Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Noise reducing headphones for hearing protection?

"jeffgee" wrote in message
I have been using some earbuds for music and then some big earmuff
style hearing protectors over them. I have been shopping for
headphones and was wondering what the group thinks of using noise
reducing headphones for hearing protection. I have a feeling they only
stop normal noise and would not provide the protection I am looking
for but thought I'd ask on the off chance that I could exchange 2
things sitting on my head for just one.
thanks for any input you might have
-- jeff

I've got Sony MDR NC60 noise cancelling headphones which are intended for
use with audio devices rather than just noise reduction. I use them while
watching TV on my computer, while traveling by train, and in the car on the
highway to cut the wind, fan and road noise. They work great for that. I
hadn't tried them as "hearing protection" in the shop until reading your
inquiry. As such I just went into the shop and tried them! I was surprised
to find that they offer about the same level of noise reduction as my
Silencio Magnum hearing muffs that are rated at 29db reduction. Based on
this informal "test" I'd think you'd be OK using comparable noise cancelling
headphones as long as the cable is secured so it isn't a hazard.

Note that the Sony MDR NC60 is about $125 on Amazon and the specs show they
are significantly better than the NC40 model that sells for about $70... I
looked at a lot of noise canceling headphones and the NC60 seemed to offer
very good value and performance.

I wouldn't expect the $30-$50 noise cancelling muffs to be adequate compared
to something like the Silencio Magnum muffs which I use with high powered
rifles and magnum handguns (e.g., 3" .44 magnum) as well as in the shop but
the NC 60 seem adequate.

John
....done with his informal testing for the evening!