Tom Watson

Default wild ass kitchen concept .

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:22:31 GMT, "Mike Hide"
wrote:

I am thinking of redoing our kitchen, I redid the whole thing many years ago
and am now tired of it .

Ah Michael, it is easier to amend your expectations than to do the
hard work of conforming them to reality.

First of all there is not enough room to swing a cat in.

But, is there still enough room to make breakfast in? A smallish
kitchen is easier to clean than the bigass kitchens that are in
fashion now. Do we really need so big an area to prepare food in?

If the answer is yes, then you may need to do a bump out addition to
the kitchen area, so that it may include people as well as food.

An idea that I am fond of is a garden room sort of thing, where the
people are in a sort of atrium and the kitchen work continues in the
original space.

the countertops are
formica or at least the equivalent and I would like to repalace them with
the cheapest solid material that looks good and is the cheapest, granite,
slate ,marble whatever ,anything but corianor similar. most economic
recommendations appreciated.

#2 Granite currently goes for about the same money installed as Corian
and its brethren. You don't have as much color (colour?) choice in
the #2 but the money tradeoff can work magic with your attitude.

Bookcases ! my wife wants a bookcase to put her cookbooks on and there flayt
is not enough space anywhere .So here is a question for the
nurogeekwoodworkers . Is it possible to have a pulldown flatscreen, that has
access to cookbooks on a Cd or the like that I could even load the family
cook book into ,suggstions amd directions would be appeciated ...mjh

If you are actually blessed with a wife who really enjoys cookery,
then a simple laptop on a pullout shelf should be sufficient to give
her access to the web and all the possibilities such access implies.

Remember, Michael, I've seen your work and I am sure that your
creative mind will come up with the appropriate solution.

Regards, Tom
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson