Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw and resawing

I am about to purchase a 14" delux Rikon band saw for $750 unless some
one suggest a better saw or price. Besides general furniture making
stuff i would like to Resaw some Oak tree that I cut late winter.
Whats the best method to cut a 48" x 12" logs into 4/4 and 8/4 and
12/4. I will set the bandsaw up next to a work bench for the out feed
side and fiqure something out for the infeed side. Now the logs are
full lenght. Oak is my least favorite furniture wood but thats what I
have. I have never resawd so recommendations on blades, is a cradle
needed ?, cut now or let logs dry some after end sealing?,pith issues.
Suggested web site on resawing?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"henry" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am about to purchase a 14" delux Rikon band saw for $750 unless some
one suggest a better saw or price. Besides general furniture making
stuff i would like to Resaw some Oak tree that I cut late winter.
Whats the best method to cut a 48" x 12" logs into 4/4 and 8/4 and
12/4. I will set the bandsaw up next to a work bench for the out feed
side and fiqure something out for the infeed side. Now the logs are
full lenght. Oak is my least favorite furniture wood but thats what I
have. I have never resawd so recommendations on blades, is a cradle
needed ?, cut now or let logs dry some after end sealing?,pith issues.
Suggested web site on resawing?

I have been down the path of resawing green wood on a Rikon BS. I had the
18" version and IIRC all of the Rikon's have roller bearing guides. This is
not a good combination for resawing/cutting green wood.
The problem is that the saw dust sticks to the bearings and the blade. As
the debris gets POUNDED onto the bearings and blade the noise and vibration
goes up dramatically. In addition to this problem the pitch and dust is
very hard to remove from the bearings and blades.

The Rikon line of BS's are a good starter set of saws. Definitely not an
upgrade from any brand IMHO. I had a 12" 1/2" hp 20 year old Craftsman and
was very disappointed in the performance and guide bearings on the 18" 2 hp
Rikon.

Regardless of what brand you buy, I strongly recommend getting it with or
immediately replacing the guide bearings with ceramic guides. These style
guides do not get hot and can be adjusted extremely close to the blade. The
result is that the blades stay clean and you don't get the vibration from
spinning guide bearings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

henry wrote:

I am about to purchase a 14" delux Rikon band saw for $750 unless some
one suggest a better saw or price. Besides general furniture making
stuff i would like to Resaw some Oak tree that I cut late winter.
Whats the best method to cut a 48" x 12" logs into 4/4 and 8/4 and
12/4. I will set the bandsaw up next to a work bench for the out feed
side and fiqure something out for the infeed side. Now the logs are
full lenght. Oak is my least favorite furniture wood but thats what I
have. I have never resawd so recommendations on blades, is a cradle
needed ?, cut now or let logs dry some after end sealing?,pith issues.
Suggested web site on resawing?

AFAIK, there are 3 different ways to resaw logs.

One, just run it through manually, trying to keep the log from rolling in any
direction. It can be done, but it's a little nervewracking and can even
break blades.

Two, run the flattest side of the log over the jointer for a few passes, just
enough to create a flat an inch or so wide. Then resaw it. Much easier.

Third is to use a cradle. Take a look at:

http://www.beaverpondstudio.com/Log_Jig.html

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I have been down the path of resawing green wood on a Rikon BS.**I*had*the
18" version and IIRC all of the Rikon's have roller bearing guides.**This*is
not a good combination for resawing/cutting green wood.

I can't argue with your logic, but I recently resawed about a dozen green
apple logs on my Rikon 14" deluxe with no such problem. A couple approached
the 13" capacity of the saw. Maybe I was just lucky.

I have heard of people actually waxing the blade. I haven't done that, but
you might want to give it a try. I worry that it might make the blade slip
on the wheels.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
om...
Leon wrote:

I have been down the path of resawing green wood on a Rikon BS. I had the
18" version and IIRC all of the Rikon's have roller bearing guides. This
is
not a good combination for resawing/cutting green wood.

I can't argue with your logic, but I recently resawed about a dozen green
apple logs on my Rikon 14" deluxe with no such problem. A couple approached
the 13" capacity of the saw. Maybe I was just lucky.

