Mike Hide

Default wild ass kitchen concept .

I am thinking of redoing our kitchen, I redid the whole thing many years ago
and am now tired of it .

First of all there is not enough room to swing a cat in. the countertops are
formica or at least the equivalent and I would like to repalace them with
the cheapest solid material that looks good and is the cheapest, granite,
slate ,marble whatever ,anything but corianor similar. most economic
recommendations appreciated.

Bookcases ! my wife wants a bookcase to put her cookbooks on and there flayt
is not enough space anywhere .So here is a question for the
nurogeekwoodworkers . Is it possible to have a pulldown flatscreen, that has
access to cookbooks on a Cd or the like that I could even load the family
cook book into ,suggstions amd directions would be appeciated ...mjh

--
mike hide
http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:22:31 GMT, "Mike Hide"
wrote:

First of all there is not enough room to swing a cat in.

Then you DEFINITELY don't want to let a wild ass in!

BArry
Doug Winterburn

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:22:31 +0000, Mike Hide wrote:

First of all there is not enough room to swing a cat in. the countertops
are formica or at least the equivalent and I would like to repalace them
with the cheapest solid material that looks good and is the cheapest,
granite, slate ,marble whatever ,anything but corianor similar. most
economic recommendations appreciated.

DAGS on +concrete +countertop. Lotsa pics and ideas, and you did say
"wild ass" ;-)

-Doug

Rob Stokes

I'm not doing a kitchen right now, but when it's time you can bet I'll be
looking at a poured-in-place concrete countertop. Why? I have no idea but
for some reason I just want to try and make one.

Rob

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
s.com...
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:22:31 +0000, Mike Hide wrote:

First of all there is not enough room to swing a cat in. the countertops
are formica or at least the equivalent and I would like to repalace them
with the cheapest solid material that looks good and is the cheapest,
granite, slate ,marble whatever ,anything but corianor similar. most
economic recommendations appreciated.

DAGS on +concrete +countertop. Lotsa pics and ideas, and you did say
"wild ass" ;-)

-Doug

Doug Winterburn

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:15:28 +0000, Rob Stokes wrote:

I'm not doing a kitchen right now, but when it's time you can bet I'll be
looking at a poured-in-place concrete countertop. Why? I have no idea but
for some reason I just want to try and make one.

We think alike (or not). All I know is every concrete project I've ever
done ends in the middle of the night with the halogen work lights on so I
can put the "finishing touch" on before collapsing from fatigue.

-Doug

Rob Stokes

You mean there's another way?

Actually, to be truthful, if I did a poured-in-place concrete counter I'd
have to buy the "food safe" version of that vinyl based levelling compound
to cover the swearing that results from the morning after things looked so
perfect under the halogen lights right after your neighbours have gone
home.....g!

Rob

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
s.com...
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:15:28 +0000, Rob Stokes wrote:

I'm not doing a kitchen right now, but when it's time you can bet I'll

be
looking at a poured-in-place concrete countertop. Why? I have no idea

but
for some reason I just want to try and make one.

We think alike (or not). All I know is every concrete project I've ever
done ends in the middle of the night with the halogen work lights on so I
can put the "finishing touch" on before collapsing from fatigue.

-Doug

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike Hide" wrote in message

Bookcases ! my wife wants a bookcase to put her cookbooks on and there

flayt
is not enough space anywhere .

That's a good thing. Cookbooks should not be kept in a kitchen with an
opens case or shelf. They will deteriorate much faster. They will become
coated with the same gunk that can accumulate in kitchens over time. You
don't wash books like you do cabinet doors or counters. Ours are in a pie
safe in the dining room.

So here is a question for the
nurogeekwoodworkers . Is it possible to have a pulldown flatscreen, that

has
access to cookbooks on a Cd or the like that I could even load the family
cook book into ,suggstions amd directions would be appeciated ...mjh

Expensive way of doing it and you are limited to viewing on the screen in
one location. Scan or type the favorites into a database or Word file.
Print out the recipe you need and stick it right in front of you when you
cook. You may want it near the sink, or near a prep counter or on the
kitchen table. Why be limited? So what if it gets sprayed or splattered,
you just print a fresh copy the next time you need it.

