Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The reason for Home Depot Plywood Lack of Quality

Robatoy wrote:
How different the aftermath of Katrina would have been had there been
a pile of rublle to stand on top of...with a bull-horn.
The image of minorities paddling for dear life makes for lousy photo-
ops.

What would be different? Why would a hurricane or flood care what race it
chose for victims? While major media did play the race card facts pretty
much didn't support it...death counts certainly didn't .....in fact much of
the initial wildly exaggerated claims for 10,000 or more dead and many of
the horror stories from the shelters were all bull**** as well.... but when
honest accountability gets in the way of a dramatic story why wreck it? The
initial system failure was all local including the re-elected black mayor.
That some hospitals or nursing homes were not evacuated is certainly of
local responsibility. That thousands choose to ignore the warnings and did
not leave rests solely with the individual as well. Further since the city
had a black majority and white deaths were not proportionate to their
population one might claim some white discrimination.

The FEDs are not ever first responders, nor constitutionally can they be, at
least if it involves the military.

Best case scenario ....when a city of a half of million, has nearly 80%
housing stock flooded.... realistically what could anyone do logistically
that would have made much difference in that first week or so that wasn't
done?......It does beg the question of why anyone thinks a major disaster is
painless and a not inconvenient. Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
New Orleans is manageable with the right funding and engineering
knowledge, being heavily populated by blacks doesn't help secure the
right funding though, if it were somewhere "paler" then you could
guarantee the money would be provided.

What is with this steady race drumbeat?.......The state is only 1/3
minority...does this mean that the 2/3 white population is somehow deprived
racially as well?

Incidentally Louisiana earns a billion and half annually from Gulf
oil/natural gas royalties, maybe some of that windfall should be put to
proper use. Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

I don't see how you can accuse the federal government of
incompetence.

Let me spell it out for you: BUSH

He has proven to be unqualified as well as arrogant, and has
surrounded himself with like kind.

The systematic dismantling of gov't seems to be their only objective
and they are doing a pretty good job of it.

The wealthy get wealthier, the poor get poorer, and the middle class
gets screwed.

Ain't life grand?

Lew

And yet in your rant in spite of Bush's grave incompetence you failed to
provide a single fact.......Reality a bit hard for you? Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

"todd" wrote in message
. ..
Guess the military got some benefit; however, with out the interstate
system, where would we be today?

Did the US make a good infrastructure investment?

You tell me.

I can't tell you - it's a question of opinion. An improved railway
system
would have been a possible good alternative or addition.

Enough with the railway system talk. Railways make great sense in densely
populated areas. Eurpoe and Japan come to mind. If we had Europe's
population density, we'd have over a billion people in the US. Christ, if
we had Japan's density, we'd have over 3 billion people. When we reach a
billion people or so, I imagine an interstate rail system will make a lot
more sense. I live near Chicago, and the regional commuter railway system
is pretty good, as long as you're going to/from the city. The east and to
a lesser extent the west coast are good places to have passenger rail.
Other than that, there isn't much point right now to have it anywhere else
besides a few places.

Problem was that the railroads were privately owned. We weren't so keen on
capitalizing them, because the same sort of talk about corporate welfare and
being in the pocket of big corporations would have begun ad nauseam. They
were occupied trying to get the firemen off the diesels at the time.

Without eminent domain the highways would be impossible, much less railroad
rights of way. Though we can take for purposes of economic development now,
right? Then there's the demand to get them all off of street level anyway so
that motorists who can't wait or like to challenge trains won't get hurt.
Think of the liability insurance, the toxic spills, the horror....

I remember the Chicago, South Shore and South Bend as quite a ride. Still
there?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:XEO6i.16122$j63.4423
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Han wrote:

Have you driven through Connecticut lately?

To perhaps give you a different perspective on the difference between
East coast and SoCal transit, consider the following:

Since you live in Fairlawn, NJ, a question.

How long would it take you to travel between Fairlawn and New Haven, CT
to say attend classes at Yale?

For many in SoCal, that would be a fairly typical length of commute.