Perhaps. ;~)

I have heard of people actually waxing the blade. I haven't done that, but
you might want to give it a try. I worry that it might make the blade slip
on the wheels.

I would think that properly tensioned the wax would not pose a problem.
Sometimes wax creates a more grabby surface and most manufacturers recomend
lightly oiling the blades.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Regardless of what brand you buy, I strongly recommend getting it with or
immediately replacing the guide bearings with ceramic guides. These style
guides do not get hot and can be adjusted extremely close to the blade. The
result is that the blades stay clean and you don't get the vibration from
spinning guide bearings.

Where did you get the ceramic guides for your 18" Rikon?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Leon wrote:
Regardless of what brand you buy, I strongly recommend getting it with or
immediately replacing the guide bearings with ceramic guides. These
style
guides do not get hot and can be adjusted extremely close to the blade.
The
result is that the blades stay clean and you don't get the vibration from
spinning guide bearings.

Where did you get the ceramic guides for your 18" Rikon?

I got rid of the Rikon 2 weeks after receiving it as it was not up to my
expectations performance wise. The guides were the main problem, not being
able to have the blade track consistently was another.

I bought a Laguna LT16HD, it came with 10 contact point ceramic guides. All
performance and adjustment problems were solved with this saw right out of
the box.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

I bought a Laguna LT16HD, it came with 10 contact point ceramic guides.
All performance and adjustment problems were solved with this saw right
out of the box.

I followed with great interest your experience with the Laguna.

How would you rate the Laguna value wise against its competition? We know
it is a good saw. Just how much of a bargain/value is it compared to other
band saws?

Or is this just one of those things where you just pay for it because it is
a quality, top of the line machine? (Like Festool, etc.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Leon" wrote in message

I bought a Laguna LT16HD, it came with 10 contact point ceramic guides.
All performance and adjustment problems were solved with this saw right
out of the box.

I followed with great interest your experience with the Laguna.

How would you rate the Laguna value wise against its competition? We know
it is a good saw. Just how much of a bargain/value is it compared to other
band saws?

Or is this just one of those things where you just pay for it because it
is a quality, top of the line machine? (Like Festool, etc.)

IMHO most of the popular brands that I have seen, Rikon, Jet, Delta,
Powermatic, Craftsman and Ridgid are a lot of product for the money but not
a lot of quality results. Any of those saws in the $1200 range and lower
simply seem to be attaching parts that fill the first time consumers needs.
I have never seen a Grizzly so I cannot say much there except that it
probably falls equally in that group. The older Delta saws were pretty darn
good but then every one including Delta seemed to go towards the European
style saws.

Anyway the Laguna value is cheap IMHO if you are looking for a saw that will
be passed on to your grand kids as long as you buy the upper end HD series
that are currently being built in Italy. They have a cheaper line of saws
that IIRC are built in Bulgaria and while not as robust as the HD series are
probably better and more closely priced to the brands that I listed above.

I had an older Craftsman 12" 1/2 hp for about 22 years. I thought I was
stepping up when going to the very much praised 18" Rikon. What I got was a
heavy saw that was a PIA to keep adjusted properly. The Laguna out of the
box stays adjusted and needs darn little tweaking with blade changes. Upper
wheel tilt needs to be adjusted "a little" when going from a 1/4" blade to a
1" blade. Because the frame and components are so ridged there is little if
any flex when adding tension for larger blades. The Laguna comes with a
rather unique set of 10 contact point ceramic guides that have 2 on each
side contact points on the upper and lower guides and 1 thrust guide on
upper and lower guides. The lower guides can be raised and lowered much
like the top guides. This makes adjusting the bottom guides during a blade
change much easier and faster. My saw, the smallest of the HD series came
with a 4.5 hp Baldor motor and has 16" resaw capacity. Regardless of brand
blade, generic, Laguna or Timberwolf the blades track perfectly with no
vibration of front to back wobble. This was not so with the Rikon.
I guess to compare the HD series Laguna to the usual group of saws in the
"half that price" price range, is like comparing a bench top TS to a Cabinet
Saw.

Laguna's closest competition would probably be the MiniMax line of saws. I
was about 50/50 on preference between the Laguna and the MiniMax when
shopping for a replacement of the Rikon.
MiniMax USA is now based in Austin, TX, I live in Houston, TX. I could have
saved at least a couple of hundred dollars by picking up the saw in Austin
my self over paying Laguna to ship from California.
Both saws are priced close enough that price should not be a determining
factor between the 2. IIRC I was looking at the MM16 MiniMax. I made an
appointment to see the MiniMax and that appointment was confirmed before my
wife and I made the trip to see it. When we got there they only had 1 saw
with missing parts to show me. I saw the MiniMax saws 2 weeks later at the
WW show in Houston and 2 were broken.

I do not doubt for a minute that the MiniMax is as good as the Laguna
however the Laguna people delivered as promised and they always had
equipment that in working condition.

After using the Laguna for 1 year now I would not consider a lesser saw and
would not hesitate to buy the Laguna again if that need ever came up again.

Rating its bargain/value, I put a lot of value on a tool that works like it
is suppose to work with little adjustment. I simply tension the blade
before using, turn it, on and cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

t...

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you.

The hassle free factor is certainly a consideration. I wonder if that is a
factor in the other bandsaw designs? Or is it just costly to produce a
bandsaw that works well?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Thank you.

The hassle free factor is certainly a consideration. I wonder if that is
a factor in the other bandsaw designs? Or is it just costly to produce a
bandsaw that works well?

I was done with "hassle" when I got rid of the Craftsman. Better components
are part of it and the fact that most of the cheaper models come from the
far East and labor is cheaper. As an example the ceramic guides and holders
on the Laguna are obviously heavier duty and probably more expensive to
produce.

The picture at the top of this page shows the guides.
http://www.lagunatools.com/index.asp...ProdID=16&HS=1

The bearings on the wheels are whisper quiet and the wheels have a lot more
mass to them by comparison. IIRC my 16" BS weighs in at 465 lbs. The motor
is certainly a better brand than most.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 4, 10:35 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

t...

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

Hi, Lee -

Leon has an axe to grind.

The Rikon is a fine tool. If pressed, it turns out that the only real
complaint he had was that the roller guides build up pitch with green
pine. And that he couldn't get the blade tracking consistently.

For the first issue: many saws come with roller guides. So this is
not an issue with the Rikon per se. And you mention dried oak, not
wet pine. Not an issue with the Rikon or roller bearings either.

For the second issue: no one else (nor me) has chimed in to say they
have tracking issues with the Rikon. Mine worked like a champ outta
the box.

Leon will bad-mouth the Rikon til the cows come home cuz he had a bad
experience. But I would be confident that you would have a positive
experience if you chose to purchase the Rikon, as well as many other
fine bandsaws.

My $0.02. And watch Leon's response when he reads this. It is almost
as if he has a financial stake in it somewhere as well as being
totally ****ed off.

D'ohBoy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 11:03:32 -0700, wrote:

Leon has an axe to grind.

Such a response makes one wonder......

Markem
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 4, 1:19 pm, Markem wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 11:03:32 -0700, wrote:
Leon has an axe to grind.

Such a response makes one wonder......

Markem
(sixoneeight) = 618

Ummm... I have no issue other than that Leon seems to be unnecessarily
biased against the Rikon.

Whenever the Rikon is mentioned, he is all over it with the same two
issues...

But no one backs him up. No one chimes in.

Why is that? I just want to make sure people put his comments into
perspective... and so they look into them further and ask additional
questions.

Like why was it the tool of the year in 2005 if it is such a POS?
What are Leon's real issues with the Rikon?

D'ohBoy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 11:53:43 -0700, wrote:

What are Leon's real issues with the Rikon?

Ah conspiracy theories must certainly abound....

::tongue --- cheek::

Markem
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

[...]

Everybody has their preferences. Many of us settle for what we can afford
or buy locally.

