works.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
jeffgee wrote:

I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

Strange you should ask. Just last weekend a Bose rep was telling me that
their headphones were NOT designed to be used that way and not
recommended. I found a set of active noise reduction ear muffs at Harbor
Freight last year, but haven't seen them back in stock in some time

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found athttp://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Of course they (Bose) work in noise reduction, but the legal
department isn't willing to sign off on that.
There is the remote possibility a lawsuit could erupt, somewhere,
somehow.
Besides, any published specs would show that as noise reduction muffs,
they would be like all the others, 27 dB or thereabouts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

jeffgee wrote:
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for

Depends what you're willing to spend. $150 gets you some Etymotic hf5
earbuds, which have 35-42dB of passive isolation.

35 to 42 dB of isolation from an earbud? MAYbe at one specific
frequency. Even then I have my doubts. Let me rephrase that: Naaaaa.
The entry to the ear canal is only a part of the sound detection our
ears give us. A lot of sound will get by those plugs from the outside
of the ear shell, through the mouth and transconductance through the
skull.

I have custom-molded earplugs for hearing protection. They're supposed
to give around 30dB attenuation from 125Hz until about 600Hz, and then
ramp up to 45dB at 4kHz. No idea what they give below 125Hz.

I suspect the Etymotic ratings are biased towards higher frequencies.

Those big humongous muffs that the boys on the flight deck wear, are
nowhere near 42 dB. More like -27dB.
-27dB muffs are good muffs. -30dB would be a whole magnitude better.

My big humongous Peltor muffs are rated at 35dB attenuation. According
to their frequency response curve they range from 15dB at 125Hz to 30dB
at 500Hz, to 43dB at 4kHz.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-08, jeffgee wrote:
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

Hearing protection runs the gamut from crushable foam earplugs to $200
electronic audio isolation devices. Go to your local gun range and see what
they are using. Some devices do nothing but stop ALL sound. HF sells
adequate items for under $10. I've used them on the range for years. They
work fine. The more expensive electronic muffs will stop LOUD noise, but
allow for normal conversation. $100-200 is typical. DO NOT buy "sonic" ear
valves or other bogus ear plugs with moving "valves" that allegedly stop
LOUD noises. I've found them to be expensive and useless. If you do use
crushable foam earplugs, get the ones with flat ends (EAR), putting the flat
end in your ear. The one's with rounded ends are useless.

I abused my ears for years and know about ear protection. From jet fighter
test stands and full afterburner takeoffs in the USAF, to gun ranges and AA
fuel dragsters that are so loud they will knock you off your feet and the
exhaust concussion will stall your heart, I've experienced it all. You want
max protection, wear foam ear plugs under maximum silencing ear muffs.
Everything else is a comprimise. As for Bose, it's all junk.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 9, 8:52*am, notbob wrote:
On 2009-04-08, jeffgee wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for some excellent responses. Much appreciated
Posted to rec.woodworking

Am I the only one who gets nervous thinking of woodworking while wearing
headphones playing music? And ones designed to cancel outside noise, at
that?

There is still a lot of sound from tools and the shop, both direct and
ancillary, I *want* to hear when working. I want to protect my ears from
prolonged exposure to loud noise, but I certainly don't want to aurally
isolate myself from the environment.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

jeffgee wrote:
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

I like Blockade Earbuds ~ $40 from Amazon. They work SO well, I can
watch my Shop Vac top get sucked down and hear NO noise! G

I have Bose ANR headsets in the plane, and they work at different
frequencies, leaning towards low and low-mid frequencies.

Blockades are cool, LIGHT, and easy to clean.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Am I the only one who gets nervous thinking of woodworking while wearing
headphones playing music? And ones designed to cancel outside noise, at
that?

It depends... It's not a black and white thing.

I don't really care about sounds from my Shop Vac, ROS, angle grinder,
biscuit joiner, etc...

When I'm using a jointer, planer, saw, router, etc... I just hit pause
during the cut. I think the right amount of attenuation helps me hear
the sonic details of the cutter.

