klaatu

Default Plywood at Home Depot question.

Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.
The veneer has good figure and would be OK for a cabinet carcase.
Problem is that they only have 2'X4' pieces, about $15.00 each.
It doesn't look like Baltic Birch, but I could be wrong on that.
Anybody know what this stuff is? Thanks.
Gary Davis

I'm not sure what it is either, but it is made by GP. I purchased about 5 -
2'x4' pieces about a year ago to use for jigs, it has been great. As good as
any Baltic Birch that I paid much more for.

Gary

"klaatu" wrote in message
Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.
The veneer has good figure and would be OK for a cabinet carcase.
Problem is that they only have 2'X4' pieces, about $15.00 each.
It doesn't look like Baltic Birch, but I could be wrong on that.
Anybody know what this stuff is? Thanks.

Ron

One of the HDs in my area carries Birch & Red Oak 3/4"x4'x8' panels for
about $40.
Also, 1/4" x 4'x8' for less than $20.

So ask about the larger sizes, they may surprise you and be able to get it.

Ron

"klaatu" wrote in message
Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.
The veneer has good figure and would be OK for a cabinet carcase.
Problem is that they only have 2'X4' pieces, about $15.00 each.
It doesn't look like Baltic Birch, but I could be wrong on that.
Anybody know what this stuff is? Thanks.

bry

Doesn't all plywood have odd plys?

Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.

klaatu

Ron, Good idea. All the 4'x8' Birch and Oak ply at the local HD is
only 6 (or 8?) ply and has lots of delams.
lOn Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:38:20 GMT, "Ron"
wrote:

One of the HDs in my area carries Birch & Red Oak 3/4"x4'x8' panels for
about $40.
Also, 1/4" x 4'x8' for less than $20.

So ask about the larger sizes, they may surprise you and be able to get it.

Ron

"klaatu" wrote in message
.. .
Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.
The veneer has good figure and would be OK for a cabinet carcase.
Problem is that they only have 2'X4' pieces, about $15.00 each.
It doesn't look like Baltic Birch, but I could be wrong on that.
Anybody know what this stuff is? Thanks.

klaatu

Gary, I did the same for TS fixtures. BTW, the stuff looks great with
an oil based finish. Requires very little sanding.

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:08:46 GMT, "Gary Davis"
wrote:

I'm not sure what it is either, but it is made by GP. I purchased about 5 -
2'x4' pieces about a year ago to use for jigs, it has been great. As good as
any Baltic Birch that I paid much more for.

Gary

"klaatu" wrote in message
.. .
Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.
The veneer has good figure and would be OK for a cabinet carcase.
Problem is that they only have 2'X4' pieces, about $15.00 each.
It doesn't look like Baltic Birch, but I could be wrong on that.
Anybody know what this stuff is? Thanks.

klaatu

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:19:42 -0500, "bry" wrote:

Doesn't all plywood have odd plys?

I thought so too until I counted again. Yes, 14 ply.
Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.

Frank Ketchum

"klaatu" wrote in message
Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.
The veneer has good figure and would be OK for a cabinet carcase.
Problem is that they only have 2'X4' pieces, about $15.00 each.
It doesn't look like Baltic Birch, but I could be wrong on that.
Anybody know what this stuff is? Thanks.

I have purchased birch faced plywood from the borg and used it for some shop
cabinets. I believe it was $40 for a 4x8 sheet. It is not cabinet grade,
meaning there will be some areas with voids. I also used it to build a
couple projects for the house and edged it with cherry. It looks nice with
an oil based polyuerethane finish on it.

I have also seen blondwood faced plywood at the borg but never tried it.

Frank

BRuce

I used some Oak ply from Lowes and never did find a void. edge banded
in oak and looked great.

I also have seen the blondewood but did not like the look of it. looked
too "coarse" to finish very well.

BRuce

--
---

BRuce

Gfretwell

I used some Oak ply from Lowes and never did find a void. edge banded
in oak and looked great.

Me too, just be careful with that sand paper. The "oak" is about 3 microns
thick and you can sand it off pretty easy

JMartin957

Doesn't all plywood have odd plys?

