Posted to rec.woodworking
bw bw is offline

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

Purchased last fall, opened yesterday. Stirred as usual, looked ok.
Applied with foam brush on test piece of medium pored teak-like wood.
Set aside at room temperature and it immediately starts to look like I
coated the wood in white soap.
What the hey. After a couple hours no change. Almost looks like I painted
the wood with white lead.

I've used this produce before without problems, but it "might" be some kind
of reaction with the wood.
The wood was purchased at a farm sale in a batch of other hard woods that
could have been over 30 years old. Some mahogany and what I thought was teak
but I can't imagine what the heck happened.

Maybe return the can to the store and try another batch.

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

bw wrote:
Purchased last fall, opened yesterday. Stirred as usual, looked ok.
Applied with foam brush on test piece of medium pored teak-like wood.
Set aside at room temperature and it immediately starts to look like I
coated the wood in white soap.
What the hey. After a couple hours no change. Almost looks like I
painted the wood with white lead.

I've used this produce before without problems, but it "might" be
some kind of reaction with the wood.
The wood was purchased at a farm sale in a batch of other hard woods
that could have been over 30 years old. Some mahogany and what I
thought was teak but I can't imagine what the heck happened.

Maybe return the can to the store and try another batch.

Could there be moisture in the sample wood???

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking

This sound like blush for sure which is moisture captured in the
finish before it has a chance to evaporate. I've only seen it with
lacquer but maybe this "fast dry" is acting like lacquer and skinning
over very fast, not allowing the moisture to evaoprate. With lacquer
we add a retarder to slow the skinning to allow the moisture to
escape. Typically only seen when you have high humidity.

A few possibilities a
- Moisture in material. I guess unlikely if this was the first time it
was ever opened.
- Shelf life problem and something went bad in the can.
- High moisture content in the wood.

I am not familiar with this product. Is it water based? If it is oil
based, maybe try thinning it with some mineral spirits to maybe
increase the open time to let the moisture escape. If water based, is
there a thinner you can use, maybe flowtrol or something? Also, is
this semi-gloss or satin? Those sheen killers are just white paint
pigment so maybe somehow it got out of balance and you got all of it
in one coat.

On Feb 13, 10:00*am, "bw" wrote:
Purchased last fall, opened yesterday. Stirred as usual, looked ok.
Applied with foam brush on test piece of medium pored teak-like wood.
Set aside at room temperature and it immediately starts to look like I
coated the wood in white soap.
What the hey. After a couple hours no change. Almost looks like I painted
the wood with white lead.

I've used this produce before without problems, but it "might" be some kind
of reaction with the wood.
The wood was purchased at a farm sale in a batch of other hard woods that
could have been over 30 years old. Some mahogany and what I thought was teak
but I can't imagine what the heck happened.

Maybe return the can to the store and try another batch.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bw bw is offline

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
[...]

Oil based, satin. It's a quart can.
Now that I think about it, while I stirred the can to mix the bottom layer
for a while I looked at the lid and noticed it had the white soapy color, so
then I touched the white with the foam brush first to see what it would do.
Some of the white was already soaked in the brush when I dipped it in the
main can.

I ended up sanding the white off and trying something else. Now I'll take
more time mixing, I didn't know that the sheen killers were white pigment.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bw bw is offline

"PDQ" wrote in message
bw wrote:
Purchased last fall, opened yesterday. Stirred as usual, looked ok.
Applied with foam brush on test piece of medium pored teak-like wood.
Set aside at room temperature and it immediately starts to look like I
coated the wood in white soap.
What the hey. After a couple hours no change. Almost looks like I
painted the wood with white lead.

I've used this produce before without problems, but it "might" be
some kind of reaction with the wood.
The wood was purchased at a farm sale in a batch of other hard woods
that could have been over 30 years old. Some mahogany and what I
thought was teak but I can't imagine what the heck happened.

Maybe return the can to the store and try another batch.

Could there be moisture in the sample wood???

P D Q
Doubt it, it's been very dry around here this winter. Wood stored on high
rack in garage.
Test piece was sanded as usual along the grain. Wood does "feel" moist or
greasy to touch.
It might be that I'm not that experienced with tropical wood.

Tested another piece with mineral oil and it really looks good so I'll skip
the poly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Purchased last fall, opened yesterday. Stirred as usual, looked ok.
Applied with foam brush on test piece of medium pored teak-like wood.
Set aside at room temperature and it immediately starts to look like I
coated the wood in white soap.
What the hey. After a couple hours no change. Almost looks like I painted
the wood with white lead.
bw

I had the exact same thing happen to me when finishing three computer
desks. My first coat went fine but it "fogged" white during the second
coat. Even though it was temperate and dry inside, the temperature and
humidity outside was high and apparently some of the moisture seeped
into the poly. I ended up dipping the desktops to remove the poly and
recoating a week later and they came out fine.

