Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default Minwax fast drying poly over Formby's Tung Oil

"efgh" wrote in message news:cyfBi.2428$bO6.2394@edtnps89...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Getting ready to finish a desk, the top is walnut with walnut inlay
and I would like a good durable finish. Have been experimenting with
just the Formby's Tung Oil and just simply Poly, question is... would
I get the best finish by using 2-3 applicaitons of Formby's Tung Oil,
then 2 or 3 Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane?
One of those things, your scared to start but want it done right.
There's no turning back!
The desk is built in, which is built of red oak, with the desk top
walnut and crown trim has a section of walnut, all else is oak - the
backs of the uppers is beadboard .. which I would like to apply the
Formby's tung oil to all, should this be covered with Poly as well, or
is Formby's good enough, or is the Minwax fast drying great by itself?

Any suggestions would be great! I've narrowed it down to these
choices, but open to suggestions...
Thanks,
dcrab

I just did a jewelry box that had a couple coats of Danish Oil and then
two coats of Minwax Fast Drying Poly and it turned out great, or so
everyone tells me.

I personally didn't really see much of a difference after I put the second
coat of danish oil on.

Actually that was not a good idea. Danish Oil is a very soft film, and it
doesn't make much sense to put a hard film over a soft film.