Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

replying to bw, Marie wrote:
EASY fix! Use a blow dryer on it. It takes a little time, bit works like
magic! (and stays fixed)

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ze-450901-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, 14 June 2016 21:53:40 UTC-4, wrote:
Hi all,

I had the same issue. Fast-drying Minwax semi-gloass ruined my Cabinet door with white streaks. It was like a chemical reaction craziness. Whatever the cause was, I used a hair dryer. With the hottest setting, I took time.. With patience, the streaks went away like a miracle. It was after 24 hours of drying. If I had use the hot air earlier, it might have taken less time. But hot air works.

thanks

After a week of babying a dining room set to get it just perfect before varnishing, we applied this MinWax product and.... white streaks everywhere! Thanks to Google and all of you here, I did as you suggested, and used a hairdryer on the varnish less than an hour after the streaks appeared. It took only a few minutes, it now looks beautiful! Thank you to all of you who post and share your experience!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 12:13:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
This is an EASY fix!! The same thing happened to some interior doors I had stained and applied the same polyurethane to. Just get a blow dryer and go over the hazy areas. It takes a little time, but works like magic and stays looking like new. Wish I would have known this years ago when I had the same problem, stripped down everything, and started over 😫

Thank you for this tip!! I had a lot of white left over on some night stands I'm working on and I panicked, thinking I would have to start from scratch. I'm so glad I read this post - the hair dryer was such an easy fix!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 3:46:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 12:13:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
This is an EASY fix!! The same thing happened to some interior doors I had stained and applied the same polyurethane to. Just get a blow dryer and go over the hazy areas. It takes a little time, but works like magic and stays looking like new. Wish I would have known this years ago when I had the same problem, stripped down everything, and started over 😫

Thank you for this tip!! I had a lot of white left over on some night stands I'm working on and I panicked, thinking I would have to start from scratch. I'm so glad I read this post - the hair dryer was such an easy fix!

I just found out from MinWax they have a problem with their stain and polyurethane. They call it "entrapment". This happens when recovering an old minwax surface. Their solution is to sand down to bare wood and start over.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/11/2020 8:23 PM, Teri Young wrote:
[...]

I have never trusted or been happy with any MinWax product, except that
their finishing wax is a good screw lubricant.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2020 9:35 AM, Leon wrote:

I have never trusted or been happy with any MinWax product, except that
their finishing wax is a good screw lubricant.

They do have good marketing though

Can you thin Minwax Polyurethane? [email protected] Woodworking 21 May 12th 17 06:44 PM
Fast drying polyurethane?? BD[_2_] Woodworking 6 February 20th 08 01:20 PM
Minwax fast drying poly over Formby's Tung Oil [email protected] Woodworking 13 August 30th 07 09:12 PM
White haze GARY Woodworking 6 June 15th 06 03:21 PM
Wrestling with Fast Drying Polyurethane Chip off the Ol'Proc Woodworking 2 September 5th 04 03:58 AM