Old August 29th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Minwax fast drying poly over Formby's Tung Oil

Getting ready to finish a desk, the top is walnut with walnut inlay
and I would like a good durable finish. Have been experimenting with
just the Formby's Tung Oil and just simply Poly, question is... would
I get the best finish by using 2-3 applicaitons of Formby's Tung Oil,
then 2 or 3 Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane?
One of those things, your scared to start but want it done right.
There's no turning back!
The desk is built in, which is built of red oak, with the desk top
walnut and crown trim has a section of walnut, all else is oak - the
backs of the uppers is beadboard .. which I would like to apply the
Formby's tung oil to all, should this be covered with Poly as well, or
is Formby's good enough, or is the Minwax fast drying great by itself?

Any suggestions would be great! I've narrowed it down to these
choices, but open to suggestions...
Thanks,
dcrab

Old August 29th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Formby's is dilute poly.
There is no harm to putting on two brands of poly, but no particular point
to it either.
Personally I would put LBO over all, let dry thoroughly, and put poly over
the desktop.

Note they call it "Tung Oil Finish". That is much like "Orange Drink" that
has no orange in it.

Old August 29th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I just did a jewelry box that had a couple coats of Danish Oil and then two
coats of Minwax Fast Drying Poly and it turned out great, or so everyone
tells me.

I personally didn't really see much of a difference after I put the second
coat of danish oil on.

Old August 29th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"efgh" wrote in message news:[email protected]

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Actually that was not a good idea. Danish Oil is a very soft film, and it
doesn't make much sense to put a hard film over a soft film.

Old August 29th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

"efgh" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Now you tell me.

Old August 29th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Toller" wrote:

"efgh" wrote in message news:[email protected]
I just did a jewelry box that had a couple coats of Danish Oil and then
two coats of Minwax Fast Drying Poly and it turned out great, or so
everyone tells me.

I personally didn't really see much of a difference after I put the second
coat of danish oil on.

Actually that was not a good idea. Danish Oil is a very soft film, and it
doesn't make much sense to put a hard film over a soft film.

Since when is oil a "film" finish?

--
Regards,

Old August 29th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Getting ready to finish a desk, the top is walnut with walnut inlay
and I would like a good durable finish. Have been experimenting with
just the Formby's Tung Oil and just simply Poly, question is...
would I get the best finish by using 2-3 applicaitons of Formby's
Tung Oil, then 2 or 3 Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane?

What would be the point of using both?

There are three things a finish does...

1. Color the wood
2. Protect the wood
3. Provide a sheen

All finishes color the wood to some extent. By "color" I mean that
both the grain and natutal color is emphasized. Water base finishes
color the least; oil based - varnish or oil - color the most.
Lacquer is intermediate. Don't recall about shellac, been too long
since I used it.

Surface films like varnish and lacquer provide the most protection,
oils the least. By "protection" I mean protection from stains,
spills, fingermarks and the like, not protection from physical damage.

The sheen can range from dead flat to high gloss. Oils provide a flat
sheen but can be worked up with was to a pleasant glow. Surface films
like varnish/lacqur/shellac can be whatever you want.

Consequently, my question of "What would be the point of using both?".
You would gain nothing using oil then poly vs poly alone (assuming it
is oil based poly).

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Old August 29th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
.

Actually that was not a good idea. Danish Oil is a very soft film, and it
doesn't make much sense to put a hard film over a soft film.

There is really nothing wrong with putting a varnish over a Danish Oil. The
oil is not much protection and should be covered if you want added
protection.

Old August 29th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
.

Actually that was not a good idea. Danish Oil is a very soft film, and
it doesn't make much sense to put a hard film over a soft film.

There is really nothing wrong with putting a varnish over a Danish Oil.
The oil is not much protection and should be covered if you want added
protection.

Danish oil contains varnish and forms a soft film. Why would you put a hard
film over a soft film? It just encourages the hard film to be scratched?
Oil is not much protection and should be covered, true; but Danish Oil is
not oil.

Old August 29th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Toller"
wrote:

"efgh" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I just did a jewelry box that had a couple coats of Danish Oil and then
two coats of Minwax Fast Drying Poly and it turned out great, or so
everyone tells me.

I personally didn't really see much of a difference after I put the
second
coat of danish oil on.

Actually that was not a good idea. Danish Oil is a very soft film, and it
doesn't make much sense to put a hard film over a soft film.

Since when is oil a "film" finish?

When the surface is saturated and you add another coat. It's called
"curing" oil for a reason.

OTOH, most "Danish" oils aren't rich enough to saturate the surface after
only two coats, so the poly will likely be fine.