If you want to use recipe software, Now Your Cooking is one of the best DL
a trial copy at www.ffts.com

This is of course, just my opinion, but it is based on 20+ years of cooking.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Thu, Jul 24, 2003, 1:22am (EDT+4) (Mike=A0Hide),
who apparently has never heard of google, wants to know:
snip Is it possible to have a pulldown flatscreen, that has access to
cookbooks on a Cd or the like that I could even load the family cook
book into ,suggstions amd directions would be appeciated ...mjh

You don' need no steenkin' cookbooks.
CHEF2CHEF RECIPES ARCHIVE - 280,000+
http://chef2chef.com/
RECIPE4LIVING.COM http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes_8-19.html
INDOLINK - INDIAN RECIPES http://www.indolink.com/Recipe/ RECREATIONAL
MEDIVALISM - COOKBOOKS
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html LOOK SMART-LOW
CHOLESTERAL RECIPES
http://www.looksmart.com/eus1/eus522...54224/eus5416=
47/eus231288/eus588825/r?l&;;;;;
NATIVE FOODS & RECIPES http://www.nativetech.org/food/ ICHEF.COM
http://www.ichef.com/ MATHASTEWARD.COM http://www.marthastewart.com/
RECIPE SOURCE http://www.recipesource.com/ 1ST TRAVELER'S CHOICE
http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/recipe.htm ENGLISH RECIPES
http://www.recipezaar.com/browse/00F0B8 ETHNIC RECIPES
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/...0/recipes.html ALL
HOMEMADE COOKIES http://www.allhomemadecookies.com/index.html DESERT
RECIPES A TO Z http://dessert.allrecipes.com/AZ/ TRADITIONAL ENGLISH
RECIPES http://www.swv.ie/recipes/enghme.htm HOMEMADE COFFEE RECIPES
http://myria.com/moneyhomework/money/coffee.htm FOOD & NUTRITION
SOLUTIONS http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~robsond/solu...nutrition.html JUST
HOME MADE RECIPES http://www.melborponsti.com/homemade/index.shtml SOAR
THE SEARCHABLE ONLINE ARCHIVE OF RECIPES
http://soar.berkeley.edu/recipes/ SEABEECOOK.COM THE ONLINE INFORMATION
SOURCE FOR AMERICAN MILITARY COOKS AND BAKERS http://www.seabeecook.com/
HOW TO MAKE A DOMINICAN SANCOCHO
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~jtorres/domrep/sancocho.html HOW TO MAKE
AUTHENTIC SAN FRANCISCO SOURDOUGH FRENCH BREAD
http://www.joejaworski.com/bread1.htm SAFE HANDLING OF WILD GAME -- HOW
TO MAKE JERKY http://www.foodsafety.org/il/il074.htm HOW TO MAKE SUSHI
ROLLS http://www.stashtea.com/swinstru.htm SOUTH AFRICAN BILTONG
http://www.public.asu.edu/~gatuol/biltong.html HOW TO MAKE A PIE CRUST
http://www.teleport.com/~psyched/pie/crust.html HOW TO MAKE OUR OWN
CHILI POWDER OR SOME LIKE IT HOT
http://www.texascooking.com/features...hilepowder.htm HOW TO MAKE:
SPICY CHICKEN RELLENOS WIH TEQUILA LIME SAUCE
`http://www.betaray.com/ChickenRellenos.html HOW TO MAKE TOFU
http://soar.berkeley.edu/recipes/veg...w-to-make1.rec HOW TO
FIELD-DRESS YOUR DEER http://www.huntingpa.com/html/fdress.htm
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Blender Coc,onut Pie
2 cups milk =A0 =A0
1 teaspon vanilla
4 eggs =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
1/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar =A0 =A0
1/2 teaspoon salt
1cup flaked coconut
1/2 up baking mix
Whirl all ingredients in blender at high speed 2 minutes.Pourinto
greased and floured 9 inch pie dish. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven
45 minutes. Cool on rack.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0Pumpkin
Pie
1 12 0z. can evaporated milk
1 15 oz.can pumpkin
1/2 cup sugar =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspon pumpkin pie spice
Prepare pan and bake same as above
only add 10 or 15 minutes more baking
time. Jiggle it to see if it looks solid. Cool on rack. SOLAR COOKING
PLANS http://solarcooking.org/plans.htm CHRISTMAS CHEMISTRY (PEPPERMINT
CREAM WAFERS)
http://www.minnetonka.k12.mn.us/supp...christmas.html
CHRISTMAS RECIPES FORTHE HOLIDAY SEASON
http://www.santasletterbox.com/recipe.html SICKENING FOOD (FOOD SAFETY)
http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc99/12_18_99/food.htm JERKY RECIPES
http://www.melborponsti.com/speirs/jerky/ COOKING WITH SUSIE Q
http://bowhunting.net/susieq/default.htm CLIFF'S FANTASTIC JERKY
http://www.primenet.com/~ceyeager/jerky.html TURKEY BASICS FROM USDA
http://www.diac.com/~ekwall2/turkey.shtml OVEN-DRIED JERKY
http://www.diac.com/~ekwall2/jerky/ BARBECUE RECIPES AND SMOKED FOODS