Lew

That would be 1 1/2 to 2 hrs each way. Of course there might be classes at
Cornell Medical School, Columbia university, New York University or a dozen
other universities which would be acceptable for me and closer by.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

todd wrote:

| Maybe it's been a long time since you made that trip. It's
| currently a 20-hour train ride from Chicago to NY. If you have a
| "roomette", it runs $482 one way. I have family in San Antonio, TX.
| I've looked into taking the train with my wife and our 2 little
| ones. It would take 32+ hours and cost about $1600 round trip with
| the "family bedroom". I can fly for about half that. I wouldn't
| mind the time so much, but I can't pay double just for the pleasure.

It has been quite a while. I don't remember what the fare was - but am
reasonably certain it was a _lot_ less than $482 :-)

Coincidentally, my last domestic train trip was to Killeen, Texas from
Fayetteville, North Carolina. Definitely a different level of comfort
on a troop train - but it'd be difficult to beat the fare...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 8:29�am, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
todd wrote:

| Maybe it's been a long time since you made that trip. *It's
| currently a 20-hour train ride from Chicago to NY. *If you have a
| "roomette", it runs $482 one way. I have family in San Antonio, TX.
| I've looked into taking the train with my wife and our 2 little
| ones. *It would take 32+ hours and cost about $1600 round trip with
| the "family bedroom". *I can fly for about half that. *I wouldn't
| mind the time so much, but I can't pay double just for the pleasure.

It has been quite a while. I don't remember what the fare was - but am
reasonably certain it was a _lot_ less than $482 :-)

Coincidentally, my last domestic train trip was to Killeen, Texas from
Fayetteville, North Carolina. Definitely a different level of comfort
on a troop train - but it'd be difficult to beat the fare...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

I dunno, Morris. With what the USMC paid me, the time lost was a big
cost. IMS, I got $78 a month when I got to Parris Island. Long time
ago, but it didn't go far even then.

One of my uncles bitched that he made about that as a tech sgt. in the
S. Pacific during WWII. True? I dunno. He wasn't much of a BS artist.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 1:14�am, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Han wrote:

* Have you driven through Connecticut lately?

To perhaps give you a different perspective on the difference between
East coast and SoCal transit, consider the following:

Since you live in Fairlawn, NJ, a question.

How long would it take you to travel between Fairlawn and New Haven, CT
to say attend classes at Yale?

For many in SoCal, that would be a fairly typical length of commute.

Lew

Yeah, Lew, but you wouldn't do it. Go to Rutgers or Princeton instead,
or even NYU or Columbia. COmmuting that distance in the east is
nuts...there are simply too many alternatives.

I used to commute from Amawalk, NY (northern Westchester County) to
Manhattan when I worked in a downtown ad agency--William St. That
didn't last too long. It blew something close to five hours a day, and
at 23, I had other uses for that five hours. I simply moved into
Manhattan (admittedly, probably not a solution today, especially if
you're making a munificent $85 a week). Single room, with bath but no
cooking facilities, $13 a week.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 5:31�am, "Rod & Betty Jo" wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

I don't see how you can accuse the federal government of
incompetence.

Let me spell it out for you: BUSH

He has proven to be unqualified as well as arrogant, and has
surrounded himself with like kind.

The systematic dismantling of gov't seems to be their only objective
and they are doing a pretty good job of it.

The wealthy get wealthier, the poor get poorer, and the middle class
gets screwed.

Ain't life grand?

Lew

And yet in your rant in spite of Bush's grave incompetence you failed to
provide a single fact.......Reality a bit hard for you? *Rod- Hide quoted text -

Actually, he probably figured everyone read the dialy newspapers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:

Single room, with bath but no
cooking facilities, $13 a week.

This was during the Depression????

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 9:46 am, Charlie Self wrote:

Actually, he probably figured everyone read the dialy newspapers

Thank the heavens above we can all trust the press, eh?
Where would we be without their bright light of truth...

Here's a great example of the press in action during Katrina:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/39162/south_park_katrina/

And for anyone that actually watches it, yes, I know, it's a cartoon.
But it confused me for a while as I couldn't tell it from the
jackasses in the regular press.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 May 2007 20:41:35 GMT, Han wrote:

Well, half or so of the Netherlands is below sea level. Yes it gives
problems, but that's why they have engineers. Most of the time it works
very well. Sometimes it doesn't (January 1953 was bad), and a new "plan"
is instituted. Somewhere there is a lesson or two in that experience for
New Orleans.