`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 10:58*pm, "bw" wrote:
[...]

As usual, Sr. Sonoma is on his game. FWIW, I agree.

I ended up sanding the white off and trying something else. Now I'll take
more time mixing, I didn't know that the sheen killers were white pigment..

Actually, the shine killers that break the reflectivity are usually
some type of silica, flat ground to the manufacturer's specs.

These will easily collect on the bottom of the can if the material is
old, or in my experience, been exposed to a lot of different temp
changes. (For example, here we have had some days lately where the
overnight temp was 35 - 40 degrees different from the day temps).

Do yourself a favor. Go to the hardware store and buy yourself a
paint stirring gizmo with the spiral configuration on the end. Put
that on the end of your drill and stir your material, no matter what
it is, for at least three minutes in a quart sized can. More for a
gallon, even more for a five gallon.

Don't whip any air into your material when you are stirring. Air will
make bubble in your finish, even after application. A low mix speed
works fine. When the semi gloss, satin clear coat is properly mixed
it will look like clear amber in the can. Some clear flats look a bit
cloudy, but consistent. Never white.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking
bw bw is offline

wrote in message

[...]

Excellent !! I do have a paint mixer bit, but it seemed aggressive for a
quart of poly.
My work area is a partially heated enclosed porch, the temp was lower than
RT.
My poly experience had been with "gloss" or "stain" and used right after
purchase.
Now I'm confident that poor mixing was my problem. Thanks for responding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Last winter I had the same situation with Krylon sprays. I had a few
small projects and decided to spray bomb them with clear over Minwax
water base stain. The boxes I wanted to spray were a week dry but both
Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear & Trilpe-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze both
fogger up something terrible after following the directions to the
letter. Through e-mail communication the conclusion was humidity. I
live in Florida which is notorious for humidity but it was winter so
I'd say it was about 40 to 50%, which is considered low for here. The
plus side worth noting are the people at Krylon were very apologetic
and even offered to send me two new cans, which I guess I can still
get but for small projects I'll stick with Rust-Oleum Lacquer High
Luster, which I never had a problem with even in summer... Ray,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 13, 2009 12:00:36 PM UTC-6, bw wrote:
Purchased last fall, opened yesterday. Stirred as usual, looked ok.
Applied with foam brush on test piece of medium pored teak-like wood.
Set aside at room temperature and it immediately starts to look like I
coated the wood in white soap.
What the hey. After a couple hours no change. Almost looks like I painted
the wood with white lead.

I've used this produce before without problems, but it "might" be some kind
of reaction with the wood.
The wood was purchased at a farm sale in a batch of other hard woods that
could have been over 30 years old. Some mahogany and what I thought was teak
but I can't imagine what the heck happened.

Maybe return the can to the store and try another batch.

I am having a similar problem with the same product. The first time I used it the room came out beautiful. The next room I did a week later is dull. I used a foam brush both times. I went and bought another can and went over it to get the sheen. Waited a week and did another room and the same problem again! Just no sheen at all! Maybe I have to buy small cans, so it's a new can each time. Depressing! I still have 4 rooms and a landing to go. I was wondering if I shouldn't be wiping my brush on the side of the can as I go? I just don't understand!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Boy, that sure does sound like oxidation in the can. I assume you stirred
properly before each application. I'm guessing that the fast dry
characteristic is what's biting you. Watch for comments from Robert
(Nailshooter). He'll have definitive commentary if he does reply.
Otherwise, I'd go with your plan and assume it's an oxidation issue.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
On Friday, February 13, 2009 12:00:36 PM UTC-6, bw wrote:

I wonder if the OP figured out the problem sometime in the last 5
years?

Geeze - I never notice these date stamps.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 8:17:08 PM UTC-5, Morgans wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

On Friday, February 13, 2009 12:00:36 PM UTC-6, bw wrote:

I wonder if the OP figured out the problem sometime in the last 5 years?

--

Jim in NC

---

Good info to have, though, in case this ever comes up, which apparently it does from time to time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

I've used the traditional Minwax oil stains and rubbing oil products
with great success for 30+ yr as well as their early conventional
poly's (altho I don't use poly much at all) and recommend them
highly. The newer "labor saving" products I think are misguided and
not worth bringing home.