http://www.cookshack.com/recipe.html ICE CREAM MAKING RECIPES
http://www.makeicecream.com/sendicec...creammakf.html HOMEMADE WINE
http://freespace.virgin.net/roger.simmonds/homepage.htm HOMEMADE GOURMET
PIZZA http://www.ghgcorp.com/coyej/pizza.htm HONEY RECIPES
http://www.honey.com/index.html HOMEMADE POWER BARS AND SPORTS DRINKS
http://www.blutech.com/laser/bardrink.html LARGE QUANTIFY FOOD
DEHYDRATION `http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/hooker41.html KRAFT
INTERACTIVE KITCHEN http://www.kraftfoods.com/index.cgi A TECHNICAL
WRITER'S CHICKEN SOUP RECIPE http://www.univox.com/writer/soup.html
ROCKY MOUNTAIN SURVIVAL GROUP
http://www.artrans.com/rmsg/cook/cooking.htm WILD CAT RANCH RECIPES
http://www.wildcatranch.net/recipes_web/recipes.htm HOMEMADE ICE CREAM
http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/homemade.html HOMEMADE DRINK
RECIPIES http://www.inforamp.net/~mcdermot/drinks.html THE ICE CREAM
PARLOUR http://www.dsuper.net/~zaz/icecream/frame.html CHEESE MAKING
http://www.leeners.com/cheesemaking1.html RECIPES (SCA?)
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy.../Recipies.html THE
COMPLEAT COOK (HOW TO PREPARE A FEAST - SCA)
http://pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/Compleat-Cook-art.text TO PREPARE A MOST
HONORABLE FEAST (SCA)
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc...ble_feast.html COOKING
IN OSTGARDR http://www.ostgardr.org/cooking/ ON DUTCH COOKERY
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~ferron/s...es/cookery.htm PRODUCE
OASIS http://www.produceoasis.com/ RECIPES FOR BREAST CANCER SURVIVORS
AND THEIR FRIENDS http://silcom.com/~noster/bcrecs.html LOW-FAT LIVING
http://www1.xe.net/lowfat/ 1,001 LOWFAT RECIPES COOKBOOKS
http://www.surreybooks.com/1001.htm FAST FOOD FACTS
http://www.olen.com:80/food/book.html FOOD FINDER (FAST FOODS)
http://www.olen.com/food/index.html CALORIE AND FAT GRAM CHART SORTED BY
FOOD http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/chart1.html CALORIE AND FAT GRAM
CHARTS FOR 1000 FOODS http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/ LOW CHOLOSTEROL
OATMEAL COOKIES
http://www.recipeland.com/l/low-chol...l_cookies.html
FATFREE: THE LOW FAT VEGETARIAN RECIPE ARCHIVE http://www.fatfree.com/
ASKMEN.COM: FAT FREE PIZZA
http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt/foodcourt7.html RECIPE BOOK
http://www.teez-net.com/realms/recipes/recipes.htm MEDIEVAL RECIPES
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Medieval.html HEART HEALTHY RECIPES
http://www.waukeshamemorial.org/cgi-bin/home.pl?recipes COOKING WITH
BEER http://www.pbsbeer.com/hosi/news/9810.html GOOD STUFF ONLINE:
RECIPES http://www.goodstuffonline.com/recipes.html CYBERDIET.COM:
WEIGHT LOSS, ETC. http://www.cyberdiet.com/ HEALTHY BREAD RECIPES
http://www.cyberdiet.com/bread_index/breads.html DIETARY APPROACHES TO
LOWERING CHOLESTEROL
http://www.usc.edu/hsc/pharmacy/ced/...l/DietChl2.htm THE
CHOLOSTEROL MYTHS - SECTION 1 http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-25775/myth1.htm
THE NUTRITIONIST http://walford.com/nutrition.htm NUTRITIOUSLY GOURMET
http://www.nutritiouslygourmet.com/ LOOKSMART - EASTERN MEDICINE
http://www.looksmart.com/eus1/eus539...5030/r?l&;;;;;
AMERICAN GINSENG MANUAL http://countryadvertiser.com/ginseng.html HEALTH
& NUTRITION
http://www.foodmarketexchange.com/pe...p_hn_index.htm NUTRIENT
PROFILES OF VEGETABLE AND NUT OILS http://www.netrition.com/nuts.html
INDEX OF/PRODUCTS (NUTRITION FACTS) http://www.pavich.com/products/
MIKE'S CALORIE AND FAT GRAM CHART FOR 1000 FOODS (SORTED BY PROTEIN
CONTENT)
http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/chart3a.htm HOW TO MAKE A STOCK POT IN THE
BRITISH ARMY http://suite101.com/article.cfm/diary_of_mad_cook/22187
SIXTY USES OF VINEGAR http://www.palis.com/private/VINEGAR.HTM HOW TO
MAKE GINGER BEER
http://www.nz.com/NZ/Culture/Food/GingerBeer.html HOME-HEALTH RESOURCES
APTHECARY PAGE http://www.homehealthresource.net/apothecary.html COMMON
AND SCIENTIFIC NAMES OF HERBS http://w3.one.net/~wiccanc/Glossary.html
GAIL'S RECIPE SWAP
http://food4.epicurious.com/HyperNew...201-12300.html
BARBECUE'N ON THE INTERNET http://www.barbecuen.com/ HOW-TO GUIDES
http://chefmom.myria.com/features/How-to_Guides/ A GUIDE TO 20 PLANTS
AND THEIR USES BY THE CREE
http://www.schoolnet.ca/aboriginal/l...s/index-e.html
MAKE-STUFF http://www.make-stuff.com/formulas/index.html

