Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Major Dan Major is offline

Default Noise reducing headphones for hearing protection?

On Apr 8, 9:54*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 8, 9:59*pm, Dan Major wrote:

On Apr 8, 2:40*pm, jeffgee wrote:

I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

Sound reaches and damages the structure of the ear in two ways -
through the ear, and transmitted up from the body. *The way you
control noise is through distance, density, and dampening. *I just
wrote those two lines of BS just to say I recomend thesehttp://www.stratfords.com/earplugs/earplugs_bilsom_twosizedown.html.
They are not muffs, but plugs. *They are the most comfortable plugs
you'll ever wear. *They are basicly a thin plastic "plug" filled with
down. *
Noise attenuation up to 39 dB. *We did a research study on
similar models and they are very effective for industrial noise.

The noise woodworking machinery generates is most energetic below that
8 KHz attenuation of -39dB.
Those plugs have a listed SNR of 27 dB. Period.

BUT!! Wearing plugs or muffs is absolutely essential in a woodworking
shop where powertools are used.
I just get miffed at the 'specs race'. Those -XdB claims are mostly
suspect and based on junk science.

Well, we did a test. We measured the hearing response of some workers
in an industrial setting (campus power plant). One group wore over-
the-ear muff-type protectors, one set wore Bilsum "bubblegum" ear
plugs, one set wore some like I mentioned (actually product #5036 -
rated at 26 dB - I still have/use some), and the last set wore no
protection. At the end of the experiment, the muffs protected the
best *when the men wore them*. When fitted properly, the bubble gum
plugs were as good as the muffs, but a lot of men had problems
(strangely [or maybe not] one ear canal was larger/smaller than the
opposite side). The Bilsom plugs were comfortable, fit everyone, and
gave good protection. I'm not pushing their brand, I have no
affiliation with them. It's just this particular design, whoever
makes it, just works.