Should, but it doesn't always. With 14 pliess it really doesn't matter.

On the other hand, the 3/4" fir CD that I bought the other day - only 4 plies -
is real crap. The two center plies run in the 4' direction, and the two outer
plies in the long direction. Has a real nice curve to it.

John Martin
George

I got some of that 48x60 5-ply 1/4" stuff from a GP-wrapped stack at
Menards, only to find a cheap-looking purple stamp on some sheets with an
unmistakable Cyrillic "F-A" an abbreviation for factory (fabrika), and the
factory number. They used the same crummy ink and nomenclature on
everything during the Soviet days. I believe you may have Russian stuff
made on old Finnish equipment, sold by a US manufacturer. Or perhaps they
buy the veneers overseas and laminate here.

At any rate, the stuff was peeled white birch veneer, seems to display
pretty well, and is reasonably priced.

Interesting note - in Soviet days they not only stamped on manufacturer
information, but price, at the factory.

"klaatu" wrote in message
Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.
The veneer has good figure and would be OK for a cabinet carcase.
Problem is that they only have 2'X4' pieces, about $15.00 each.
It doesn't look like Baltic Birch, but I could be wrong on that.
Anybody know what this stuff is? Thanks.

BRuce

Gfretwell wrote:

I used some Oak ply from Lowes and never did find a void. edge banded
in oak and looked great.

Me too, just be careful with that sand paper. The "oak" is about 3 microns
thick and you can sand it off pretty easy

yep, fount that out too. :-( fortunatly the area in question was
easily masked and the color adjusted to match.

BRuce

Jamie Norwood

It is probably Chinese birch, It started coming in about a year ago. I
buy it for about $27.00 a (4x8) sheet from my cabinet supplier (50
sheets at at time) but it shouldn't be over $30.00 for a single piece.
The top veneer is actually very thin, although all plies are birch.
Make sure it is square, some of the stuff I got wasn't. I have quit
using it now because the quality has gone down. All the third world
countries do this with their plywood; they start out with a quality
product at a good price and then start dropping quality and raising
prices until no one buys it anymore.
Jamie

George wrote:

I got some of that 48x60 5-ply 1/4" stuff from a GP-wrapped stack at
Menards, only to find a cheap-looking purple stamp on some sheets with an
unmistakable Cyrillic "F-A" an abbreviation for factory (fabrika), and the
factory number. They used the same crummy ink and nomenclature on
everything during the Soviet days. I believe you may have Russian stuff
made on old Finnish equipment, sold by a US manufacturer. Or perhaps they
buy the veneers overseas and laminate here.

At any rate, the stuff was peeled white birch veneer, seems to display
pretty well, and is reasonably priced.

Interesting note - in Soviet days they not only stamped on manufacturer
information, but price, at the factory.

"klaatu" wrote in message
.. .

Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.
The veneer has good figure and would be OK for a cabinet carcase.
Problem is that they only have 2'X4' pieces, about $15.00 each.
It doesn't look like Baltic Birch, but I could be wrong on that.
Anybody know what this stuff is? Thanks.

Bruce Adams

I recently bought a couple of 1/4 sheets of 3/4" birch ply at the BORG to
make a bandsaw table. At a cursory glance (which was all I gave it at the
store) it looked like Baltic Birch or something similar. On closer
inspection once I'd gotten it home, I was amazed to find that the inner
plies were not uniform thickness. Not that seperate plies were different
thicknesses, but EACH ply varied in thickness. I can't even picture what
process could have produced these plies. Also, they must have to put a hell
of a lot of pressure on the finished sheet to get it to come out flat,
'cause it is definitely flat. Still, I think it'll work out fine for what I
bought it for... it's just really wierd stuff!
Bruce

BTW

"klaatu" wrote in message
Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.
The veneer has good figure and would be OK for a cabinet carcase.
Problem is that they only have 2'X4' pieces, about $15.00 each.
It doesn't look like Baltic Birch, but I could be wrong on that.
Anybody know what this stuff is? Thanks.

