Posted to rec.woodworking
Bored Borg Bored Borg is offline

Default Noise reducing headphones for hearing protection?

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 18:03:19 +0100, MIKE- wrote
(in article ):

Am I the only one who gets nervous thinking of woodworking while wearing
headphones playing music? And ones designed to cancel outside noise, at
that?

No, me too.

I'm basically terrified of stationary power tools.. er, I'll rephrase that
with me macho head on,, I _respect_ shop tools and I don't want 'em sneaking
up on me when I'm looking the other way.

It's silly little things like putting a circular saw or a router down before
it's come to a dead stop that just once in a while can take someone by
surprise, or the ultimate nightmare, forgetting that the table saw is running
and then coming into contact with the blade.. A VERY long shot with normal
precautions, and very improbable if you can hear as well as see the blade
but,,,, BUT a slightly greater possibility with distracting audio masking
one of the clues.

O.K. maybe I'm a paranoid wuss, but I intend to be able to point rudely at
things for a good while yet.
I've seen too many sawmill hands (!) called Stumpy, Lefty...

Don't start me on nightclub-level sound systems in cars...

My two groats worth.