Most of the Netherlands doesn't have a choice, there's nowhere else to
build. New Orleans does. It's moronic to rebuild somewhere that has
constant problems, as New Orleans always has, when you can build it
somewhere else without those problems.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 May 2007 23:42:18 +0100, Mike
wrote:

But just wait until the huge landslip occurs at Cumbre Vieja on La
Palma in the Canary Islands. Above sea level or not the entire
eastern seaboard will be under water much deeper (as in about half a
MILE deeper) than New Orleans ever was.

Them mega-tsunamis are fun, huh? But at least they don't happen every
year like hurricane season.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 May 2007 18:26:23 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Oh puhleeze! The fact is that money was provided to the city of NOLA in
years past. Rampant corruption funneled a significant amount of that money
away from the levee projects that were to be reinforced.

Exactly, but it's easier to point fingers and claim racism than to
deal with the fact that they were given the money to fix the levees
time and time again and they squandered it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah, Lew, but you wouldn't do it. Go to Rutgers or Princeton instead,
or even NYU or Columbia. COmmuting that distance in the east is
nuts...there are simply too many alternatives.

I had almost forgotten that part of east coast culture.

"Commute" is a word in a foreign language they do not understand.

Of course with the east coat highway system, it is understandable.

30 years ago, The Garden State looked like a page straight out of the
Monopoly game. If it were ever to come up to current standards, a
complete rebuild would be necessary.

Still remember a trip up the NJ Pike AKA: Parking lot.

Sunday night, 5:00PM, just another weekend, hit the NJ Pike from the
PA Pike and come to a complete stop.

3-4 hours of stop & go later, the Holland Tunnel.

Definitely not a winner.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike" wrote in message

New Orleans is manageable with the right funding and engineering
knowledge, being heavily populated by blacks doesn't help secure the
right funding though, if it were somewhere "paler" then you could
guarantee the money would be provided.

I believe that NO would be managable with the right management. IIRC a lot
of money that should have gone into securing the city went into polititions
pockets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...

Actually, he probably figured everyone read the dialy newspapers.

Yeah, no Bias there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 29, 9:46 am, Charlie Self wrote:

Actually, he probably figured everyone read the dialy newspapers

Thank the heavens above we can all trust the press, eh?
Where would we be without their bright light of truth...

Here's a great example of the press in action during Katrina:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/39162/south_park_katrina/

And for anyone that actually watches it, yes, I know, it's a cartoon.
But it confused me for a while as I couldn't tell it from the
jackasses in the regular press.

Robert

Cartoon caracters, but actually how it play out.
Having been through a disaster like that, the people themselves have to take
responsibility in helping them selves. Fema could have been there moments
after the storm and there would still would have been the devestation and
the people with out homes. It was a natural disaster of epic proportions.
Not a whole lot was reported about the winds of the storm which was the
really dangerous part. More was reported on the water after the storm. Too
bad the mayor let the school buses sit and be flooded. Before hand planing
and prefaration was the real problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 30, 9:55 am, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Billions were spent to be prepared for an eventuality like that. Which
pockets it all ended up in nobody knows....lemme guess...General
Dynamics? Raytheon? Lockheed?..surely some defense contractor must
have made some money off the fear of the ordinary citizens?
Scared of the weather? We'll just create an agency just for you. We'll
take your tax dollars and line the pockets of a whole whack of
appointees and then then when the **** hits the fan, we'll find a high-
profile scapegoat.
And remember boys and girls, don't forget to be scared of:

(select as many as you want)

mushroom clouds
poisoned gas
hurricanes
floods
ragheads
anti-semites
global warming
exploding dust collectors
mysterious white powders
softwood lumber subsidies
mad cows (aka Hillary)
aliens
tidal waves
foreign languages
culture
good manners
people who are nice
truth.

