Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

On 10/26/2015 1:48 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 2:01:26 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

Where do you get cheap lacquer thinner? Or maybe we differ in
definitions of "cheap"? Last I bought was $16+/gallon.

I also miss $1.49/gallon paint thinner sigh

No kidding! I used to buy this stuff just called "mineral spirits"
that was didn't even have a name on it. Just a distributor. It came
in a blue and white can and was something like $1.99 a gallon,
occasionally on sale for less. I was warned NOT to thin paint or
coatings with it but it was dandy for cleaning brushes and equipment.
It smelled a lot like motor oil. But it was about .75 to a buck less
than real thinner.

From time to time I find Sherwin Williams with one of their "economy"
brands like Sunnyvale. (Again, warned NOT to use this to thin good
product!) Sunnyvale will go on sale for about $9.99 a gallon,
sometimes less. StarTex at SW is usually around $14 or so a gallon,
but I wait until they have their 35% off sale and buy a couple of
gallons. I don't use it that much, so it lasts a while.

Robert you might entertain checking with an "automotive" paint supplier.
I know that they typically sell 55 gal drums to body shops and they do
have different grades. We used to buy 55 gal drums of thinner to clean
the guns. We bought the better stuff for mixing to the paint. Anyway
they might be a bit less expensive since they deal in higher volumes.

I have been surprised over the last year how much paint, solvents and
thinners have jumped in price, and for the life of me have no idea
why so much. Any ideas?

Probably environmental taxes.

Robert