I hear enough from a nail gun or my mower WITH the music. G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 18:03:19 +0100, MIKE- wrote
(in article ):

Am I the only one who gets nervous thinking of woodworking while wearing
headphones playing music? And ones designed to cancel outside noise, at
that?

No, me too.

I'm basically terrified of stationary power tools.. er, I'll rephrase that
with me macho head on,, I _respect_ shop tools and I don't want 'em sneaking
up on me when I'm looking the other way.

It's silly little things like putting a circular saw or a router down before
it's come to a dead stop that just once in a while can take someone by
surprise, or the ultimate nightmare, forgetting that the table saw is running
and then coming into contact with the blade.. A VERY long shot with normal
precautions, and very improbable if you can hear as well as see the blade
but,,,, BUT a slightly greater possibility with distracting audio masking
one of the clues.

O.K. maybe I'm a paranoid wuss, but I intend to be able to point rudely at
things for a good while yet.
I've seen too many sawmill hands (!) called Stumpy, Lefty...

Don't start me on nightclub-level sound systems in cars...

My two groats worth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Am I the only one who gets nervous thinking of woodworking while wearing
headphones playing music? And ones designed to cancel outside noise, at
that?

There is still a lot of sound from tools and the shop, both direct and
ancillary, I *want* to hear when working. I want to protect my ears from
prolonged exposure to loud noise, but I certainly don't want to aurally
isolate myself from the environment.

These noise cancellation devices do not cut out all the noise, mostly the
loud noises.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bored Borg" wrote in message
.com...

It's silly little things like putting a circular saw or a router down
before
it's come to a dead stop that just once in a while can take someone by
surprise, or the ultimate nightmare, forgetting that the table saw is
running
and then coming into contact with the blade..

Better to protect your hearing and be more cautious with you power tools
than to get into the habit of not making certain that it has come to a
complete stop before letting go of it. There are all kinds of noises in the
shop that can drown out the sound of a router or circular saw coasting down
to a stop. A DC, VAC and or radio can easily cover the sound of a power
tool. I learned the hard way to always keep an eye on a power tool until it
comes to a dead stop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Am I the only one who gets nervous thinking of woodworking while wearing
headphones playing music? And ones designed to cancel outside noise, at
that?

There is still a lot of sound from tools and the shop, both direct and
ancillary, I *want* to hear when working. I want to protect my ears from
prolonged exposure to loud noise, but I certainly don't want to aurally
isolate myself from the environment.

These noise cancellation devices do not cut out all the noise, mostly the
loud noises.

I'm very familiar with hearing protection of just about every kind, and
the noise canceling aspect has little to do with my concerns. My wife
wonders how I can hear the things she hears, when I'm wearing ear plugs.
I tell her the plugs don't remove the sounds, they just make them
softer. It's only when I add an audio input to the plugs that I don't
hear anything from the outside world.

There are things I want to and should hear in the shop. If I'm wearing
headphones that are blocking outside sound *AND* adding noise that masks
that sound, I'm asking for trouble. IMHO

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bored Borg wrote:
It's silly little things like putting a circular saw

Yours doesn't have a guard?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Snip

There are things I want to and should hear in the shop. If I'm wearing
headphones that are blocking outside sound *AND* adding noise that masks
that sound, I'm asking for trouble. IMHO

Ahhh the playing music in the phones at the same time part, I did not catch
that the first time. You bring up a good point with playing music in the
head phones. Music in the shop, in the back ground is not such a bother for
me, I keep it down so that I cannot hear it when a tool is running.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Music in the shop, in the back ground is not such a bother for
me, I keep it down so that I cannot hear it when a tool is running.

Me, too.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 22:35:03 +0100, Leon wrote
(in article ) :

I have a pair of noise canceling head phones. When turned on you adjust for
normal hearing. When there is a loud noise they shut off instantly. If I
clap my hands loudly in a small room I can only hear the echo of the clap
after they return to normal status.

I picked up a pair of El Cheapo (ALDI) for sixteen squids, not eally
expecting much and I'm very impressed. Switched off, they are like any
reasonable quality muff. Switched on, they let conversation level sound
through clearly.. The shut-off really IS instantaneous.

