Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Minwax fast dry poly, Sprayable??

Someone please answer this ?. Is Minwax Fast Dry Poly Sprayable and if
so what are the percentages of Poly to Thinner for an AIR spray gun
(1qt. size).
Thank you, BRADLEY.

Posted to rec.woodworking

From what I have read, poly is a pain to spray. I think that's why all the
big furniture giants spray lacquer, not poly.

---
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 May 2007 15:16:09 -0400, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

From what I have read, poly is a pain to spray. I think that's why all the
big furniture giants spray lacquer, not poly.

It actually sprays quite well. It even comes in spray cans.

However, it stays tacky a long time and dries slowly, so you have to
protect against airborne dust and wait to rub a lot longer. Factories
that use it often have ovens or heat lamps to force dry it quickly.

Lacquer:
1.) Becomes tack-free really fast - less dust in tacky finish
2.) Cures (or in lacquer's case, completely dries) really fast =
faster ready to rub out defects
3.) Melts one coat into another, so "witness lines" aren't created by
over rubbing or fixing defects.

On the plus side, if you can keep out the dust, poly won't blush, and
it's more durable than lacquer.

Without special spray booths, heat lamps, etc... I'd simply wipe the
poly on.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I've sprayed poly from an airbrush with heavy nozzle. Don't remember how
much I thinned it but it worked fine for a small box. I think the reason
that manufacturers use lacquer instead of poly is speed. Poly is more
durable but dries slower.

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
From what I have read, poly is a pain to spray. I think that's why all

the
big furniture giants spray lacquer, not poly.

---
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
From what I have read, poly is a pain to spray. I think that's why all
the big furniture giants spray lacquer, not poly.

The furniture company giants spray lacquer because it dries quickly. Faster
production.

Posted to rec.woodworking

From what I have read, poly is a pain to spray. I think that's why all
the big furniture giants spray lacquer, not poly.

Poly is actually easy to spray if you can spray paint. The viscosity
is about the same as a quality enamel, and thins to spray as needed,
more dependent on your equipment and the temps than the material
itself.

As pointed out, the bad news is that build coats are too long in
between.

Load some in the gun and shoot a pint or so.

Robert

Minwax oil over WB poly Toller Woodworking 3 November 4th 06 05:12 PM
Minwax oil over WB poly J T Woodworking 0 November 4th 06 04:42 PM
Minwax wipe-on poly bob Woodworking 8 August 28th 06 02:45 PM
Minwax Rub on Poly........ bremen68 Woodworking 6 September 24th 05 12:49 AM
# of coats-minwax fast dry polye-exterior door chester Home Repair 3 April 22nd 05 11:37 AM