Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

On Saturday, October 24, 2015 at 2:01:26 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

Where do you get cheap lacquer thinner? Or maybe we differ in definitions
of "cheap"? Last I bought was $16+/gallon.

I also miss $1.49/gallon paint thinner sigh

No kidding! I used to buy this stuff just called "mineral spirits" that was didn't even have a name on it. Just a distributor. It came in a blue and white can and was something like $1.99 a gallon, occasionally on sale for less. I was warned NOT to thin paint or coatings with it but it was dandy for cleaning brushes and equipment. It smelled a lot like motor oil. But it was about .75 to a buck less than real thinner.

From time to time I find Sherwin Williams with one of their "economy" brands like Sunnyvale. (Again, warned NOT to use this to thin good product!) Sunnyvale will go on sale for about $9.99 a gallon, sometimes less. StarTex at SW is usually around $14 or so a gallon, but I wait until they have their 35% off sale and buy a couple of gallons. I don't use it that much, so it lasts a while.

I have been surprised over the last year how much paint, solvents and thinners have jumped in price, and for the life of me have no idea why so much. Any ideas?

Robert