Fred the Red Shirt

klaatu wrote in message . ..
Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.
The veneer has good figure and would be OK for a cabinet carcase.
Problem is that they only have 2'X4' pieces, about $15.00 each.
It doesn't look like Baltic Birch, but I could be wrong on that.
Anybody know what this stuff is? Thanks.

The local HD has begun carrying Sande (A Central American hardood that
looks a bit like blond Mahogany) plywood. Hechingers used to carry it.

I found the half-inch stacked under a stack of birch plywoood. The
Sande had 7 plys fairly thick face veneers, and all the plys look to
be Sande. The birch had 5 plys, extemely thin face veneers, and the
interior plys were poplar. The Sande was noticeable lighter and much
stiffer.

So, apologizing in advance for possibly insulting you on your ability
to recognize wood species, are you sure the 14 ply sheets were birch?

--

FF
Fred the Red Shirt

klaatu wrote in message . ..
Thanks to all for your replys. I have no idea what wood the core is
made from. The veneer is Birch. If I can get some info from HD I will
post it.

I wouldn't count on finding anyone at HD who knows more than you.

--

FF

"Barada nikto too!"

Mark

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

klaatu wrote in message . ..

Thanks to all for your replys. I have no idea what wood the core is
made from. The veneer is Birch. If I can get some info from HD I will
post it.

I wouldn't count on finding anyone at HD who knows more than you.

Count on them knowing less.

Bill

"Bruce Adams" wrote in message ...
I recently bought a couple of 1/4 sheets of 3/4" birch ply at the BORG to
make a bandsaw table. At a cursory glance (which was all I gave it at the
store) it looked like Baltic Birch or something similar. On closer
inspection once I'd gotten it home, I was amazed to find that the inner
plies were not uniform thickness. Not that seperate plies were different
thicknesses, but EACH ply varied in thickness. I can't even picture what
process could have produced these plies. Also, they must have to put a hell
of a lot of pressure on the finished sheet to get it to come out flat,
'cause it is definitely flat. Still, I think it'll work out fine for what I
bought it for... it's just really wierd stuff!
Bruce

BTW

I was at my local HD last night and saw that they also carried 2'x4'
sheets of this stuff. What I also saw was that of the 5 sheets in the
bin, 3 of them had the core plys coming apart. One was so bad I
thought at first I was looking at a 1/4" piece of plywood. Maybe these
pieces came from a bad run or maybe the employees left the stack
outside in the rain. Whatever the case, I think I'll pass on this
stuff for now. At least from my area store (West Norriton, PA).

-Bill
Bob Haar

On 2003/10/29 3:02 AM, "Mark" wrote:

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

klaatu wrote in message
. ..

I wouldn't count on finding anyone at HD who knows more than you.

Count on them knowing less.

Maybe I have encountered some lucky exceptions, but I have talked with a
couple of people at our local HD that are quite knowledgeable. There are two
older men in the tools area that have help with me technical details of some
of the tools. In some cases, steering me towards their own stock, in other
cases, recommending specialty stores in the area. In other cases, I have
gotten helpful advice in electrical and plumbing areas.

I can say that the most helpful people look to be retirement age and might
be doing this as a side job after retirement. I would stay away from the 17
year old stock boy who doesn't even know what 2x4 means.

I saw a 7-ply ?? birch/maple at HD for $30.

I dont recall the number of plys, but it was not the "many" ply cabinet
stuff.

For $30 I was thinking it may be good for shop cabinets and misc
bookshelves/cabinets around the house.

Fred the Red Shirt

BRuce BRuce wrote in message news:1067309025.279097@sj-nntpcache-3...
I used some Oak ply from Lowes and never did find a void. edge banded
in oak and looked great.

I also have seen the blondewood but did not like the look of it. looked
too "coarse" to finish very well.

That sounds like Sande.

--

FF

Home Depot Scorns Christian Groups Ben Siders Woodworking 63 August 26th 04 02:52 PM
plywood question Rick Hughes UK diy 1 November 10th 03 10:52 AM
Home Depot, my kinda store! John DeBoo Woodworking 30 August 11th 03 05:45 AM