That seems to be true. It's hard to believe that anything that is
formulated to be fast drying, can at the same time, have a long shelf life -
unless it's a catalyzed finish. Something has to give and once you
introduce air into the can, the product is going to start doing exactly what
it was designed to do.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

I didin't see it in any of the posts but you aren't by any chance using
satin or flat?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Baron wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Don't expect a reply. Like you, I replied earlier, not realizing that the
post I was replying to was something like 5 years old. Good chance the
poster is not still looking for responses... That said - I doubt it's a
matter of satin or flat. She said the same product worked as she desired on
a previous project. And... the description of the problem is not one of a
satin or flat finish versus a gloss finish.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote

Here, just in passing, as Michael notes in his response, there is
something of interest. My experience w/ the Minwax fast dry and blended
poly's is I won't touch 'em going forward.

No doubt.

My experience suggest that the clear was put over something like stain that
was not completely outgassed, or the clear was put on or allowed to dry in a
high humidity environment.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morgans wrote:
"dpb" wrote

Here, just in passing, as Michael notes in his response, there is
something of interest. My experience w/ the Minwax fast dry and
blended poly's is I won't touch 'em going forward.

No doubt.

My experience suggest that the clear was put over something like
stain that was not completely outgassed, or the clear was put on or
allowed to dry in a high humidity environment.

That's a common problem with lacquers, but no so common with poly.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just bought a spray can of minwax polyurathane for my final coat on an old walnut table. Previous coats had been minwax polyurathane fast drying rub-on with sanding in between. I live in a arid region of the country, so I know moisture is not a problem. The spray can of minwax left a milky, rough finish. I will sand it off tomorrow and go back to my hand rub routine. Very disappointing product and waste of money!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/2/2014 6:37 AM, Swingman wrote:
I have used two separate cans, satin and semi-gloss, almost every day
this past week of this exact product, making stain samples for color
decisions for a client, and have not had a problem.

One other thing. If you are using anything but "gloss", IOW a satin or
semi-gloss product, she simply may not have shaken the can enough.

When the direction say shake for two minutes, particularly with a
product that has particulates in it to cause a sheen, the need to
thoroughly mix the product is critical.

Go back, shake well and test it on a board to see if the the blush still
happens.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

I have used two separate cans, satin and semi-gloss, almost every day
this past week of this exact product, making stain samples for color
decisions for a client, and have not had a problem.

Call Min-Wax.

FWIW, I do not sand or scuff in between coats with this product and
have yet to have a problem.

So now you've peaked my curiosity Karl. How long do you typically wait
between coats?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

One other thing. If you are using anything but "gloss", IOW a satin or
semi-gloss product, she simply may not have shaken the can enough.

When the direction say shake for two minutes, particularly with a
product that has particulates in it to cause a sheen, the need to
thoroughly mix the product is critical.

Absolutely correct - and Karl claims he don't know nuthin' 'bout spraying
finishes... I can only say that I strenuously agree with him on this! I
learned a long time ago that the smart guys that they hire to come up with
this crap know a lot more than me, and so I trust in what they say. Of
course, I learned that the hard way...

Go back, shake well and test it on a board to see if the the blush
still happens.

I'll bet it does not. Poly does not generally blush. That's more a lacquer
characteristic. Even with lacquer, it's related to humidity and that is not
an issue for this poster. I have to believe (at first guess with minimal
information), that the problem really does lie in the proper use of the
product.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/2/2014 7:21 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

I have used two separate cans, satin and semi-gloss, almost every day
this past week of this exact product, making stain samples for color
decisions for a client, and have not had a problem.

Call Min-Wax.

FWIW, I do not sand or scuff in between coats with this product and
have yet to have a problem.

So now you've peaked my curiosity Karl. How long do you typically wait
between coats?

For this product, I apply a thin coat and re-coat in _no more_ than two
hours, per manufacturer's specific instructions, normally 20 to 30 minutes.

I'm one of those who hates finishing so much that I actually, and
religiously, follow the manufacturer's directions to a "T".

To paraphrase their directions for recoating with this product: "if you
wait more than two hours to re-coat, you must then wait 72 hours, then
sand/scuff before re-coating."

Don't have that much time to waste ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

[...]

In the course of this entire dialog, I just became aware of one of those
perspective things. When I think of poly, I think brush application -
because that's how I usually apply poly to wood. I'm systematic in how I do
that - very wet coats, spread - not brushed on the work piece. So - (my
bad...) that's what I think of by default when poly topics come up. I guess
I haven't figured out yet, how to think outside of my own box...

Now, having finally realized that you might just be talking about spraying
with rattle cans (spraying to me of course, means a big ass compressor and
really good spray guns...), I'm suddenly struck by one of those light bulb
moments.

