Rick Hughes

Default plywood question

I have loads of different grades of Ply ... anybody know of a good on-line
source that helps identify different standards for ply.

For example I have 1/2" ply .. in shuttering grade, WBP and Marine ....
understand the difference OK, but I also have some 1/2" ply that is made
from more individual plys than 'the standards'

It is very good quality, very dense and seems to be generally referred to as
Birch ply ... but I assumed Birch was referring to finish on one face only.
?

Any Ply experts want to enlighten ?

Rick

The Natural Philosopher

Rick Hughes wrote:

I have loads of different grades of Ply ... anybody know of a good on-line
source that helps identify different standards for ply.

For example I have 1/2" ply .. in shuttering grade, WBP and Marine ....
understand the difference OK, but I also have some 1/2" ply that is made
from more individual plys than 'the standards'

It is very good quality, very dense and seems to be generally referred to as
Birch ply ... but I assumed Birch was referring to finish on one face only.
?

Any Ply experts want to enlighten ?

Birch ply is ALL birch IIRC. Its excellent stuff. Its NOT fully
waterproof, but apart from that its the best.

Marine ply uses a fuly waterproof glue. Top line stuff usually.

I'd use the birch for gerenarl work, and marine on e.g. bathroom floors
and splash panels.

General purpose ply is OK for riough work - house cladding under a render coat etc.
Rick

Pushfit plumbing question Lee Blaver UK diy 18 October 23rd 03 07:58 AM
Tiling question. Mark S. UK diy 6 September 11th 03 01:07 PM
FAQ Question re. central heating Andy Hall UK diy 24 August 14th 03 02:31 PM