Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

On 10/22/2015 12:02 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 8:28:41 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

well, it's fast drying. So it has no retarder, or has a lot of driers
(metals).

Metals are sometimes used to assist drying but are more commonly used as hardeners. A world of difference.

Generally is sounds like a humidity problem. Too high to use a fast
drying product. When the humidity is high, a retarder is generally used.
If you use a fast drying product, you get a haze.

Jeff, I have been doing this professionally a long time. Do you mind me asking you how you came up with that? That certainly has not been my experience.

Robert

A long time ago, I sprayed regularly (lacquer (automotive) , dope
(airplanes) imron (airplanes (both models and full size), buses, some
cars) ) . Both for myself and for other people. Up here in the North
East when it gets humid, I would have problems with hazing. So a little
retarder would allow it to slow the drying process, and not fully trap
the humidity into the finish.
Without knowing the chemistry of it, I assumed it was :
By slow drying it would get pushed out in the gassing off process of drying.

The retarder idea came from the supply shop I used to get all my paints
from.

--
Jeff