Denny

Default Bandsaw choice for resawing?

I'm looking for a bandsaw that will allow me to resaw my own veneers (1/8th
inch) from hardwoods like cherry, maple, and maybe some imports as well.
Ideally, I'd like to be able to work with 6 to 10 inch wide stock. I've
read lots of reviews, been to google, and I know there are expensive saws
($1000+) that can do it, but I'd like something less expensive that can
handle the work. None of the reviews I've seen seem very specific, so I'm
wondering if any of you with experience resawing veneers can tell me what
works and what doesn't. I'm not as concerned with speed as I am with
accuracy. For examples, I'm wondering if either the Grizzly G0555 or the
Delta 28-206 are up to the task?
Thanks,
Denny

Swingman

"Denny" wrote in message
I'm looking for a bandsaw that will allow me to resaw my own veneers

(1/8th
inch) from hardwoods like cherry, maple, and maybe some imports as well.
Ideally, I'd like to be able to work with 6 to 10 inch wide stock. I've
read lots of reviews, been to google, and I know there are expensive saws
($1000+) that can do it, but I'd like something less expensive that can
handle the work. None of the reviews I've seen seem very specific, so I'm
wondering if any of you with experience resawing veneers can tell me what
works and what doesn't. I'm not as concerned with speed as I am with
accuracy. For examples, I'm wondering if either the Grizzly G0555 or the
Delta 28-206 are up to the task?

With the "profit point" engineering on current band saw models, IMO your
best bet is to find an older machine. Were I in the market today for a 14"
bandsaw, I would try hard to find a used Delta 28-299.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

DarylRos

For examples, I'm wondering if either the Grizzly G0555 or the
Delta 28-206 are up to the task?

Theoretically yes. For those saws, get a Woodslicer blade, and you will ahve to
go slowly.

In the end, it's like using a Sears benchtop tablesaw over a Powermatic 66 or
Unisaw. While they do the same job, some do it faster, or with greater
accuracy.

You basically want to take some very deep cuts from a hardwood and expect them
to come out reasonably smooth, with little deflection.

The bigger bandsaws exist for that sole purpose; they allow you to adjust the
tension properly for such heavy duty cutting (and resawing something 10" high
is very major duty). If that is what you want to do on a regular basis, then
you really want the MiniMax/Laguna/Agazzani type saw. Because if you are doing
a lot of this type of cutting, you want the Lennox Carbide blade, and the
25,000 psi of tension the blades require (and the high end Delta 14" bandsaw
will give you about 14,000 psi if you use the Iturra kit to increase tension).

You might not save money, since you will probably produce a lot of veneer that
will belong on the scrap heap, if you do a lot.
GerryG

Your "scrap heap" is a bit black and white, and I don't feel that's really the
case. I guess my first questions would be the quantity he expects to cut each
year, and the additional processing and use. If it's a lot of linear feet, and
if he needs the best finish coming off the BS, then I'd agree with your
recommendations. Except I'd add a feeder, as the constant feed itself gives a
better finish, not to mention the reduced labor.

However, for a few projects/year, and if a limited budget, the Delta, Jet or
Grizzly will work. The Woodslicer blade another fellow recommended will do
well. What is also needed with a BS of this class, however, is perhaps a bit
more knowledge of how to properly adjust, tune and use the BS. IOW, the
lighter, cheaper BS's will need more adjustment.
GerryG