I took 'em along to a band rehearsal and they worked really well... I often
wear ear plugs but then there's the hassle of over-attenuation of chat and
direction. These certainly helped me to hear detail through the sound barrage
as well as my normal plugs and the H.F drop was not really a problem in this
situation - 3 Marshall hundreds, a small vocal rig and undamped drums in a
room about 20' square. O.K. they're not flat enough for critical monitoring,
but then I didn't expect it . I wouldn't wear 'em to do a mix, for example.
I'll be taking them regularly.

Workshop use is GREAT. Very little ear-muff claustrophobia.

The pass-through circuit is mono only at this price. Not really a problem
either. Comfortable for wearing, extended period and none of that wrenching
'em off to deal with shwmbo yet still stop the router from hurting.

I'm convinces, anyhow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Be cautious on the earbuds - they can blast the ears.

I use a small bore pistol headset. I upgraded to a big bore one for the range -
even if I shoot small bore (22lr) the guy next to me is a 45 or so.

They block levels of sound not frequencies. They are fast acting and
allow talking to a person or hearing light sounds.

They are battery operated so they cost a bit to run.

Martin

jeffgee wrote:
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in news:grlh28$s0o$1
@reader.motzarella.org:

Leon wrote:
Music in the shop, in the back ground is not such a bother for
me, I keep it down so that I cannot hear it when a tool is running.

Me, too.

Me, three.

The vacuum cleaner tries to sing along, but it doesn't know the words.
The worst part is it tries to sing lead!

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 19:54:12 +0100, MIKE- wrote
(in article ):

Bored Borg wrote:
It's silly little things like putting a circular saw

Yours doesn't have a guard?

no but it has a chaperone.

Actually I'm "between" C-saws now. Last one I had was pre-owned by Fred
Flintstone and was hurled into a skip before it claimed any more lives

... and Elric's mighty saw Stormbringer drank the souls of all who dared cross
its path, shrieking its mournful song...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
Am I the only one who gets nervous thinking of woodworking while wearing
headphones playing music? And ones designed to cancel outside noise, at
that?

It depends... It's not a black and white thing.

I don't really care about sounds from my Shop Vac, ROS, angle grinder,
biscuit joiner, etc...

When I'm using a jointer, planer, saw, router, etc... I just hit pause
during the cut. I think the right amount of attenuation helps me hear
the sonic details of the cutter.

I hear enough from a nail gun or my mower WITH the music. G

That''s very much how I use them too

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bored Borg wrote:
It's silly little things like putting a circular saw

Yours doesn't have a guard?

no but it has a chaperone.

Actually I'm "between" C-saws now. Last one I had was pre-owned by Fred
Flintstone and was hurled into a skip before it claimed any more lives

.. and Elric's mighty saw Stormbringer drank the souls of all who dared cross
its path, shrieking its mournful song...

As long as you still have a finger or two to type these gems, you'll be
fine. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 05:28:59 -0700, the infamous Ralph E Lindberg
scrawled the following:

In article
,
jeffgee wrote:

I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

Strange you should ask. Just last weekend a Bose rep was telling me that
their headphones were NOT designed to be used that way and not
recommended. I found a set of active noise reduction ear muffs at Harbor
Freight last year, but haven't seen them back in stock in some time

I bought the Harbor Freight ANR muffs for shooting, but they work very
well in the shop, too. For super muffling, I add a pair of those
super spongy foam earplugs inserted backwards. They seal off my ear
canal better and I can sleep with them like that without my ear
hurting in the morning. That's good for a 50+dB noise reduction.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Hearing protection Lowell Holmes Woodworking 43 January 28th 09 05:23 PM
Re hearing protection....Kevin Rick Samuel[_2_] Woodworking 5 January 19th 09 03:45 AM
Hearing Protection? J T Woodworking 0 October 17th 06 09:35 PM
Hearing Protection? Steve Woodworking 7 October 17th 06 04:06 PM
Hearing Protection Maskman Woodworking 51 December 7th 04 03:16 PM