D'Oh - sometimes it takes so damned long for the obvious to become clear...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/2/2014 7:42 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Now, having finally realized that you might just be talking about spraying
with rattle cans (spraying to me of course, means a big ass compressor and
really good spray guns...), I'm suddenly struck by one of those light bulb
moments.

That was the most important part of the question the OP asked:

;

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/2/2014 8:31 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Ain't it just the ****s when ya miss something so obvious...

Why we buy toilet paper by the case at CostCo.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 6/2/2014 7:42 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Now, having finally realized that you might just be talking about
spraying with rattle cans (spraying to me of course, means a big ass
compressor and really good spray guns...), I'm suddenly struck by
one of those light bulb moments.

That was the most important part of the question the OP asked:

"Just bought a spray can of minwax polyurathane for my final coat on
an old walnut table. "

Ain't it just the ****s when ya miss something so obvious...

--

-Mike-

I think I'm getting old or something...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 6/2/2014 8:31 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Ain't it just the ****s when ya miss something so obvious...

Why we buy toilet paper by the case at CostCo.

And to think - people ask me what that tractor trailer parked behind the
house is all about...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Despite an old post, a relevant aspect (maybe) can be gleaned.

Stirring properly and following can instructions may have been a part of the OP's problem, but I think moisture contributed to the issue.

The OP said the wood was stored in the garage (in essence, outdoors, cold temps?), yet the work place was a "heated porch". He/she said the wood "... "feels" moist". He/she may not have allowed the wood's temp to acclimate to the work place's higher temp, hence, there may (likely?) had been slight condensation on the wood surface. I assume, quick condensation formed on the can's lid, also, apparently (again, I assume, by what the OP said) immediately after opening.

In the OP's (I assume) colder climate location, plus the garage vs heated porch immediate environment, there may have been a significant temp difference to cause some condensation, despite his/hers generally dry climate. A significant temp difference, from garage to work place, can negate the general dry climate arena.

Op said he/she had used the product, before, with no problems. What might have been the difference in the two work scenarios, circumstances.... Weather conditions, prep conditions, temp acclimation, something else, including can instructions?

Where was the poly stored? Was its temperature greatly different from the wood and/or porch area, also? ...and compare this to the previous "no problem" usage.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
Despite an old post, a relevant aspect (maybe) can be gleaned.

Stirring properly and following can instructions may have been a part
of the OP's problem, but I think moisture contributed to the issue.

Maybe, but...

The OP said the wood was stored in the garage (in essence, outdoors,
cold temps?), yet the work place was a "heated porch". He/she said
the wood "... "feels" moist". He/she may not have allowed the wood's
temp to acclimate to the work place's higher temp, hence, there may
(likely?) had been slight condensation on the wood surface. I
assume, quick condensation formed on the can's lid, also, apparently
(again, I assume, by what the OP said) immediately after opening.

Just to set the record... this is what my newsreader shows as the original
post (despite it being long aged...). I don't see anything in the OP that
talks about storage in the garage, heated porches, cold temps, feeling
moist, etc. Are you referencing a different post when you refer to the OP?

************* End of Included Text ******************

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 11:44:17 AM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:

Mike, here's what I'm seeing, additional to the original post:

bw, the poster's follow-up posts:

"-----------------------------------------------
Doubt it, it's been very dry around here this winter. Wood stored on high
rack in garage.
Test piece was sanded as usual along the grain. Wood does "feel" moist or
greasy to touch.
It might be that I'm not that experienced with tropical wood.

Tested another piece with mineral oil and it really looks good so I'll skip
the poly."

Then he later posted:

"Excellent !! I do have a paint mixer bit, but it seemed aggressive for a
quart of poly.
My work area is a partially heated enclosed porch, the temp was lower than
RT.
My poly experience had been with "gloss" or "stain" and used right after
purchase.
Now I'm confident that poor mixing was my problem. Thanks for responding."

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 11:44:17 AM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:

Mike, here's what I'm seeing, additional to the original post:

bw, the poster's follow-up posts:

Snip included text from posts that do not show up on my server...

Go figure. I looked back through the entire thread and I do not see the
posts that you included in this reply. Gotta love the way this stuff works
sometimes...

--

-Mike-

Can you thin Minwax Polyurethane? [email protected] Woodworking 21 May 12th 17 06:44 PM
Fast drying polyurethane?? BD[_2_] Woodworking 6 February 20th 08 01:20 PM
Minwax fast drying poly over Formby's Tung Oil [email protected] Woodworking 13 August 30th 07 09:12 PM
White haze GARY Woodworking 6 June 15th 06 03:21 PM
Wrestling with Fast Drying Polyurethane Chip off the Ol'Proc Woodworking 2 September 5th 04 03:58 AM