Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

On 3/11/2016 8:36 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 07:29:39 -0600, Leon wrote:

wrote:
On Friday, February 13, 2009 at 10:00:36 AM UTC-8, bw wrote:
Purchased last fall, opened yesterday. Stirred as usual, looked ok.
Applied with foam brush on test piece of medium pored teak-like wood.
Set aside at room temperature and it immediately starts to look like I
coated the wood in white soap.
What the hey. After a couple hours no change. Almost looks like I painted
the wood with white lead.

I've used this produce before without problems, but it "might" be some kind
of reaction with the wood.
The wood was purchased at a farm sale in a batch of other hard woods that
could have been over 30 years old. Some mahogany and what I thought was teak
but I can't imagine what the heck happened.

Maybe return the can to the store and try another batch.

Sounds like moisture contamination.

It's definitely not moisture in the wood. The wood has had at least since 2009 to dry out. ;-)

Yes it has been drying for years but if it was rained on it is no longer
dry.