JOAT
Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put
off until, let's say, next year.
- Lady Myria LeJean.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...All/page4.html

Nova

Mike Hide wrote:

snip

Bookcases ! my wife wants a bookcase to put her cookbooks on and there flayt
is not enough space anywhere .So here is a question for the
nurogeekwoodworkers . Is it possible to have a pulldown flatscreen, that has
access to cookbooks on a Cd or the like that I could even load the family
cook book into ,suggstions amd directions would be appeciated ...mjh

A laptop in a pull-out drawer?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Doug Winterburn

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 03:08:35 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

This is of course, just my opinion, but it is based on 20+ years of
cooking. Ed

I agree, Ed - but the OL insists on putting every new cookbook on the
counter where it can get spattered with oil. I bought one of those lexan
holders that would hold it upright and keep the oil off of it, but
apparently it didn't fit with her idea of the kitchen decor :-(

I've since taken up memorizing the recipes I like and to hell with the
cookbooks. Besides, unless you're baking, you just need a pinch of this,
a dash of that and a palm-full of the other stuff, and then season to taste.

-Doug

Bob Bowles

My wife collects cookbooks also. I posted a couple of pics on
www.spaltedboard.com Bragging Board forum of a sideboard with storage
of cookbooks that might be an alternate solution. Our kitchen redo 3
years ago included a cabinet with drawers under the cooktop.
Contractor cut drawers to fit under cooktop leaving a very shallpw
drawer. There is just enough space for spice jars to lie flat so I
fit some 1/4" strips between the rows and they're near the place where
they're used. Used to be on stepped arrangement inside near cabinet
but this frees up that space also.

wrote:

Bookcases ! my wife wants a bookcase to put her cookbooks on and there flayt
is not enough space anywhere .

Bubba

For gawds sake avoid any sort of carbonate stone. Marble, limestone,
travertine, etc. The stuff just plain does not stand up under traffic, use,
mild abrasion or dilute acids. You can scratch it with a penny and etch it
with lemon juice, tomato juice or carbonated beverages. Chemically, it's
about the same material as an eggshell. If you want a demonstration of it's
durability, soak an egg overnight in a glass of coke. Builders and interior
designers push the stuff a lot, but it's a disaster about to happen. They
claim that "sealing" it will fix the problem. The sealer is just a coat of
polyurithane and lasts just long enough for the installer to collect his
paycheck.

