Bill

Default Formby's Tung Oil Finish

I have seen several posts stating that Formby's Tung Oil Finish does not
actually contain any tung oil. Curiosity got the best of me and I
inquired and received a response from Fomby's. Response pasted below:

SUBJECT: Formby's Tung Oil Finish

Thank you for your inquiry. Here is the definitive answer: The
Formby's Tung Oil Finish does contain tung oil but is not 100% pure tung
oil. The Tung Oil Finish is a blend of tung nut oil and an alkyd
varnish resin. Unfortunately the formula is proprietary and we are
unable to provide the material composition ratios.

Sincerely,
Todd
Formby's Technical Service

res055a5

from what i understand, the usual tung oil contains driers and spirits as
well as
tung oil to make it set faster and keep it thin enough to still use. Lee
Valley
sells 100% pure tung oil and two other varieties...check out the description
on
their webpage to see the differences.
rich

"Bill" wrote in message
I have seen several posts stating that Formby's Tung Oil Finish does not
actually contain any tung oil. Curiosity got the best of me and I
inquired and received a response from Fomby's. Response pasted below:

SUBJECT: Formby's Tung Oil Finish

Thank you for your inquiry. Here is the definitive answer: The
Formby's Tung Oil Finish does contain tung oil but is not 100% pure tung
oil. The Tung Oil Finish is a blend of tung nut oil and an alkyd
varnish resin. Unfortunately the formula is proprietary and we are
unable to provide the material composition ratios.

Sincerely,
Todd
Formby's Technical Service

mac davis

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:54:15 GMT, "res055a5" wrote:

from what i understand, the usual tung oil contains driers and spirits as
well as
tung oil to make it set faster and keep it thin enough to still use. Lee
Valley
sells 100% pure tung oil and two other varieties...check out the description
on
their webpage to see the differences.
rich

I asked a friend who's really into finishing fine furniture and he
said that the "pure" tung oil is kind of like the powdered shellac...
so you can mix/doctor your own oil finish..

"Bill" wrote in message
I have seen several posts stating that Formby's Tung Oil Finish does not
actually contain any tung oil. Curiosity got the best of me and I
inquired and received a response from Fomby's. Response pasted below:

SUBJECT: Formby's Tung Oil Finish

Thank you for your inquiry. Here is the definitive answer: The
Formby's Tung Oil Finish does contain tung oil but is not 100% pure tung
oil. The Tung Oil Finish is a blend of tung nut oil and an alkyd
varnish resin. Unfortunately the formula is proprietary and we are
unable to provide the material composition ratios.

Sincerely,
Todd
Formby's Technical Service

mac