I personally drive some folks nuts on my specifications for computer
hardware. Because the technical demands needed for the applications I use,
almost nothing is good enough. I always got my computers custom built
locally. The last one was a disaster and I will be going out of state for
any new hardware in the future. And I will be going to a specialist too.

I can go on about other things as well. I understand that Leon had to do
what he felt was the best solution for him. I don't think it is because of
any particular agenda. Just what worked out for him. I can relate. I have
done similar things. Just not with bandsaws. And I probably will never own a
Laguna.

But I find Leon's words helpful for two reasons. I get to peer at some nice
machinery through somebody else's eyes. That is pleasureable in and of
itself. But I also get to observe something of his internal process as he
goes out and buys/uses a very nice piece of machinery.

And any of us who have high standards often have to agonize over decisions
to purchase something that simply costs more than we can easily afford. And
we go through a process where we validate the reasons and make a decision to
pay more because we get more. Ultimately the needs require the more
expensive hardware.

I personally find it inspirational that there are some folks here who have
this kind of attitude. I don't feel so alone in the world when I am working
on a hardware intensive problem. (This is in other areas besides computers
or woodworking)

No axe to grind here. Unless it is a rilly, rilly nice axe that needs a good
edge. ;-)

Lee Michaels

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi, Lee -

Leon has an axe to grind.

No, just telling it like it is. A good starter saw.

The Rikon is a fine tool. If pressed, it turns out that the only real
complaint he had was that the roller guides build up pitch with green
pine. And that he couldn't get the blade tracking consistently.

That would be green Oak. I have no green Pine nor have had any reason to
cut Green pine.

For the first issue: many saws come with roller guides. So this is
not an issue with the Rikon per se. And you mention dried oak, not
wet pine. Not an issue with the Rikon or roller bearings either.

For the second issue: no one else (nor me) has chimed in to say they
have tracking issues with the Rikon. Mine worked like a champ outta
the box.

Ummm you might want to Google a bit farther back. I was not the only one
with the complaint and even Rikon ad mitted to the problem.

Leon will bad-mouth the Rikon til the cows come home cuz he had a bad
experience. But I would be confident that you would have a positive
experience if you chose to purchase the Rikon, as well as many other
fine bandsaws.

I have not and do not bad mouth the Rikon. Where exactly did I bad mouth
it. If you like your Rikon FINE!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...

Like why was it the tool of the year in 2005 if it is such a POS?
What are Leon's real issues with the Rikon?

YOU sir are the only one so far that has associated the Rikon with a POS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 4, 6:58 pm, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Like why was it the tool of the year in 2005 if it is such a POS?
What are Leon's real issues with the Rikon?

YOU sir are the only one so far that has associated the Rikon with a POS.

I find it interesting that the ancient 12" Craftsman has been
mentioned in this discussion. I consider it to be one of the best
bargains in the history of power tool making. I've had mine since 1973
when I bought it new for $70. Hubby added an old lawnmower motor (1/3
HP), I built a sturdy base for it, and I've been using it ever since.
I also have a Jet 14" that I like for ripping and big stuff, but I use
the smaller saw 95% of the time. I'm usually making hairpin turns in
6" of hard maple and the saw has never let me down. Of course the
better/newer the blade is the better off we are.
One thing that was not stressed to Henry was that if he is going to be
doing log ripping on a regular basis then a larger saw would be better
for him than a 14". You CAN rip logs on a 14" machine (again,
depending on the condition of your blade), but it is a lot easier on
an 18" band saw.
Larry, I worked full-time for Woodcraft for 6 years, until 3 years
ago. Great place to work isn't it? That is where I bought just about
every woodworking tool I own- and I have a shop full. So I was pre-
Rikon and pre-Festool. Feeling less 'in the know' than I once did.
Anyhow, my walnut laminations for my lap harp are dry now and I'll get
to start to cut them into their components today- using my antique
craftsman. Love that baby. . . Donna Menke, author of The Ultimate
Band Saw Box Book, www.woodworks-by-donna.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to all
Donna i dont think I will be cutting logs on a regular bases and think
14" should be fine, otherwise agree that bigger would be better. Some
resawing logs,some veneer cutting, some bowl blanks, some bandsaw
boxes, some cabriole legs and general furniture stuff. Larrry the LOG
Jig you gave a link for looks great and I will build one thankyou.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've read this thread with interest and got a few chuckles out of it.