"Mike Hide" wrote in message
[...]

jbaron

Default wild ass kitchen concept -flat screen

I have seen a flat screen made by Compaq that stores horizontally. Pushing
on it causes it to slide out and pop into the vertical position. The only
place I have actually used/seen this is in a rack of servers where they
share a common keyboard and screen. So this is part of what can easily be
$100k worth of equip. I do not know if you can buy these screens
seperately, or if they are even available to the general public. The only
thing I can say for sure is that they do exisit and that it would be very
slick idea in the kitchen.
JB

"Mike Hide" wrote in message
[...]

JackD

Bookcases ! my wife wants a bookcase to put her cookbooks on and there

flayt
is not enough space anywhere .So here is a question for the
nurogeekwoodworkers . Is it possible to have a pulldown flatscreen, that

has
access to cookbooks on a Cd or the like that I could even load the family
cook book into ,suggstions amd directions would be appeciated ...mjh

--
mike hide
http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

I have seen a concept house where the output from the computer was projected
onto the work surface.
Used voice recognition to navigate etc. but had a keyboard tucked away in a
drawer somewhere I think.

Completely hands free but requires that at least some of your countertop is
not covered with bowls, plates, etc.and is not too highly figured.

An alternative would be to build the flat panel into one of the cabinet
doors.

-Jack

Montyhp

I've thought about concrete, too. Everything I read says that it is a
"complicated project" that must be done by an "experienced professional"
(Dr. Evil emphasis added). I haven't done much concrete work, but I would
think that building forms is no more complicated than the woodworking skills
of the average rec.woodworker and a few bags of readymix are just not that
expensive. The biggest risk is that the kitchen would be down for a few
days longer than necessary if I had to bust the thing up and haul to the
dump.

What am I missing?

Noel Montgomery

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
s.com...
I'm not doing a kitchen right now, but when it's time you can bet I'll be
looking at a poured-in-place concrete countertop. Why? I have no idea but
for some reason I just want to try and make one.

Rob

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
s.com...
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:22:31 +0000, Mike Hide wrote:

First of all there is not enough room to swing a cat in. the countertops
are formica or at least the equivalent and I would like to repalace

them
with the cheapest solid material that looks good and is the cheapest,
granite, slate ,marble whatever ,anything but corianor similar. most
economic recommendations appreciated.

DAGS on +concrete +countertop. Lotsa pics and ideas, and you did say
"wild ass" ;-)

-Doug

Rob Stokes

thirty days to cure, but not to dry. You could peel the forms the next day
and slap plywood on top untill the hardness started to come up....

Damn....this could be fun.

Rob
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Montyhp" wrote in message
I've thought about concrete, too. Everything I read says that it is a
"complicated project" that must be done by an "experienced professional"
(Dr. Evil emphasis added). I haven't done much concrete work, but I

would
think that building forms is no more complicated than the woodworking

skills
of the average rec.woodworker and a few bags of readymix are just not

that
expensive. The biggest risk is that the kitchen would be down for a few
days longer than necessary if I had to bust the thing up and haul to the
dump.

What am I missing?

I am not an expert. But I have seen a couple programs on it. Both of the
programs stated that the concrete takes about 30 days to cure. It didn't
look that hard to do. If you followed the procedure exactly, you should

be
OK. But you wouldn't have a kitchen for month.

The quckest, cheapest way for a granite countertop is granite tiles.

Charlie Self

Montyhp asks:

Does it really have to totally cure before you could use the kitchen? I
have seen concrete cured with wet burlap bags to keep it damp. Could you
just keep wet towels on the countertop and use carefully? The towels would
keep the concrete damp and cushion from dropped dishes.

I doubt it. But I also doubt you'd have to wait 30 days. Concrete is
theoretically said to never quite cure, reaching certain percentages of cure
over specific periods of time. I've seen carpenters nail, with regular mild
steel nails, sole plates to concrete floors in 3 day "dry" concrete, walking
along the concrete, but being careful to stay off edges. IIRC, which I may not
after 20 years, a 30 day cure is for something like a driveway, or a floor that
is to get heavy use. Concrete continues to harden for years after that.

Charlie Self

"On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation
in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does."
Will Rogers

McQualude

Mike Hide spaketh...

