Posted to rec.woodworking
Donna Donna is offline

Default Bandsaw and resawing

On Jun 5, 5:08 pm, Tom B wrote:
I've read this thread with interest and got a few chuckles out of it.

A few weeks ago I asked a similar question with the proviso that cost
was not a barrier, just was the good stuff worth it. Leon, among
others, essentially said if you can afford it, go for it (Laguna, that
is).

The purchase conversations were a hoot! I hit the end of one sale and
overlapped the beginning of the next. The salesman and I were looking
at different info and prices - convoluted at best. That being said,
the LT 16 HD hit my garage about 3 weeks ago. A buddy helped hold
pieces while I put the thing together. Their video actually shows how
to do it, and it goes together the way the video says! Amazing! 1.5
hours from off the truck to sawdust flying.

As Leon will say, out of the box it just hums and cuts like billy be
damned. I hadn't used a bandsaw since high school shop class (remember
those?) and had never adjusted anyhting on one. Between the Laguna
video and the Band Saw Book (it's good) I had no issues.

So, if you're lazy, uneducated, impatient, rich or any combination of
the above, the Laguna is, IMHO, worth it. The dis-value of hassles is
yours to determine. My tolerance for such is low.

Regards.

Tom

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:17:43 -0700, henry wrote:
I am about to purchase a 14" delux Rikon band saw for $750 unless some
one suggest a better saw or price. Besides general furniture making
stuff i would like to Resaw some Oak tree that I cut late winter.
Whats the best method to cut a 48" x 12" logs into 4/4 and 8/4 and
12/4. I will set the bandsaw up next to a work bench for the out feed
side and fiqure something out for the infeed side. Now the logs are
full lenght. Oak is my least favorite furniture wood but thats what I
have. I have never resawd so recommendations on blades, is a cradle
needed ?, cut now or let logs dry some after end sealing?,pith issues.
Suggested web site on resawing?

Laguna will send you a couple of DVDs about their saws if you just
request them. They are boring as heck, but show how and why the saws
are so good. Its like the Forest WW blades- and the Timberwolf blades-
and Norton sandpaper- some thing are just better, and you can have
them if you want them- and want to spend more money to have them. Donna