Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

On 11/11/2020 8:23 PM, Teri Young wrote:
On Saturday, June 29, 2019 at 3:46:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 12:13:43 PM UTC-7, wrote:
This is an EASY fix!! The same thing happened to some interior doors I had stained and applied the same polyurethane to. Just get a blow dryer and go over the hazy areas. It takes a little time, but works like magic and stays looking like new. Wish I would have known this years ago when I had the same problem, stripped down everything, and started over 😫

Thank you for this tip!! I had a lot of white left over on some night stands I'm working on and I panicked, thinking I would have to start from scratch. I'm so glad I read this post - the hair dryer was such an easy fix!

I just found out from MinWax they have a problem with their stain and polyurethane. They call it "entrapment". This happens when recovering an old minwax surface. Their solution is to sand down to bare wood and start over.

I have never trusted or been happy with any MinWax product, except that
their finishing wax is a good screw lubricant.