Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

Swingman wrote:
On 6/2/2014 7:21 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

I have used two separate cans, satin and semi-gloss, almost every
day this past week of this exact product, making stain samples for
color decisions for a client, and have not had a problem.

Call Min-Wax.

FWIW, I do not sand or scuff in between coats with this product and
have yet to have a problem.

So now you've peaked my curiosity Karl. How long do you typically
wait between coats?

For this product, I apply a thin coat and re-coat in _no more_ than
two hours, per manufacturer's specific instructions, normally 20 to
30 minutes.
I'm one of those who hates finishing so much that I actually, and
religiously, follow the manufacturer's directions to a "T".

To paraphrase their directions for recoating with this product: "if
you wait more than two hours to re-coat, you must then wait 72 hours,
then sand/scuff before re-coating."

Don't have that much time to waste ...

In the course of this entire dialog, I just became aware of one of those
perspective things. When I think of poly, I think brush application -
because that's how I usually apply poly to wood. I'm systematic in how I do
that - very wet coats, spread - not brushed on the work piece. So - (my
bad...) that's what I think of by default when poly topics come up. I guess
I haven't figured out yet, how to think outside of my own box...

Now, having finally realized that you might just be talking about spraying
with rattle cans (spraying to me of course, means a big ass compressor and
really good spray guns...), I'm suddenly struck by one of those light bulb
moments.

D'Oh - sometimes it takes so damned long for the obvious to become clear...

--

-Mike-