Old April 27th 14, 02:03 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

wrote:
On Friday, February 13, 2009 12:00:36 PM UTC-6, bw wrote:
Purchased last fall, opened yesterday. Stirred as usual, looked ok.
Applied with foam brush on test piece of medium pored teak-like wood.
Set aside at room temperature and it immediately starts to look like
I coated the wood in white soap.
What the hey. After a couple hours no change. Almost looks like I
painted the wood with white lead.

I've used this produce before without problems, but it "might" be
some kind of reaction with the wood.
The wood was purchased at a farm sale in a batch of other hard woods
that could have been over 30 years old. Some mahogany and what I
thought was teak but I can't imagine what the heck happened.

Maybe return the can to the store and try another batch.

I am having a similar problem with the same product. The first time
I used it the room came out beautiful. The next room I did a week
later is dull. I used a foam brush both times. I went and bought
another can and went over it to get the sheen. Waited a week and did
another room and the same problem again! Just no sheen at all!
Maybe I have to buy small cans, so it's a new can each time.
Depressing! I still have 4 rooms and a landing to go. I was
wondering if I shouldn't be wiping my brush on the side of the can as
I go? I just don't understand!

Boy, that sure does sound like oxidation in the can. I assume you stirred
properly before each application. I'm guessing that the fast dry
characteristic is what's biting you. Watch for comments from Robert
(Nailshooter). He'll have definitive commentary if he does reply.
Otherwise, I'd go with your plan and assume it's an oxidation issue.

--

-Mike-

Old April 27th 14, 03:17 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
On Friday, February 13, 2009 12:00:36 PM UTC-6, bw wrote:

I wonder if the OP figured out the problem sometime in the last 5 years?
--
Jim in NC

---

Old April 27th 14, 12:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
On Friday, February 13, 2009 12:00:36 PM UTC-6, bw wrote:

I wonder if the OP figured out the problem sometime in the last 5
years?

Geeze - I never notice these date stamps.

--

-Mike-

Old April 27th 14, 03:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 8:17:08 PM UTC-5, Morgans wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

On Friday, February 13, 2009 12:00:36 PM UTC-6, bw wrote:

I wonder if the OP figured out the problem sometime in the last 5 years?

--

Jim in NC

---

Good info to have, though, in case this ever comes up, which apparently it does from time to time.

Old April 27th 14, 04:30 PM posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

I've used the traditional Minwax oil stains and rubbing oil products
with great success for 30+ yr as well as their early conventional
poly's (altho I don't use poly much at all) and recommend them
highly. The newer "labor saving" products I think are misguided and
not worth bringing home.

That seems to be true. It's hard to believe that anything that is
formulated to be fast drying, can at the same time, have a long shelf life -
unless it's a catalyzed finish. Something has to give and once you
introduce air into the can, the product is going to start doing exactly what
it was designed to do.

--

-Mike-

Old April 27th 14, 06:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

I didin't see it in any of the posts but you aren't by any chance using
satin or flat?

Old April 27th 14, 08:04 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Baron wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Don't expect a reply. Like you, I replied earlier, not realizing that the
post I was replying to was something like 5 years old. Good chance the
poster is not still looking for responses... That said - I doubt it's a
matter of satin or flat. She said the same product worked as she desired on
a previous project. And... the description of the problem is not one of a
satin or flat finish versus a gloss finish.

--

-Mike-

Can you thin Minwax Polyurethane? [email protected] Woodworking 21 May 12th 17 06:44 PM
Fast drying polyurethane?? BD[_2_] Woodworking 6 February 20th 08 01:20 PM
Minwax fast drying poly over Formby's Tung Oil [email protected] Woodworking 13 August 30th 07 09:12 PM
White haze GARY Woodworking 6 June 15th 06 03:21 PM
Wrestling with Fast Drying Polyurethane Chip off the Ol'Proc Woodworking 2 September 5th 04 03:58 AM