Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Noise reducing headphones for hearing protection?

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 05:28:59 -0700, the infamous Ralph E Lindberg
scrawled the following:

In article
,
jeffgee wrote:

I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

Strange you should ask. Just last weekend a Bose rep was telling me that
their headphones were NOT designed to be used that way and not
recommended. I found a set of active noise reduction ear muffs at Harbor
Freight last year, but haven't seen them back in stock in some time

I bought the Harbor Freight ANR muffs for shooting, but they work very
well in the shop, too. For super muffling, I add a pair of those
super spongy foam earplugs inserted backwards. They seal off my ear
canal better and I can sleep with them like that without my ear
hurting in the morning. That's good for a 50+dB noise reduction.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.