We have the people in place to help!
(okay, they might be a little busy overseas right now, and the
remnants on the home-front are a bit short of leadership)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Billions were spent to be prepared for an eventuality like that. Which
pockets it all ended up in nobody knows....lemme guess...General
Dynamics? Raytheon? Lockheed?..surely some defense contractor must
have made some money off the fear of the ordinary citizens?
Scared of the weather? We'll just create an agency just for you. We'll
take your tax dollars and line the pockets of a whole whack of
appointees and then then when the **** hits the fan, we'll find a high-
profile scapegoat.

The real crying shame is the fact that assistance was offered before the
storm to help prevent this kind of human tragity from happening in the first
place. Get the people out before the flooding. But uh Oh noooo... said
the mayor and the govenor. We got it under control. And speaking of being
ready for the storm, I recall a reporter interviewing NO's head guy for
emergency management 2 days before the storm it. The reporter asked what
have you done to prepair for the storm? The answer was sweet and short. To
sum it up, nothing was done. The second question, are you ready? The
answer was something like, we hoped this would not happen on our watch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 28 May 2007 23:09:35 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

The systematic dismantling of gov't seems to be their only objective and
they are doing a pretty good job of it.

IF ONLY someone were doing a good job of dismantling the U.S.'
leviathan federal government back to within its Constitutional
boundaries.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

| Remember, the feds can't do much of anything unless asked by local
| functionaries. It's sad that the feds were hamstrung by the stunning
| incompetence of the local folk. For example, there were enough
| school busses to take a goodly portion of the people in the dome
| all the way to Houston (one "stolen" bus made the trip).

Lesson: Do not depend on competence of government.
Be prepared.

I'm an amateur radio operator. It's not just an interesting hobby -
there are associated responsibilities: provide communications in
emergency situations; provide communications equipment, on demand, to
the federal government; cease operations instantly when radio silence
is ordered, etc.

I inquired as to the need for communications volunteers in NO and was
told to stay away - that volunteers would just get in the way. I've
heard that other people volunteered to take boats, food, and just
about everything else you can imagine - and that they were told the
same thing.

Lesson: If volunteers are needed, just go. The command and control
crap can all be sorted out when the immediate needs have
been met. When lives are at stake, it's not about "who's in
charge."

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

| Having been through a disaster like that, the people themselves
| have to take responsibility in helping them selves. Fema could
| have been there moments after the storm and there would still would
| have been the devestation and the people with out homes. It was a
| natural disaster of epic proportions. Not a whole lot was reported
| about the winds of the storm which was the really dangerous part.
| More was reported on the water after the storm. Too bad the mayor
| let the school buses sit and be flooded. Before hand planing and
| prefaration was the real problem.

Lesson: Contingency planning is essential.
Lesson: A transportation plan is manditory.

Want to bet that they still haven't identified staging areas for
moving supplies in and people out next time around?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 30, 3:41 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:

Lesson: If volunteers are needed, just go. The command and control
crap can all be sorted out when the immediate needs have
been met. When lives are at stake, it's not about "who's in
charge."

A good friend of mine from Ft Pierce FL went immediatly after Katrina
to try to help out. He's personally been hit badly by hurricanes, and
felt the need to help.
On the second day, he was told, in the strongest terms, to go home,
"that things were under control"..they'd call him.
He had water, a couple of generators, some fuel, food, a couple of
walkies...

go figure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

| A good friend of mine from Ft Pierce FL went immediatly after
| Katrina to try to help out. He's personally been hit badly by
| hurricanes, and felt the need to help.
| On the second day, he was told, in the strongest terms, to go home,
| "that things were under control"..they'd call him.
| He had water, a couple of generators, some fuel, food, a couple of
| walkies...

Lesson: An emergency is, almost by definition, a situation that
is not under sufficient control to protect lives and
property.

When you next speak with your friend, please pass along my
appreciation for his efforts. If I'd gone there - as I should have -
I'd have had need of his generator after the second day.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

| Having been through a disaster like that, the people themselves
| have to take responsibility in helping them selves. Fema could
| have been there moments after the storm and there would still would
| have been the devestation and the people with out homes. It was a
| natural disaster of epic proportions. Not a whole lot was reported
| about the winds of the storm which was the really dangerous part.
| More was reported on the water after the storm. Too bad the mayor
| let the school buses sit and be flooded. Before hand planing and
| prefaration was the real problem.