A few weeks ago I asked a similar question with the proviso that cost
was not a barrier, just was the good stuff worth it. Leon, among
others, essentially said if you can afford it, go for it (Laguna, that
is).

The purchase conversations were a hoot! I hit the end of one sale and
overlapped the beginning of the next. The salesman and I were looking
at different info and prices - convoluted at best. That being said,
the LT 16 HD hit my garage about 3 weeks ago. A buddy helped hold
pieces while I put the thing together. Their video actually shows how
to do it, and it goes together the way the video says! Amazing! 1.5
hours from off the truck to sawdust flying.

As Leon will say, out of the box it just hums and cuts like billy be
damned. I hadn't used a bandsaw since high school shop class (remember
those?) and had never adjusted anyhting on one. Between the Laguna
video and the Band Saw Book (it's good) I had no issues.

So, if you're lazy, uneducated, impatient, rich or any combination of
the above, the Laguna is, IMHO, worth it. The dis-value of hassles is
yours to determine. My tolerance for such is low.

Regards.

Tom

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:17:43 -0700, henry wrote:

I am about to purchase a 14" delux Rikon band saw for $750 unless some
one suggest a better saw or price. Besides general furniture making
stuff i would like to Resaw some Oak tree that I cut late winter.
Whats the best method to cut a 48" x 12" logs into 4/4 and 8/4 and
12/4. I will set the bandsaw up next to a work bench for the out feed
side and fiqure something out for the infeed side. Now the logs are
full lenght. Oak is my least favorite furniture wood but thats what I
have. I have never resawd so recommendations on blades, is a cradle
needed ?, cut now or let logs dry some after end sealing?,pith issues.
Suggested web site on resawing?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom B" wrote

[...]

Good on ya Tom. It boils down to what works for you. You asked for imput
and used it to make a decision. Just be advised that some folks find that a
little suspicious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 5:08 pm, Tom B wrote:
[...]

Laguna will send you a couple of DVDs about their saws if you just
request them. They are boring as heck, but show how and why the saws
are so good. Its like the Forest WW blades- and the Timberwolf blades-
and Norton sandpaper- some thing are just better, and you can have
them if you want them- and want to spend more money to have them. Donna

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Donna" wrote in message
ps.com...

Laguna will send you a couple of DVDs about their saws if you just
request them. They are boring as heck,

THEY ARE NOT! I have rewatched mine several times for the actor's talent
value. ;~)
Actually this DVD pretty much covered every thing that I was disapointed in
with my previous band saw purchase. Fortunately, buying sight unseen and
with Woodcraft's generous return policy I was told to bring the saw back for
a refund if I was not happy with it. I did.

Actually, MiniMax has a demo DVD also although I think the Laguna is better
for educational value.

IIRC the Laguna Band Saw DVD also has a very very very good demo of their
Knapp combination machine. Boy o boy if only money and space were not a
factor.... LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norton sandpaper - not Mirka Gold? I had thought that Mirks was the
gold standard.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:33:17 -0000, Donna wrote:
SNIP

and Norton sandpaper- some thing are just better, and you can have
them if you want them- and want to spend more money to have them. Donna

Posted to rec.woodworking

The advice was vetted by other input, but yeah, it is a bit scary.
I've already said I'm a lazy sot - let others do the research, double
check their findings with other sources, then take advantage of them.
Works for me in business and hobbies. That's why I shoot Colts or
Wilsons in pistols, Sauers or Sakos or Kimbers in rifles and Krieghofs
or Berrettas in shotguns. They're best of breed, never lose their
value, and just flat work. Sort of like a Disston #10.

:~

Tom

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 22:07:22 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Good on ya Tom. It boils down to what works for you. You asked for imput
and used it to make a decision. Just be advised that some folks find that a
little suspicious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom B" wrote in message
Norton sandpaper - not Mirka Gold? I had thought that Mirks was the
gold standard.