Bookcases ! my wife wants a bookcase to put her cookbooks on

those silly wives, so little idea of what technology could do for them,
ahem

Is it possible to have a pulldown flatscreen,
that has access to cookbooks on a Cd or the like that I could even
load the family cook book into

yes

,suggstions amd directions would be appeciated ...mjh

you are one of many, go here and read, read, read

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/index.php
http://www.diyaudio.com/
http://www.hommie.net/
http://www.diyprojection.com/

you should include voice recognition so that she doesn't have to operate
the computer while her hands are messy
--
McQualude
Scott Brownell

Rob Stokes wrote:

thirty days to cure, but not to dry. You could peel the forms the next day
and slap plywood on top untill the hardness started to come up....

Damn....this could be fun.

Rob

Uh-huh..the first time the little woman drops a favorite plate or a
glass slips out of her hand from a distance of only a couple of
inches..who's gonna be on top of the "DEEP DO-DO" list? LOL!

Scott
up later, the damage remains.

Tom Watson

wrote:

I am thinking of redoing our kitchen, I redid the whole thing many years ago
and am now tired of it .

Ah Michael, it is easier to amend your expectations than to do the
hard work of conforming them to reality.

First of all there is not enough room to swing a cat in.

But, is there still enough room to make breakfast in? A smallish
kitchen is easier to clean than the bigass kitchens that are in
fashion now. Do we really need so big an area to prepare food in?

If the answer is yes, then you may need to do a bump out addition to
the kitchen area, so that it may include people as well as food.

An idea that I am fond of is a garden room sort of thing, where the
people are in a sort of atrium and the kitchen work continues in the
original space.

#2 Granite currently goes for about the same money installed as Corian
and its brethren. You don't have as much color (colour?) choice in
the #2 but the money tradeoff can work magic with your attitude.

Bookcases ! my wife wants a bookcase to put her cookbooks on and there flayt
is not enough space anywhere .So here is a question for the
nurogeekwoodworkers . Is it possible to have a pulldown flatscreen, that has
access to cookbooks on a Cd or the like that I could even load the family
cook book into ,suggstions amd directions would be appeciated ...mjh

If you are actually blessed with a wife who really enjoys cookery,
then a simple laptop on a pullout shelf should be sufficient to give
her access to the web and all the possibilities such access implies.

Remember, Michael, I've seen your work and I am sure that your
creative mind will come up with the appropriate solution.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

#2 Granite currently goes for about the same money installed as Corian
and its brethren. You don't have as much color (colour?) choice in
the #2 but the money tradeoff can work magic with your attitude.

I was able to install a granite counter top, with undermount sink as a DIY
project. The BORG did not "allow" DIY instalation but I was able to beat their
price for the material at a local stone cutting yard. Instalation was no
problem except that it required a couple of friends to carefully carry the
counter top from the truck to the kitchen. Also be aware that counter tops (or
other stome sheets) must be transported on edge. I improvised a carrying rack
for this purpose but you might consider delivery.
Kilroy

Default Concrerte counters (was: wild ass kitchen concept)

On the general topic of DIY councrete counters, I'd recommend "Concrete
Countertops: Design, Form, and Finishes for the New Kitchen and Bath"
by Fu-Tung Cheng. Amazon has it at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...1060020885/sr=
8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-9001540-3922249?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I found the book very interesting, and while we went with another method
for a recent remodel, I wouldn't hesitate to try concrete after reading
this book.

-Killroy

Bill wrote:

: If you only put a screen there and it is not a touch screen then you also
: need a keyboard. A cheap lap top might the the way to go.

Another solution is an "Internet Appliance". None of these have been
very successful in the market and you can often find them either on
closeout or ebay. It will require some "geeking" to make work, but
can be a great solution if you're technically inclined.

For example, I have a 3Com "Audrey" internet appliance on my kitchen
counter for displaying recipes. It connects via ethernet to my Linux
server, which serves the recipes using some Perl cgi scripts that
provide a nice interface. All of the recipes were entered via a
Windows program ("MasterCook"), exported to a text file, and converted
to individual HTML files using another Perl script. One of these days
I need to write a couple more scripts so that recipes can be entered
directly, and add better search capability (other than by name)...

Physically, the Audrey is smallish (it fits neatly on the counter) and
since it has no fan or disk it is silent. It's got a color 640x480
touchscreen and an IR keyboard that hangs on the back, out of sight
except on the rare occasion it's needed. Cost me less than $100 for
the unit and USB-ethernet adapter.

-Brett

--
Brett B. Bonner This planet needs a lot more kids who think
taking the lawnmower's engine apart is *way*