Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

On 10/21/2015 7:27 PM, wrote:
This JUST happened to me? It is the oddest thing! I have never seen this happen before. I had stained my fireplace, waited a few days...then put on the polyurethane and it streaked it white...as if I had let water sit on it or something. Did anyone ever give you a reason why this happened? I have used the exact same polyurethane before and the product was great. I am so confused...hence I googled to see if anyone else has had this problem. Let me know if you have any answers.

I had this problem with a table top, The way I fixed it was to sand the
top down to nearly bare wood, wipe it good with mineral spirts, and let
dry for several days. Then used a colored (pecan) varnish to finish the
table. I have the first coat of varnish on the table, it has been
drying for a couple days with no white specks

I beleive that some thing in the wood, stain and the clear varnish was
being extracted to create the whiteness. I don't know it was the Minwax
varnish, Minwax stain, or some thing coming out of the wood, or a
combination of the three.