I don't know how they compare but 3M had the Gold in the 80's. Having
worked for an automotive 3M distributor I got all of my PSA sanding disks
for free. I have yet to find a brand that has a decent adhesive other than
3M. I have never tried Norton or Mirka but having recently run out of my
vast supply of 3M I did try Klingspor and it was terrible to remove until it
sat up and got old. LOL I never could understand why most everyone
objected to PSA paper until I tried Klingspor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom B wrote:

They're best of breed, never lose their
value, and just flat work. Sort of like a Disston #10.

But an Atkins "Silver Steel" saw outperforms a Disston any day - and doesn't
rust!

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 1:01 pm, Tom B wrote:
Norton sandpaper - not Mirka Gold? I had thought that Mirks was the
gold standard.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:33:17 -0000, Donna wrote:

SNIP

and Norton sandpaper- some thing are just better, and you can have
them if you want them- and want to spend more money to have them. Donna

Tom- I've never heard of the Mirka Gold. If I run across them I'll
give them a try. I've used Norton papers for 30 years or more and they
outperform anything else I've ever tried. Of course, I like their
pretty colors too- being female and all. . .lol. Donna

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Donna wrote:
On Jun 6, 1:01 pm, Tom B wrote:
Norton sandpaper - not Mirka Gold? I had thought that Mirks was the
gold standard.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:33:17 -0000, Donna wrote:

SNIP

and Norton sandpaper- some thing are just better, and you can have
them if you want them- and want to spend more money to have them. Donna

Tom- I've never heard of the Mirka Gold. If I run across them I'll
give them a try. I've used Norton papers for 30 years or more and they
outperform anything else I've ever tried. Of course, I like their
pretty colors too- being female and all. . .lol. Donna

Mirka is Amazon's primary paper...will agree it is good. Personally, I
still think Klingspor is a "best buy"...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Donna wrote:
On Jun 6, 1:01 pm, Tom B wrote:
Norton sandpaper - not Mirka Gold? I had thought that Mirks was the
gold standard.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:33:17 -0000, Donna wrote:

SNIP

and Norton sandpaper- some thing are just better, and you can have
them if you want them- and want to spend more money to have them. Donna

Tom- I've never heard of the Mirka Gold. If I run across them I'll
give them a try. I've used Norton papers for 30 years or more and they
outperform anything else I've ever tried. Of course, I like their
pretty colors too- being female and all. . .lol. Donna

Mirka is Amazon's primary paper...will agree it is good. Personally, I
still think Klingspor is a "best buy"...

--

Mirka, Norton, and 3M were the big 3, 20 plus years ago in the automotive
fields.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Donna wrote:
On Jun 6, 1:01 pm, Tom B wrote:
Norton sandpaper - not Mirka Gold? I had thought that Mirks was the
gold standard.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:33:17 -0000, Donna wrote:

SNIP

and Norton sandpaper- some thing are just better, and you can have
them if you want them- and want to spend more money to have them. Donna
Tom- I've never heard of the Mirka Gold. If I run across them I'll
give them a try. I've used Norton papers for 30 years or more and they
outperform anything else I've ever tried. Of course, I like their
pretty colors too- being female and all. . .lol. Donna

Mirka is Amazon's primary paper...will agree it is good. Personally, I
still think Klingspor is a "best buy"...

--

Mirka, Norton, and 3M were the big 3, 20 plus years ago in the automotive
fields.

Yes, I was just pointing out that Amazon now is a large distributor of
the Mirka product line for woodworking...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Yes, I was just pointing out that Amazon now is a large distributor of the
Mirka product line for woodworking...

--

Sorry, I did not mean that to come out as derogatory to your comment as
rather to point out to Donna that those three and the Mirka Gold have been

Posted to rec.woodworking

Donna:

A search on Amazon.com for Mirka (sorry about the misspelling in my
earlier) will give you a bunch of results. I've used it with success.
It seems to load up less than Norton on some woods (Cherry, Ipe) and
the backing is, IMO, a bit stronger. In any case, even with shipping,
it's a bit cheaper than Norton at the Borgs.

Regards.