Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw and resawing

henry wrote:

I am about to purchase a 14" delux Rikon band saw for $750 unless some
one suggest a better saw or price. Besides general furniture making
stuff i would like to Resaw some Oak tree that I cut late winter.
Whats the best method to cut a 48" x 12" logs into 4/4 and 8/4 and
12/4. I will set the bandsaw up next to a work bench for the out feed
side and fiqure something out for the infeed side. Now the logs are
full lenght. Oak is my least favorite furniture wood but thats what I
have. I have never resawd so recommendations on blades, is a cradle
needed ?, cut now or let logs dry some after end sealing?,pith issues.
Suggested web site on resawing?

AFAIK, there are 3 different ways to resaw logs.

One, just run it through manually, trying to keep the log from rolling in any
direction. It can be done, but it's a little nervewracking and can even
break blades.

Two, run the flattest side of the log over the jointer for a few passes, just
enough to create a flat an inch or so wide. Then resaw it. Much easier.

Third is to use a cradle. Take a look at:

http://www.beaverpondstudio.com/Log_Jig.html

--
It's turtles, all the way down