Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Noise reducing headphones for hearing protection?

Leon wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Am I the only one who gets nervous thinking of woodworking while wearing
headphones playing music? And ones designed to cancel outside noise, at
that?

There is still a lot of sound from tools and the shop, both direct and
ancillary, I *want* to hear when working. I want to protect my ears from
prolonged exposure to loud noise, but I certainly don't want to aurally
isolate myself from the environment.

These noise cancellation devices do not cut out all the noise, mostly the
loud noises.

I'm very familiar with hearing protection of just about every kind, and
the noise canceling aspect has little to do with my concerns. My wife
wonders how I can hear the things she hears, when I'm wearing ear plugs.
I tell her the plugs don't remove the sounds, they just make them
softer. It's only when I add an audio input to the plugs that I don't
hear anything from the outside world.

There are things I want to and should hear in the shop. If I'm wearing
headphones that are blocking outside sound *AND* adding noise that masks
that sound, I'm asking for trouble. IMHO

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--