Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw resawing question

Well I could just experiment, but as there seems to be a vast amount
on knowledge and experience here.

I am going to resaw some of the walnut cut offs to make some boxes.

I have a Delta wood and metal cutting bandsaw, would using the gearing
and slower speed in the metal cutting mode be better? If so how many
fps should the saw be set at to start the experiment?

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markem" wrote in message
Well I could just experiment, but as there seems to be a vast amount
on knowledge and experience here.

I am going to resaw some of the walnut cut offs to make some boxes.

I have a Delta wood and metal cutting bandsaw, would using the gearing
and slower speed in the metal cutting mode be better? If so how many
fps should the saw be set at to start the experiment?

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

The slower speed certainly would result in slower cutting. I would go with
the fastest and or around 3000 fpm.

Posted to rec.woodworking
g g is offline

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:35:16 +0000, Leon wrote:

"Markem" wrote in message
Well I could just experiment, but as there seems to be a vast amount
on knowledge and experience here.

I am going to resaw some of the walnut cut offs to make some boxes.

I have a Delta wood and metal cutting bandsaw, would using the gearing
and slower speed in the metal cutting mode be better? If so how many
fps should the saw be set at to start the experiment?

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

The slower speed certainly would result in slower cutting. I would go with
the fastest and or around 3000 fpm.

Whats the advantage of the faster rate over the slower one? I'm a
a beginner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:35:16 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Markem" wrote in message
.. .

I am going to resaw some of the walnut cut offs to make some boxes.

I have a Delta wood and metal cutting bandsaw, would using the gearing
and slower speed in the metal cutting mode be better? If so how many
fps should the saw be set at to start the experiment?

The slower speed certainly would result in slower cutting. I would go with
the fastest and or around 3000 fpm.

Thanks Leon the experiment has gone well, I recently acquired a Wood
Slicer 1/2 inch blade. With the new spring, cool blocks taking time to
set it up. I even have a nice 1/16 inch piece of unintended veneer, as
well some nice 3/8 sides for a nested box setup.

It is the tools ain't it.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markem" wrote in message
Well I could just experiment, but as there seems to be a vast amount
on knowledge and experience here.

I am going to resaw some of the walnut cut offs to make some boxes.

I have a Delta wood and metal cutting bandsaw, would using the gearing
and slower speed in the metal cutting mode be better? If so how many
fps should the saw be set at to start the experiment?

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

The slower speed certainly would result in slower cutting. I would go with
the fastest and or around 3000 fpm.

Whats the advantage of the faster rate over the slower one? I'm a
a beginner.

Hopefully someone will answer that, but slower cutting speeds in the
metal cutting mode makes it easier to control the material. More
torque through gearing on my bandsaw. Fast though was the way to go,
thanks again Leon.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618