klaatu

Default Plywood at Home Depot question.

Thanks to all for your replys. I have no idea what wood the core is
made from. The veneer is Birch. If I can get some info from HD I will
post it.

On 28 Oct 2003 08:54:02 -0800, (Fred the Red
Shirt) wrote:

klaatu wrote in message . ..
Hello all, I saw some 3/4" birch plywood at the borg that has 14 plys.
The veneer has good figure and would be OK for a cabinet carcase.
Problem is that they only have 2'X4' pieces, about $15.00 each.
It doesn't look like Baltic Birch, but I could be wrong on that.
Anybody know what this stuff is? Thanks.

The local HD has begun carrying Sande (A Central American hardood that
looks a bit like blond Mahogany) plywood. Hechingers used to carry it.

I found the half-inch stacked under a stack of birch plywoood. The
Sande had 7 plys fairly thick face veneers, and all the plys look to
be Sande. The birch had 5 plys, extemely thin face veneers, and the
interior plys were poplar. The Sande was noticeable lighter and much
stiffer.

So, apologizing in advance for possibly insulting you on your ability
to recognize wood species, are you sure the 14 ply sheets were birch?