Lesson: Contingency planning is essential.
Lesson: A transportation plan is manditory.

Want to bet that they still haven't identified staging areas for
moving supplies in and people out next time around?

No doubt. I still recall seeing the aerial view of the "hundreds" of
school buses sitting under water that could have been used to evacuate.
More than enough to have emptied the Superdome so the Super Dome could have
remained empty and none of those people would have had to live in that mess.

Next time I bet they make sure the fuel tanks are empty before the storm to
guard against contamination when they flood again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

Lesson: An emergency is, almost by definition, a situation that
is not under sufficient control to protect lives and
property.

When you next speak with your friend, please pass along my
appreciation for his efforts. If I'd gone there - as I should have -
I'd have had need of his generator after the second day.

You may be thankful that you did not go. Those that went with tools and
equipment very often left broke and in debt. There were several interviews
with those that came to help, not because of the work that they were doing
but because of their stolen equipment. Tractor trailers and all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

| You may be thankful that you did not go. Those that went with
| tools and equipment very often left broke and in debt. There were
| several interviews with those that came to help, not because of
| the work that they were doing but because of their stolen
| equipment. Tractor trailers and all.

I'm not - and in fact I'm more than a little ashamed that I didn't
just load up and go anyway. There was (as in every disaster) a very
real need for communications. I'd already had enough experience with
tornado and flood operations to know that.

There's always a danger that equipment can "grow legs" and vanish, but
my entire station can (almost) easily tuck into a car trunk, and I've
discovered that "Danger - High Voltage" stickers work wonders as a
deterrent to the casual laying on of hands. :-)

FWIW, I've never had a piece of equipment stolen at an emergency
operation site - and I've never owned any that was more precious a
human. It was an acceptable risk.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

I'm not - and in fact I'm more than a little ashamed that I didn't
just load up and go anyway. There was (as in every disaster) a very
real need for communications. I'd already had enough experience with
tornado and flood operations to know that.

There's always a danger that equipment can "grow legs" and vanish, but
my entire station can (almost) easily tuck into a car trunk, and I've
discovered that "Danger - High Voltage" stickers work wonders as a
deterrent to the casual laying on of hands. :-)

FWIW, I've never had a piece of equipment stolen at an emergency
operation site - and I've never owned any that was more precious a
human. It was an acceptable risk.

Good for you Morris, your heart is in the right place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Oh puhleeze! The fact is that money was provided to the city of NOLA in
years past. Rampant corruption funneled a significant amount of that
money
away from the levee projects that were to be reinforced.

This had nothing to do with race, this had to do with people who were
expecting the government to solve all of their problems and local
politicians who couldn't find their @#$ with both hands and a map.

You are dead on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

Oh puhleeze! The fact is that money was provided to the city of

NOLA in
years past. Rampant corruption funneled a significant amount of that
money
away from the levee projects that were to be reinforced.

snip

Since long before Huey Long, Louisiana has been known for great food,
great music, and rampant corruption.

Fortunately, none of that has anything to do with the necessity of
saving human life in an emergency, a job which unfortunately fell to
FEMA, which had been systematically stripped of it's resources since 2000.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

| Fortunately, none of that has anything to do with the necessity of
| saving human life in an emergency, a job which unfortunately fell to
| FEMA, which had been systematically stripped of it's resources
| since 2000.

Before that, even. During the floods of '93 I spent several days as
the volunteer operator of the FEMA communications center in the Hoover
Federal Building in Des Moines. It was a particularly easy job since
there was zero traffic in and zero traffic out.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot Plywood Quality

Indeed, they often have good deals on odd lots plus have a very good
selection of regular stuff. My only complaint is that they are not
open on Sundays. I also haunt Mr. Plywood in NE Portland.

