Mark S.

Default Tiling question.

Tiling my bathroom just a "silly" question regarding cut tiles.

The main wall I've done with full tiles has a gap around the three
edges that needs filling in.
Do you cut strips off full tiles as in will the edges be ok when they
are in and grouted?
Obviously some would have no machined edge on them being from the
middle of a tile. I have an electric tile cutter from Screwfix I used
to help my dad do his kitchen floor but there were loads of off cuts
with that job to use at the edges.

Sounds stupid just typing it but there you go... :-)

Mark S.

PS. picture at http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marknicesenior
if it works...

BigWallop

"Mark S." wrote in message
Tiling my bathroom just a "silly" question regarding cut tiles.

The main wall I've done with full tiles has a gap around the three
edges that needs filling in.
Do you cut strips off full tiles as in will the edges be ok when they
are in and grouted?
Obviously some would have no machined edge on them being from the
middle of a tile. I have an electric tile cutter from Screwfix I used
to help my dad do his kitchen floor but there were loads of off cuts
with that job to use at the edges.

Sounds stupid just typing it but there you go... :-)

Mark S.

PS. picture at http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marknicesenior
if it works...

Are the gaps around the edges only the size of a third of the tile ? That's
a bugger. The only thing I can suggest, is for you keep the centre bits for
along the top edge or near the top of the walls so they wont be seen to
readily. Also, when you come to grout, try not to press it in to hard at
the unglazed edges so the grout actually covers them a bit more than a
normal.

The link doesn't work, so I can't get a good look at the job.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BillR

Mark S. wrote:
Tiling my bathroom just a "silly" question regarding cut tiles.

The main wall I've done with full tiles has a gap around the three
edges that needs filling in.
Do you cut strips off full tiles as in will the edges be ok when they
are in and grouted?
Obviously some would have no machined edge on them being from the
middle of a tile. I have an electric tile cutter from Screwfix I used
to help my dad do his kitchen floor but there were loads of off cuts
with that job to use at the edges.

You don't use the middle bits of the tiles.
You cut strips off the edge of a tile including a glazed edge.
The glazed edge goes against, with grout spacer, the glazed edge of the
first complete tile.
The cut edge goes into the corner but don't make it too tight, allow a
couple of mm gap.
So you may be able to get 2 cut filling strips of tile from one complete
tile, if you're lucky .
The tile cutter you have is good for minimising tile wastage but does tend
to slightly chip the surface of the glaze. In any event whatever you use to
cut the tile its a no-no to have a cut edge anywhere except at the end or
round an obstacle.

Mark S.

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:19:09 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Mark S." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thought it might not - stupid Yahoo... :-)

They are about an inch/3cm wide, one wall needs leveling so there
won't be a gap there but there's a gap on one edge and at the ceiling.
Both about the same.

I don't mind using a full new tile if that's the proper way to do it
ie. not a bodge. They are not that expensive, about a tenner a box so
I'll be able to use both edges of each tile to get two strips from
them so it won't be too bad. Best to do it right first time etc.

For my first wall tiling effort it looks acceptable to anyone a bit
less fussy than me. Well those that have seen them said they were ok
anyway. :-)

Thanks for the pointers.

Mark S.

http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/marknicesenior
BigWallop

"Mark S." wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:19:09 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Mark S." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That link works. And I must say, What a Loverly job you've done for your
first attempt Mark.
:-)

If you can keep glazed edges together, then all the better, but if you do
have to use a cut edge, then try to hide it in position that is not seen all
that much.

Great job !!! Now get on with it and don't let me keep you back. :-))

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Mark S. wrote:
The main wall I've done with full tiles has a gap around the three
edges that needs filling in.
Do you cut strips off full tiles as in will the edges be ok when they
are in and grouted?
Obviously some would have no machined edge on them being from the
middle of a tile. I have an electric tile cutter from Screwfix I used
to help my dad do his kitchen floor but there were loads of off cuts
with that job to use at the edges.

Sounds stupid just typing it but there you go... :-)

In general, a portion cut from the middle of a tile will stand out, as
the edges usually have a slight taper which is glazed, so can't be
reproduced. Very wasteful if you need a lot of small bits.;-) The
exceptions would be things like solid marble etc tiles where you can use
any part - assuming you can cut a straight edge.

--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Simon Avery

Mark S. wrote:

Hello Mark

MS| The main wall I've done with full tiles has a gap around the
MS| three edges that needs filling in. Do you cut strips off
MS| full tiles as in will the edges be ok when they are in and
MS| grouted? Obviously some would have no machined edge on them
MS| being from the middle of a tile.

Nope - if you want a good finish, you only cut two slivers from each
tile, and discard the central section. Otherwise you do get exposed
grain, unless you grout proud which looks just as bad.

Stick 'em so the cut edge is towards the wall you're finishing off
against.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

FAQ Question re. central heating Andy Hall UK diy 24 August 14th 03 02:31 PM
Fitting toilet after tiling Roger Wareham UK diy 0 August 12th 03 01:44 PM
Tiling Question John UK diy 6 August 2nd 03 10:18 AM
Tiling Shower Area - adhesive spreading and tile cutting problems JohnB UK diy 7 July 20th 03 10:43 AM
Tiling Guides -any recommendations ? John Schmitt UK diy 5 July 14th 03 08:47 AM