Bob the Tomato

If I recall your local to me (Vancouver area).....have you ever tried
Shurway(on St. Johns rd)?.....they have quite a selection of hardwood ply
(lots), hardwood lumber and other interesting odds and ends. Prices seem
competitive and even sometimes low. I haven't bought full sheets lately but
last fall they had stacks of 2ft by 4ft birch panels (less than $8.00 ea)
that worked great for a few small projects.....Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

just bought three sheets of 3/4" birch plywood and one sheet
of 1/2" birch plywood from my local Home Depot.
This has to be some of the worst plywood I have ever purchased!
the surface veneers are extremely thin
the chipout is absolutely horrible.
can sand through the veneer in less than 20 seconds

I finished sanding and staining my entertainment center yesterday, and I'm
happy to report it all worked out OK in the end. I managed to not sand
through the thin veneer in any place critical (I did expose the veneer in
one small spot on the back, but thankfully it won't normally be seen.).

The chipout that is still exposed (mostly on the ends of the shelves) is
barely visible once sanded and stained.

Thankfully, whatever the core ply's are made of, it seems to stain the same
color as the surface veneer. Both the chipouts and the exposed veneer on
the back almost disappear when the stain is applied. That was a huge
relief.

The plywood is also riddled with numerous voids.

Since all of the plywood edges are covered or hidden, this turned out to be
not much of an issue.

looks more like oak than birch. I double-checked the label, it says birch

I still think the 1/4 panel I bought is probably oak, but it seemed to
stain up the same color as the rest of the project. So unless someone goes
up and compares the grain pattern on the shelves, I don't think anyone will
ever know. If it bugs me too much, it would be easy to make a couple of new
shelves, but once the shelves have "stuff" on them, I doubt I'll even
notice what the grain is like.

So, today I'm going to start applying the finish coats of polyurethane.
That will probably take a few days to complete. I'll try to post some
pictures in the binaries newsgroup when I'm finished.

Take care,

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 9:51 am, HerHusband wrote:

So, today I'm going to start applying the finish coats of polyurethane. That will probably take a few days to complete. I'll try to post some
pictures in the binaries newsgroup when I'm finished.

Take care,

Anthony

Sounds like you got it licked. Good for you! I for one would like to
see your work and hope you post some pics.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 25, 1:49 pm, HerHusband wrote:
All the more reason to use solid wood instead of plywood.

It's hard to beat the cost and stability of plywood, and solid wood has
it's own share of issues. Warping, cupping, splitting, etc. I did buy a lot
of solid wood for trim, drawer fronts, etc. and it's not picture perfect
either.

Of course, then there's the issue of gluing up panels and the labor (and
goofs) involved with that.

Anthony

I buy solid wood and hardwoodplywoods at www.creativewoodworksusa.com
Birch is only $1.95 per foot and plywoods are around $35.They will
ship and it isn't as expensive as I thought it would be for shipping.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On May 25, 1:49 pm, HerHusband wrote:
All the more reason to use solid wood instead of plywood.

It's hard to beat the cost and stability of plywood, and solid wood has
it's own share of issues. Warping, cupping, splitting, etc. I did buy a lot
of solid wood for trim, drawer fronts, etc. and it's not picture perfect
either.

Of course, then there's the issue of gluing up panels and the labor (and
goofs) involved with that.

Anthony

I buy solid wood and hardwoodplywoods at
www.creativewoodworksusa.com
Birch is only $1.95 per foot and plywoods are around $35.They will
ship and it isn't as expensive as I thought it would be for shipping.

Your "testimonial" might have more credibility had you told us you were
the same Mike Williams who OWNS Creative Woodworks and that rather than
buying solid and plywood FROM them you buy it FOR the business and sell it.

Your posts aren't exactly truthful now, are they? They are, IMNSHO,
rather tacky.

BTW, fire your web designer (or hire one), for a commercial
establishment such as yours the site sucks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Say What? wrote:

wrote:

I buy solid wood and hardwoodplywoods at
www.creativewoodworksusa.com
Birch is only $1.95 per foot and plywoods are around $35.They will
ship and it isn't as expensive as I thought it would be for shipping.

Your "testimonial" might have more credibility had you told us you were
the same Mike Williams who OWNS Creative Woodworks and that rather than
buying solid and plywood FROM them you buy it FOR the business and sell it.

At least now I know a place NOT to buy from :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down